PDA

View Full Version : coastlines with cloud layers...

TheMarcus7
02-26-2010, 05:20 PM
I've noticed that most of the tutorials use the method of putting clouds/difference clouds and then adding and subtracting with a brush, rather than just drawing the outline you want. Is there a specific technical reason for doing things this way, or is it just easier to get a good looking coastline this way?

.TM7

Coyotemax
02-26-2010, 05:28 PM
I've used a variety of methods, and I find that different ways are good for different effects.

The rendered cloud method is great for the more atlas/satellite styled maps, as you can get some nicely detailed coastlines. It's a lot easier and quicker than trying to dray all those tiny inlets and bits by hand and still keep them looking semi-random/natural :)

For hand drawn styled maps, I either draw them out by hand entirely from scratch, or start with the rendered clouds for the randomness and draw over the edges on another layer.

Personal preference there, of course.

Ascension
02-26-2010, 05:41 PM
Aye, clouds are used just for the purpose of randomness. If you have a continent shape already in mind then using clouds makes the process a lot harder but can still be done once you know your way around the software.

TheMarcus7
02-26-2010, 08:19 PM
Okay, that matches what I thought. I'm learning a lot, but its slow going. I'm grinding through Ascension's Antique Map tute. I'll probably post some results to my Kingdom of the West thread when I have something that doesn't look like a**.

.TM7