PDA

View Full Version : *** Feb 2010 Challenge Voting - OPDC***

Ascension
02-27-2010, 12:15 PM
This month's challenge was to create a one page dungeon for the One Page Dungeon Contest (OPDC). Pretty simple and straightforward...it all has to fit on one standard piece of paper. The only other requirements are to have a name, author, map, and link to the creative commons license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/), and no game stats so that it can be used for different gaming systems.

Vote for two (2)

Link to Thumbnails (http://www.cartographersguild.com/utilities/Thumbs/Html/Challengers_Feb10.htm)

Don't forget to rep the ones you vote for or any other ones you feel like deserve rep even if you didn't vote for them :)

Immolate
02-27-2010, 12:46 PM
This month was one of those months when chosing a winner was like Robert Jordan's "choosing between two sunsets". Each is unique, but beautiful in its own right, and worthy of a vote.

I chose Ascension's "Tunnels of Turrack the Terrible" and Mrrkyl's "U-Turn Challenge" because they both evoked fond memories of old hand-drawn maps of the sort we used to make in the actual old days. I started playing Dungeons and Dragons back in 1978, and then everything was new and cool. Neither Acension's nor Mrrkyl's entries could have been pulled off back then. We didn't have the tools or the subtlety to do either, but we all would have recognized their dungeons as having been created by kindred spirits.

I could have as easily chosen pretty much any of the other ones and not felt awkward. You all deserve to win and I will reward you all the only way I can. Have some rep contributors!

Ascension
02-27-2010, 01:11 PM
Since I was putting this thread together I had to look at all of these maps for about an hour so I got pretty familiar with them. I'm picking DJ and Imm. Imm did the map that I wanted to do but didn't know how to get started on it (I've been in a funk for a month now). DJ because he's trying something other than hand-drawn and I always applaud trying new things...especially when it comes out as natural as the other things he does. Now those are just the two I'm picking for now. All of these are way sweet and it's very hard to pick just two, for me. Clearly, we all understand what we're doing and how we're doing it AND that we have all made a fair number of dungeons in the past. Ah the good ole days, the smell of the paper and hot eraser, the lead on our hands, the limitless ideas in our heads. These all bring back great memories for me. Let me just add that you all rock so keep it up and you're all getting a nice whomp from my +15 holy bastard sword of enlightened repping. Oh and you guys rock :)

Immolate
02-27-2010, 01:15 PM
Mine's just a +5 Holy Rearranger. I'm feeling blade envy.

Oh, just got back from looking at all the link dungeons at the OPDC homepage and I have to say, there's some real talent over there. Without the benefit of expert criticism and guidance that we here all enjoy on a daily basis, there is much evidence of creative genius. I think the Cartographer's Guild will represent well enough, but we have lots of worthy competition.

Redrobes
02-27-2010, 01:27 PM
Shout if anyone has a bad thumbnail - we have had some problems with the new layout but on the whole its been ok.

RobA
02-27-2010, 01:32 PM
As a quick note, I've closed all the threads during the voting period as per past practice.

Lots of great entries here, hope everyone is also submitting as per the requirements to the OPDC!

I was really torn in my votes, but I'm a sucker for "puzzle" dungeons, so I ended up choosing Djekspek - Rotating Madness and Mrrkyl - U-Turn Challenge. If I had a third vote it would have gone to Immolate - The Bone Harvest Horror cause the iso work is great.

Kudo's to all, though! Everyone put in a super showing! (oh yeah - and I beat you all with my rep stick... hope it didn't hurt too much ;) )

-Rob A>

ravells
02-27-2010, 01:40 PM
I think best that I recuse myself from voting this month as I'm on the panel for the OPDC proper....beautiful entries one and all and some rep headed your way!

Coyotemax
02-27-2010, 04:50 PM
It would have been great to have 5 votes, it was hard to narrow it down to just 2 :)

Well done to all who entered, one of these times I'll try my hand at this again.

Steel General
02-27-2010, 04:57 PM
Another difficult vote... in the end I chose Djekspek for the innovative idea and RobA because he collaborated with his son on the entry.

mearrin69
02-27-2010, 05:05 PM
Yeah. Tough to vote for just two. I went with Djekspek's because it was just so pro-looking and Immolate's because of the beautiful detail. Ascension and Mrrkyl were up there...and they're all great maps so rep all around! :)
M

P.S. Um, yeah, except my unfinished one. :) Guess I didn't withdraw in time...and, to top it off, I did not put a proper tag on my latest wip so there's an even less finished version showing. Redrobes: please feel free to remove my entry or, if you have to leave it, could you point it at the image in post 12 (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?9156-February-Entry-The-Tomb-of-Le-Wushi&p=101702&viewfull=1#post101702) of my thread? Only if it's not a bother to do it. Thanks.

Ascension
02-27-2010, 05:13 PM
Sorry about that mearrin, I hadn't read your withdrawal before putting up the voting. I'll see what I can do about putting a tag in for ya. Did that, looks ok.

Davros01
02-28-2010, 08:23 AM
my first time in one of these contests. Thanks to all of the feedback. Great looking maps everyone has.

Marc

mearrin69
02-28-2010, 10:20 AM
Looks like he's going to go four in a row. Another first. We need the Unreal Tournament announcer, "UNSTOPPABLE!" :)
M

Juggernaut1981
02-28-2010, 04:02 PM
Woot, wooden spoon number 2... :S. Always confidence inspiring:P
Oh well...

ravells
02-28-2010, 05:03 PM
It probably doesn't need to be said, but IF YOU WANT YOUR ENTRY TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THE OPDC, THEN POST IT THERE OR MAKE A LINK ASAP!!

ravells
02-28-2010, 05:32 PM
Woot, wooden spoon number 2... :S. Always confidence inspiring:P
Oh well...

For what it's worth, I thought your entry rocked.

Redrobes
02-28-2010, 07:19 PM
I thought it was great too but some of the detail was so small I couldn't see how it would print. And not being a modern / Cthulu player I couldn't get gripped by the adventure. But the map rendering, the font, border and splats were all done superbly. Its a top map with top marks for the technical and art but for me just not in this challenges requirements context. The thing is that the other compo seems to have many more Cthulu types so I think it will do better. It would not surprise me at all if the chosen map winners in the two compos are of very different styles.

I went with Immolates because it has great variety of encounters and it looks like it would be a lot of fun to play it. It was not so well rendered and Immolate has said about that but my vote was swayed by the challenge more than the map this time. I went with Robs second cos it looked well designed and rendered and done on inkscape it was clear and looked like it would print well.

As usual we all need about half a dozen votes....

mrrkyl
03-01-2010, 06:46 AM
This was a difficult contest to vote on since content needed to be considered as well as aesthetics. All of the entries were visually appealing in floor plan, layout and atmosphere but some of the encounter keys weren't as inspired. My votes went to the two in which inspiring content and visual appeal came together to present a complete package: The Sanitorium Creekfield (Davros01) and Mine! Not Yours! (RobA). Of all the entries, "The Tomb of Le Wushi" (mearrin69) was the one I most looked forward to seeing complete. If it continued the way it was going, it would have gotten my vote. The Bone Harvest Horror (Immolate) was incredibly ambitious and almost got my vote just for that.

NeonKnight
03-01-2010, 07:46 AM
My votes went to Djekspek and Immolate. Having had subscriptions to Dragon Magazine and Dungeon Magazine in the past, I was familiar with One Page dungeons, and viewed all entries as the DM in me would. Does it look Interesting (both to me and my players) Is I all 'there' (concept, encounters, etc).

Other entries were cool, but lacked the quickie adventure feel.

Good Job All!

wormspeaker
03-01-2010, 11:19 AM
I voted for DJ and Jugg. The rotating tomb just looks like so much fun to run. Though I could see needing to cut out the map so that I could rotate it and keep track of the current configuration. The power of Cthulhu compelled me to vote for Jugg's entry.

Redrobes
03-01-2010, 02:33 PM
Hey Jugg, ill take that spoon if you don't mind ! :D

Juggernaut1981
03-01-2010, 03:44 PM
RedRobes> I hereby knight thee with this weapon... Sir Wooden of the Spoon

rdanhenry
03-02-2010, 12:17 AM
I voted for Ascension's Tunnels of Turrack the Terrible and Juggernaut1981's Dr. Tsath's Laboratory. The first is full of old-timey goodness, makes excellent use of randomization, has a great font choice, and just seems right all around. Print and go. Dr. Tsath's Laboratory lacks a little in specificity, but that makes it perfect for a player handout. Again, print and serve. Moody, period, and lovely, it is a wonderful bit of work. It was hardest not to vote for the two entries leading the vote. Djekspek provided a very creative entry, with a good backstory, and excellent presentation. However, some of the floor looks more like modern kitchen tile than something I'd expect in a crypt. The scale seems off, too. I'd think a grand tomb of such legendary nature ought to be a bit bigger. Finally, the bevel on the walls doesn't really work for me. These are all very minor issues, but once I got down to four choices, that was all that was left. The Bone Harvest appeals with its wonderful bits of detail drawing. Unfortunately, near the end, these were somewhat detracted from by IMO overdoing the paper texture and grunge, so that these drawing are not shown to best effect. Also, the mummies kind of look like they're flying, but I think that would have been mentioned if it were intended. The text has also been made less contrasting than it could be for easier reading. Again, this is very fine piece of work and very hard to eliminate from consideration. Really, the whole competition was full of good work and I expect all of them will see use by someone.

Immolate
03-02-2010, 05:07 AM
Ascension - is there an official end date/time for this poll?

Ascension
03-02-2010, 08:38 AM
5 days from when I put it up, so that would be tomorrow.

ravells
03-02-2010, 03:26 PM
Thanks so much for doing this Ascension....my trials have settled but I now need to catch up on all the work I've deferred....give me a week or so and I'll be back to normal.

Ascension
03-02-2010, 05:03 PM
No problem, bro. It's not like it's hard or anything. Wait, I mean, phew, I almost killed myself :)

Boethius61
03-02-2010, 07:41 PM
Okay, top marks to DJ . . . again.

But I have to say I absolutely loved Juggernauts use of a home architect program (broderbund??). Totally sweet! As a gamer, cartographer, and carpenter it touched me at so many levels. Plus, I myself have done a fair share of dungeon building on a home arc. I thought it had a really smooth incorporation with the bigger image and format. I hereby award you the Boethius Blueprint Bonanza ribbon, for what it is worth.

jaerdaph
03-03-2010, 12:06 AM
That was tough - every entry deserves to win!

Excellent, excellent work everyone! :)

Djekspek
03-06-2010, 01:01 PM
eya, just came back from holidays (without internet access :( ) so i hope my votes still count (the poll was still open so i guess it worked :) . Really hard as all entries look pretty pro. In the end i voted for immolate and GP's map. cheers!

Immolate
03-06-2010, 02:46 PM
I'm glad you got a chance to vote Djekspek. I think Ascension must have been distracted by real life as the poll should have been closed days ago. I'm sure someone will close it soon.

Ascension
03-06-2010, 03:20 PM
I set it for 5 days, must be something about the new software. I was sick for 2 weeks and then I pulled some ribcage muscles and I've been dealing with that for three weeks now (boy does that suck, very painful to move) so life has been blah. I thought Ravs was gonna do the award but if he doesn't then I'll take care of that tonight.

Djekspek
03-06-2010, 05:44 PM
ouch, i had that too sometime ago and indeed that is very painfull (couldnt move for a couple of days). I hope the painkillers work well and that its getting better soon!

ravells
03-07-2010, 05:56 AM
Sorry....I'm at the tail end of being r/l busy....if you could do the Award, that would be great Ascension....cheers!! I should be back to normal next week.

Djekspek
03-07-2010, 06:18 AM
wow, another shiny medal!.... since i joined the guild i decided also to join the challenges to improve my mapping/drawing skills as they set focus and a deadline. Each month there were really great entries and somehow i was able to 'get the right touch' on my maps that made it stand out. It's really great to see that people like what I'm doing, but tbh I'm feeling a little awkward about this (hmm... dont really know how to put this in words) But again thanks to all for voting for my entry and also thanks and rep for all who entered! cheers