PDA

View Full Version : March Entry: Snow Country

Gamerprinter
03-03-2010, 04:23 AM
When my mother was a little girl, she lived in Akita, which is about 60 miles from Iwaizumi, so it appears. She always refers to that part of Honshu as Snow Country. She remembers walking to school in deep snow wearing straw boots, as was common in that part of the country. In honor to her, I will call this map of Iwaizumi, as Snow Country.

As the name suggests, I plan to do this in a snow bound state, as that is what the adventure mentions. Where my Yuleblood map was a bit cartoony this is intended to be more realistic. We'll see how that goes.

Here's a rough sketch. I created some 3D buildings just for some reference and to show show some Japanese details. I plan to do an iso-ish map - its only 250 poepole, its not likeI need to draw more than 30 or so buildings. So it should make a fine entry. Let me know what you think?

Other reasons for doing this in ISO is that I want to show terracing in the rice fields and other details that don't show well in top downs. As mentioned in Redrobes thread, I plan to place an inset probably in the top right of the map showing a regional view with mountain details.

This will be hand-drawn iso winter map... this should be fun!

GP

PS: I loaded the wrong imageso reuploaded the correct one, but I can't seem to delete the other one...

Steel General
03-03-2010, 07:36 AM
Looks like a good start GP... I was able to delete/remove the the extra image.

mearrin69
03-03-2010, 11:59 AM
The layout's convincing. Looking forward to seeing how this goes...don't think I've seen isometric from you before. Good luck.
M

Gamerprinter
03-03-2010, 08:20 PM
OK, some improvements to the sketch and just a tad bit color - more to get the feel of things. I need to add a couple more houses, many more fields and some trees. The shrine area needs more... I'm putting the tanner on the far right side along the banks of the river, partially off map. I'll place the inset of the regional in the top right over some of the fields. I want to make the west side of the north river more wildernessy. I need to add in the bridge. Lots of clean up, lining the images up better, etc.

Moving along.

GP

### Latest WIP ###

PlumCrazy
03-03-2010, 10:41 PM
I'm really diggin' on this. Love the line work and its overall feel.

Gamerprinter
03-04-2010, 12:01 AM
Thanks PlumCrazy! I am feeling inspired on this one as well.

Only added a few more buildings, when I decided to try a bit harder on the color scheme. I wanted to see what the roofs would look like with snow on them - I think it worked.

I see the stream moved again - grrr.

Next rice paddies, trees and that bridge.

GP

### Latest WIP ###

mearrin69
03-04-2010, 04:17 AM
That's lookin' purdy.

Might I suggest trying a hint of bluish-purple in the shadows on the snow? I was just looking at a book on landscape painting and was surprised by how much purple the guy had put into the shadows...and how I failed to notice it until he pointed it out.
M

Gamerprinter
03-04-2010, 06:16 AM
Good point Mearrin69 - so I made the shadows purple. I also decided to show what I plan on doing with the ground snow, though I need more details yet, I want to cut the paths and fields before I do any more. That's drawing, so that's tomorrow. Quickee update!

GP

### Latest WIP ###

Gamerprinter
03-04-2010, 03:31 PM
Doing detail work now. A few trees, lots more to do. Some fields - I decided adding some crop stubs would look better, and it does, which means the four original fields need stubs too. I detailed the stone paving in the square, and extended some of the snow path trails.

More to go, but progressing.

GP

### Latest WIP ###

waldronate
03-04-2010, 07:31 PM
Looks good! Something seems odd about the perspective on the shrine, though. I'm not sure if it's the perspective in the neighboring fields or river or something else that's throwing me off, but the shrine looks like it's tilted toward the viewer about 15 degrees. Everything else looks consistent.

Gamerprinter
03-04-2010, 07:49 PM
Not sure why that would be. I created roofs in 3D and and placed them all at the same height and level as all the other roofs. I hand-drew the rest of the buildings but followed the perspective of the roofs. So I can't say why it might look off?? I know the 3D is correct...

The torii gate is just hand-rendered in without reference, that could be off...

GP

waldronate
03-04-2010, 10:44 PM
I noticed that you'd done the rough in a 3D package, which is why I thought it was particularly odd about the shrine. Most likely it's just me.

Immolate
03-04-2010, 11:35 PM
The left side of the temple gutter line is closer to vertical than the right side, which isn't how it works. Both gutter lines should theoretically converge at the vanishing point. The eye picks up on the fact that these two parallel lines actually diverge and it looks... wrong.

Gamerprinter
03-04-2010, 11:48 PM
I'll fix it, but true isometric doesn't have perspective - only implied angles. So it must be how I drew the building beneath the roof to imply perspective which isn't supposed to be how it was drawn. Lazy hand, I guess.

GP

Gamerprinter
03-05-2010, 02:09 AM
I fixed the shrine, added trees, and more rice fields.

I wanted to see what it looked like at print scale, plus I added some labels, more to get an idea how much room I had to place insets and such. The inset for the regional is a bit small, but I'm not going to move the temple. I tried placing it in different corners, but the top right was still best. Still need to add the bridge and finish the details in the top left and bottom right corners. Plus arrowed labels pointing to the caves and the mountain.

GP

### Latest WIP ###

TheMarcus7
03-05-2010, 04:57 AM
Looks awesome! That said, the scale on the shrine seems to be off by just a bit. seems a bit large. Mebbe its just me.

.TM7

Gamerprinter
03-05-2010, 06:27 AM
Actually the size of the structure is correct, but there is a goof here. That is a Buddhist Temple depicted, when its supposed to be a Shinto Stone Gate, like my Agoyal Shrine map for Kaidan. I've mixed religions here. The Torii Gate out front is correct, but Shinto Shrines rarely have buildings of any kind, other than a Torii and a Stone Gate, otherwise natural surroundings, so I will leave in the trees and the stone in back. I will be pull the temple out tomorrow.

Added a cemetery and the tannery. Getting there - thanks for the C&C everyone!

GP

### Latest WIP ###

Ghostman
03-05-2010, 06:30 AM
This map is starting to look good but needs more work still. There appears to be a vertical fault in there, above the map lable (up from the 'U' and 'M' in the title) that looks as though the map was pieced together from parts that didn't quite align properly. It's visible as a white line that crosses two houses, one of which has it's shape distorted by this seam.

Speaking of houses, are the three flat-roofed houses WIPs? There seems to be snow accumulated on one of these roofs, which wouldn't make sense if you were planning to add thatching.

EDIT: Put up a new version while I was posting :P The seam is less visible in this new version but still there.

Steel General
03-05-2010, 07:15 AM
Not to be overly picky - but I will be :D... the shadow for the fence above the round rice paddie? looks incorrect. All other shadows are more to the ENE and the fence shadow is pointing almost directly south.

But otherwise this is coming along quite nicely.

Gamerprinter
03-05-2010, 06:43 PM
@ Ghostman - I rescanned those two buildings as one piece and replaced the bad ones.

@ SG - fixed the shadow on that fence.

Finally added the bridge, replaced the Temple with a proper Shinto Stone Gate.

Fixed some of the layer issues. Now I have to fill out the two corners and the inset... almost done!

GP

### Latest WIP ###

Gamerprinter
03-06-2010, 02:09 AM
Corners are done - I plan to place a compass rose and scale bar in that open bottom righthand corner. All left to do after that is the inset regional map - then I"m done.

@ Ghostman - I found the seam problem (thought I fixed it before) I fixed it this time.

Getting real close, if not tomorrow then I'll finish this on Sunday.

GP

### Latest WIP ###

Gamerprinter
03-07-2010, 08:27 AM
Done with the bottom right corner - placed a compass rose and scale bar. I played around with different color combinations, but this the best I could come up with. Any better color ideas for a rose?

Next to do the inset regional then I'll be done.

GP

### Latest WIP ###

Steel General
03-07-2010, 09:10 AM
I think the colors are fine but I wonder if the 'stroke' around the compass rose isn't a little heavy.

tilt
03-07-2010, 11:29 AM
fantastic - really like the small details, the riverbank, snow on the roof and so forth. Agree with Steel General about the stroke on the compass - and the red/orange gate looks a little crooked (but perhaps thats on purpose?) - great map :)

Immolate
03-07-2010, 12:50 PM
I was pondering compasses earlier today and what a good compass would look like for this project. The one you created is very interesting and attractive, but it has a heavy Roman feel to it. It may be historically authentic--I don't know--but it doesn't feel Oriental.

jfrazierjr
03-07-2010, 01:37 PM
The seam issue still exists. It's not as bad as it was in the original, but the one on the lower of the two houses is still quite noticeable(the top one blends in enough that it's not that bad if the other was removed). See screenshot:22611

Ghostman
03-07-2010, 03:58 PM
I was pondering compasses earlier today and what a good compass would look like for this project. The one you created is very interesting and attractive, but it has a heavy Roman feel to it. It may be historically authentic--I don't know--but it doesn't feel Oriental.
Sadly it's not easy to find pictures of historical Japanese compasses. A Chinese compass (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Antic_chinese_Compass.jpg) would be a readily available model, but might not be accurate, nor make for a particularly pretty symbol :P

Gamerprinter
03-07-2010, 05:37 PM
I used a Japanese Kamen - family crest symbol, like the Genpei Map - Feb 09 Challenge... This kamen symbol is a fern like plant - as most Japanese kamen depict flowers and plants. Maybe its the gold color, and I should replace that something more Japanese, perhaps white on indigo? I know it looks like a Roman eagle crest, but thats a plant.

The stroke maybe heavy, but I tryed it at its original size and it seemed too small. Enlarging it enlarged the stroke.

At Ghostman, I'll try to tweak that roofline seam, but... we'll see.

So its authentic Japanese.

GP

PS: there may be mistakes in these posts - but I can't see the text as I am typing it - my monitor is too dark, maybe using a lighter color font for entering posts?

Gamerprinter
03-07-2010, 10:10 PM
Not that there's not a chance to yet tweak this map if I have to, but for all other intents and purposes, I think I'm done!

I once again played with the houses with the visible seam - I think I got it this time...

The torii gate, I slightly rotatied, then shortened the column on the east side - looks better.

I changed colors on the compass rose - still not happy, but it works.

And I completed my regional map - so I think I'm done. I thought about doing the regional in snow white, but settled for summer green - ain't too sure which way to go on that.

Errors, problems, point them out. I'll still tweak if I must...

GP

### Latest WIP ###

Immolate
03-07-2010, 10:19 PM
GP: your scale for the inset replicated and sent its progeny off to the southwest corner of your town square.

Gamerprinter
03-07-2010, 10:42 PM
D'oh! Thanks for pointing that out, Imm! I know what happened. I created the regional map as a separate file, combined the map objects, before I placed the labels. Saved then imported to the map file. When I moved the regional to its proper place, the labels weren't combined, so when I selected the regional and dragged to the corner, the labels stayed in place. When I was doing it I noticed the labels disappeared, but I didn't think to look at the center of the map - duh!

Got it - fixed it...

GP

### Latest WIP ###

Gamerprinter
03-08-2010, 06:12 AM
All this time I've been claiming to Ghostman that I fixed the seam problem, it turns out if I don't zoom in far enough, I won't see it.. I zoomed in - I saw it. The only best way to fix that problem is to scan the dang house again as a whole piece, no seam. That's what I did.

So I thought what else could I do. Those arrows turned out pretty big, by the Ryusendo Caves and Sakainokami Mountain labels. What happened there is those were lines not shapes, so when I reduced the map from design size at 24 x 36 down to letter size, the lines stayed at the same pixel size as in large form - thus too big. I converted the lines to shapes and they stayed at the size I wanted.

Thought to myself, how can I make that family crest compass rose more Japanese and less Roman looking. I made a solid circle of indigo behind it - I think that's much better. Well unless anyone finds a further blooper, I think I'm finally done.

GP

### Latest WIP ###

tilt
03-08-2010, 06:27 AM
its a beautiful map, but I've said that before... I think perhaps the compass has gotten a bit dark (but thats up to personal taste). One thing I would fix was to align the text in NW of the map to the arrow - right now they don't really "connect" like the text and arrow in the SW corner. :)

Gamerprinter
03-08-2010, 06:42 AM
Thanks, Tilt! Indigo (dark blue) is the laborer's color in Japan, because indigo was the cheapest dye so was used to create all work clothes, including farmer ware. I thought using the color was appropriate. Dark, but I tried about a dozen other color combinations and it didin't work for me.

There's only two ways to make the text and arrow connect better...

1. Rotate the text to line up with the arrow. However, Ryusendo is so long, it won't fit in that tight space.

2. Right justify the text so the right side lines up with the arrow, but that means breaking Ryusendo and Caves on separate lines, - maybe I'll do that tomorrow.

Thanks.

GP

tilt
03-08-2010, 07:47 AM
Hi GP
I thought as much that Indigo was a common color for japan - but then again - adding some water to colors makes them lighter, thus one could use a "percentage" of indigo and still stay in style :)
and I think 2 would be the right solution for the arrow-text-combo.

Gamerprinter
03-08-2010, 12:16 PM
At Tilt's suggestion, I decided to do a couple tweaks. I made the indigo on the compass rose a tad lighter. Also right justified the text label on Ryusendo Caves with an extra line break between Ryusendo and Caves to better align the arrow with the text block.

Good tips, Tilt!

GP

### Latest WIP ###

tilt
03-08-2010, 12:43 PM
great color :) ... the alignment looks a little better but there is still an angle between the text and arrow - I would find it more perfect if the text where at the same angle as the arrow *said with tiny little voice* *LOL*

Gamerprinter
03-08-2010, 01:24 PM
Any more of an angle and I think it would be too hard to read. Appreciate the suggestion, but I think I am there. More stuff to do this month then spend it all on this map. :P Thanks anyway - I am happy where its at (unless anything really glaring to tweak once again...)

GP

Djekspek
03-08-2010, 02:58 PM
nice job GP!

Gamerprinter
03-08-2010, 05:27 PM
The best thing about this challenge for me, is that I need to make a Hengeyokai village for my Kaidan adventure 2 - and this was perfect practice in getting the style I want. Anyway, I'll post a WIP once I get going, but it will use the same roofs - different placement, and same style, just for a summer time depiction, instead of winter as in this map. I need some rough water stream and waterfalls, so mine should be more fun.

As said, this challenge was the perfect try that I needed.

GP

Gamerprinter
03-08-2010, 09:09 PM
Apparently one of the last times I was reworking the compass rose, I inadvedantly bumped one of the elements above it. The tannery, which is the building just up from the compass rose on the other side of the river bank. If you notice the previous map the lineart doen't lineup with the color elements beneath it. So I straightened that out - good to go, now.

GP

### Latest WIP###

Redrobes
03-12-2010, 07:23 AM
Nice map GP but the caves... the arrow on the main map points up the north river but the inset shows a separate tributary along the west. Also - and theres no reason to follow it - the real map shows the caves being up that north tributary.

Gamerprinter
03-12-2010, 11:28 AM
Except the arrow, which points north west really, is on the west bank of that river, the direction does not necessarily follow the river, though it is in the same direction as the river is initially going as it appears in the map. Perhaps I should place a crossing on the regional map further up that road beside that river. But I also did not place any roads in that map. So while I agree the inference is to follow that river - I'm really just pointing at the direction of the caves, not the river.

Curious thought, though.

GP

ravells
03-12-2010, 07:57 PM
That's a stunner GP...great work!!

Gamerprinter
03-18-2010, 06:53 PM
On a gallery site where I posted the final map entry, someone asked me about those round rice fields I have featured in this map. So I dug out a "coffee table" book on Japan Country Living and scanned some photos to show what they really look like. While I was at it, I scanned an interior of one of those farmhouses (grant you, this has been modernized somewhat) to get an idea of what they looked like inside...

Enjoy!

GP

Gamerprinter
03-28-2010, 07:13 PM
The art brief seemed so busy, I completely missed the labeling requirement, instead tried to shoot for obvious buildings to comply with the required places of Iwaizumi. In the first brief, some of the possible buildings/locations in the village seemed like suggestions, not requirements, so in some cases I didn't put in obvious versions of those suggested sites - like the beekeeper (more on this below.)

Not being able to find the specific names of the two rivers surrounding Iwaizumi - a tour bus guide to the national parks near the village, named the Nakatsugawa River as the east-west river, as it is the same river flowing through the prefecture's capital east of Iwaizumi. However the Kitakami river is just one of the other main rivers in Iwate prefecture, so I am unsure if the smaller river shown is that one or not, I just picked it out of a list of available rivers in that district.

All the fields surrounding Iwaizumi are rice fields, there are no wheat fields, as wheat was not introduced to Japan, until the arrival of the Portuguese in the mid 1400's, about 150 years after the specific date for this map (1287). In fact the Japanese word for bread is "pan" which is the Spanish/Portugeuse name for bread, also introduced at that later time. So the map does not feature a commodity that does not yet exist in Japan.

Note: the rice mill on the Nakatsugawa River is for the production of Imoche - which is a gooey rice paste used for frying and as a kind of bread to contain various other food, for "pastries and maet pies." Wheat would not be grown or milled for 150 years yet.

Beekeeping has been practiced by the Japanese since at least the 8th century. At that time, it was creating hollowed out logs near actual beehives found in ravines and valleys in the mountainous of Japan, where the colony could split and grow. By the 12th century, most every farmer (in the right regions) kept a tub under the eave of their roof to keep a honey bee nest. The more familiar warre-box beekeeping, as done in modern beekeeping was not used in Japan until the mid 1500's during the start of the Edo period (which is 300 years after the period the village is set.)

As a cartographer going for historical accuracy, I'd say every farmhouse in this village has a tub under its eave containing a bee nest - which is hidden under the eave so not viewable from this perspective as a map, but does exist in this village.

So that which is missing has been done to maintain historic accuracy, and acknowledging that the original possible buildings to include, were suggestions only.

Other details, the location of the torii gate in front of the Shinto Shrine is accurate for all such shrines. As noted earlier in this thread, temples are the worship area of Buddhism which is not a polythiestic belief system as it is for Shintoism (8 million gods...), thus the art brief suggested a "shrine for the worshipping local gods" can only describe a Shinto Shrine. Thus pagodas and temples are not consistent with a Shinto Shrine. The stone gate is the only traditional edifice for a shinto shrine and not required for all such shrines, which is primarily a contained natural beauty site - spring, waterfall, giant rock, or other unique natural place.

To the best of my ability and research, this village complies to what might actually be recognized as and found in a Japanese village in the late 13th century.

I hope that my entry now complies to the rules of the Challenge.

GP

### Latest WIP ###

ravells
03-28-2010, 07:22 PM
Super reply, GP. And very educational.

But regardless of the facts, the publisher commissions the work! So I guess if he wants a tudor house in 14C Japan...then that's what we have to draw.