PDA

View Full Version : Fractal Terrains Pro .... beta (?)

guyanonymous
03-04-2010, 10:55 PM
I recently read, in the ProFantasy.com forums, a post about the rivers-gone-wild issue with FT Pro.

One respondent mentioned a beta version that fixes the problem and suggests contacting tech support to get a copy.

A message to tech support last week resulted in no reply, and my message today resulted in them forwarding two copies of their email reply from a totally unrelated question I sent them early last year. (grr.)

Are any of you familiar/able to comment on such a beta version? Does it exist? Does it fix the rivers problem? Does it fix any other of the crashing issues? Save issues? etc? And what is the best way to actually contact tech support since their email form is having probs and/or their are with replying to messages?

Merci buckets!

p.s., here's the link to the thread with a nice image showing the rivers problem http://forum.profantasy.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=1440&page=1#Item_0

waldronate
03-05-2010, 12:30 AM
I can comment on such a beta version. It does exist, I have a copy, and it seems to fix most of the critical bugs with FT including some crashes, painting problems, and the river routing problem.

I'm not sure I'd trust that jslayton fellow; he seems like a bit of a snippy blowhard.

ProFantasy tech support is usually pretty good about responding to e-mails. I'm surprised they haven't gotten back to you. I recommend sending them an e-mail with the forum reference and description of the problem.

Steel General
03-05-2010, 06:22 AM
I'm not sure I'd trust that jslayton fellow; he seems like a bit of a snippy blowhard.

*Chuckle, snicker, chuckle* :D

guyanonymous
03-05-2010, 09:46 AM
Thanks Waldronate....

Is there a better way to contact them than the form on the website (i.e., a direct tech support email address)?

Thanks!

su_liam
03-05-2010, 11:36 AM
Drop by their house and mention the problem while your hanging out drinking a Coors?

Mark Oliva
03-05-2010, 03:12 PM

Hmmm. Ya (or Ja, like we write it here). Could be. But then again, he is the guy who programmed the thing. Hmmm. P0nder. Ponder.

Mark Oliva
03-05-2010, 03:15 PM
Thanks Waldronate....

Is there a better way to contact them than the form on the website (i.e., a direct tech support email address)?

Thanks!

Sure. Bug Simon Rogers:

mailto://simon@profantasy.com

or Ralf Schemmann:

mailto:ralf@profantasy.com

Be sure to tell 'em I sent ya!

guyanonymous
03-05-2010, 03:36 PM
I just tried through the techsupport submission form on the website. If that doesn't work, I'l use the emails. Thanks muchly!

Fixing the river issue would really make my day - and take away the major frustration I have with the program since I use it almost exclusively for very large maps.

guyanonymous
03-11-2010, 01:24 PM
Mark,

I've emailed Ralf (in case he asks you about it). Simon's email was bounced (just so you know).

I really appreciate your providing some off-site support of this sort...thank you!

David

p.s., I sent the last email using the profantasy tech-support form on Friday...no response yet (Thursday).

guyanonymous
03-12-2010, 12:04 PM
Ralf helped me out! Thank you.

The good news:

Rivers look better. There are fewer long, straight rivers and fewer long, straight, parallel rivers. This is a win! Great job. I haven't seen evidence of the rivers gone wild issue as yet. :D

I can also save a .bmp up to 8000x4000 pixels. Going above this (9000x4500) causes a crash right at the end of the process. It seems to calculate everything fine, but when it goes to actually create/save the file, crashing occurs.

A bigger problem for me, though, is now the multiple-file saving doesn't work. What I should say is that it no longer actually saves the image files. It saves .fcw files everytime, and when HTML is turned on, creates and saves those files and the support (gif) files + fcw files. But no actual image files (jpg or bmp). Any ideas or suggestions? This wasn't a problem before.

I'd ultimately started running FT in admin mode, finding it more stable under Vista 64 (this could have just been my imagination though). With the beta installed, though, I found that I also had to activate compatibility mode (XP/SP2) to be able to save ftw files without crashes. At least after opening the program and then immediately 1) save as 2)choose .ftw as file type -> big crash (asking if I want to report problem). This wasn't something that happened before. Turning on compat. mode fixed this for me.

So now - if I could keep the river fixes (which are great) AND get saving as multiple files to work again, I'd be in FT heaven. :D

p.s., one new question: is there a way to simply export the river overlay still in a resolution independent vector format that can be read in other programs?

waldronate
03-12-2010, 12:33 PM
[...] now the multiple-file saving doesn't work. What I should say is that it no longer actually saves the image files. It saves .fcw files everytime, and when HTML is turned on, creates and saves those files and the support (gif) files + fcw files. But no actual image files (jpg or bmp). Any ideas or suggestions? This wasn't a problem before.

I'd ultimately started running FT in admin mode, finding it more stable under Vista 64 (this could have just been my imagination though). With the beta installed, though, I found that I also had to activate compatibility mode (XP/SP2) to be able to save ftw files without crashes. At least after opening the program and then immediately 1) save as 2)choose .ftw as file type -> big crash (asking if I want to report problem). This wasn't something that happened before. Turning on compat. mode fixed this for me.

p.s., one new question: is there a way to simply export the river overlay still in a resolution independent vector format that can be read in other programs?

I will probably get around to testing FT on Win7 one of these days. It's not high on my list at the moment, though, sorry.

I will take a look at the multi-export thing and see what broke. I haven't touched anything in there for years, but that doesn't mean that things didn't break.

There isn't a way of getting the river data out without going through CCx, sorry.

guyanonymous
03-12-2010, 01:01 PM
I will probably get around to testing FT on Win7 one of these days. It's not high on my list at the moment, though, sorry.

I will take a look at the multi-export thing and see what broke. I haven't touched anything in there for years, but that doesn't mean that things didn't break.

There isn't a way of getting the river data out without going through CCx, sorry.

I'm not worried about having to use compat. mode (in Vista, not Win7)...so please don't even worry about that. There are many programs that do better that way anyway.

If you're able to easily fix the mulit-export thing, that would rock. I did revert back to the pre-beta to check, and it did work fine then. So it is something different in the beta.

Thanks again for all your help....I'm re-enthused about FT Pro these days, and that's mostly due to your support!

D

guyanonymous
03-16-2010, 10:27 AM
Ralf emailed me a link to a new version of the beta software - an this fixes the Rivers and Multiple-File save issue now...fantastic. Thank you and your team for getting that last one fixed so quickly! It's all much appreciated!

You've saved me a couple steps now (I'd had to output 12x6 images for the rivers layer before, now just 6x3)!

Dave

Antony
04-18-2010, 02:08 PM
Did they ever fix the multi image cropping problem? That is not all of the screen displayed image (when that option was set) being exported to fcw files. To illustrate this suppose the map was a 4x4 box what is produced as a fcw file may have been only 3.5 x 3.5. The next layer down would lose a bit more and so on.