PDA

View Full Version : Feb/Mar Entry: Jason and the Golden Fleece

tilt
03-06-2010, 10:55 AM
So, this is my first map-challenge in here and I'm looking forward to comments on my map :)

I've choosen the Greek legend/myth of Jason and the Golden Fleece as it is well know to a lot of people - partly because of Hollywood. :) The map depicts Kaukasus, which is the country in which the actually Golden Fleece was found. Aided by Medea (who had fallen in love with Jason due to the godess Heras involvement) Jason tills the fields with the firebreathing copper bulls of Ares (brutal bulls who are strong and can kill by breath or stomp, gore... you choose)... he sows dragons teeths which "sprouts" warriors. With cunning (by Medea) he makes the warriors fight one another instead of him. Having done this he goes with Medea to the tree to where the Golden Fleece is nailed, around it a dragon lies curled, but Medea soothes it with her magic thus making Jason able to get the Fleece. They hurry to Jasons ship and set sail...

The map is made in Photoshop, everything is handdrawn. I never made custom brushes before - so that was a challenge, so was the drawings - I'm getting a tablet soon I think :)

So, please tell me what you think :)

regs
Jesper

### LATEST WIP ###

Ghostman
03-06-2010, 03:49 PM
Map colors are well enough. The trees and mountains are good but otherwise the symbols look a bit plain and cartoony. The Dragon looks too much like a medieval myth maiden-muncher; ancient Greek Dragons have no feet - they pretty much resemble large snakes. It could also have a beard (you can see it on depictions in ancient vase paintings (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Douris_cup_Jason_Vatican_crop.jpg)) and the Golden Fleece itself should of corse be seen hanging from the tree.

Not bad for a first time entry though :)

waldronate
03-06-2010, 03:52 PM
I had been toying with the idea of doing "Jason and the Oregonauts", the tale of a young midwestern boy who travels to the fabled lands of Oregon to score some righteous weed. Good thing I didn't, eh?

Overall it looks good. The little artworks are quite nice. The coastline seems a bit smooth compared to the river, though. THe forsts seems a bit odd, but that's an issue with how Photoshop does its brushes as much as anything.

tilt
03-06-2010, 03:58 PM
thanks - just painted the dragon of the top of my head - not really an illustrator so I was actually pretty happy with getting something that actually looked like a dragon on "paper", should have know i "just" had to draw a snake *lol*. When you say "the other symbos" you're referring to the city and the icons? The bull is actually drawn based upon a vase from greece :)

tilt
03-06-2010, 04:01 PM
yeah.. had some problems getting photoshop to NOT show the brush-strokes behind the new brushstrokes - so the artwork multiplies some places... I'll roughen the coastline up a bit, it is of course the correct coastline (basic shape).
And Jason and the Oregonauts.. sounds like a movie waiting to happen ;)

Ghostman
03-06-2010, 04:29 PM
When you say "the other symbos" you're referring to the city and the icons? The bull is actually drawn based upon a vase from greece :)

The cities could certainly use more detail, and attention to scale - while icons have to be of odd proportions by necessity, these cities look more like houses, or very small castles. Having a wide and low wall, with more than two (small) towers per side and a much smaller gate would go a long ways toward giving the appearance of a fortified town. The bull is actually pretty good. The hills are smooth and rounded like snowballs - a more rugged appearance would go better along with the mountains. The field is kind of plain too but works well enough.

tilt
03-06-2010, 04:40 PM
thanks for the good advice - hadn't really any ideas how to represent the city, so improvise and adapt *lol*... agree about the hills, I'll change those. For now, this is my latest version, rugging up will come tomorrow :)
- I'm of to bed now so I can catch some hours of sleep before my 2 year old wakes up ... cause in the weekends - thats early *sigh*

### LATEST WIP ###

tilt
03-07-2010, 05:30 AM
So morning came - and I had some time to work on my map while the kids are watching Dora the Explorer :) ... so, I've added some details to the compas - changed the city icons, changed then hills and made a greek dragon with a bigger fleece. Oh, and made some greek inspired waves too... :) Please enjoy...

### LATEST WIP ###

Ghostman
03-07-2010, 05:53 AM
Looking much better already. Good job with the waves, they really help setting the feel for the map. Lazi still has the older style icon though, and the fleece is disturbingly human-like.

tilt
03-07-2010, 06:06 AM
Lazi still has the older style icon though
Have no idea what that means - sorry ;) ... please explain :)

and, I'll change the fleece - cause you're absolutely right - maybe its Lord Golden from the Tawny Man Trilogy (just finished book 2).

tilt
03-07-2010, 06:13 AM
So, here is the new fleece :)

By the way ... will the latest entry here automaticly enter in the competition or do I have do "do something" to show what I'm entering with?

### LATEST WIP ###

Steel General
03-07-2010, 08:14 AM
As long as it has the ###Latest WIP### "tag", you should be good to go.

Redrobes
03-07-2010, 08:23 AM
To enter the compo you just post an entry thread. And BTW, I just added you to the thumbs page so update that with a browser refresh and you will in there. It shoudl now pick up your latest WIP posts. Steels extra mention of the tag might confuse it if someone else posts a pic now so if that becomes and issue then ill have to go in and edit it.

tilt
03-07-2010, 09:46 AM
thanks both of you :)

Here is a new upload - then there should be no problems with the codes :)

###Latest WIP###

tilt
03-10-2010, 05:16 AM
so.. made a new forrest and small corrections :)

###Latest WIP###

tilt
03-13-2010, 02:05 AM
Well - seing that the competion finishes the 15th, and not the 10th after all - I couldn't help myself of editing the map a bit more - so - now a dirtier version :)

###Latest WIP###

moutarde
03-13-2010, 12:07 PM
That looks nice :) Some of the torn edges feel too straight and/or smooth though... The dirt smudges look fantastic :)

tilt
03-13-2010, 01:17 PM
thanks, pretty satisfied with the dirtying too :) ... the edges where made a bit quick, had an impatient daugther pulling at me *lol*

tilt
03-14-2010, 02:02 PM
so - absolutely final version - I hope you like it :)

###Latest WIP###