PDA

View Full Version : Waterdeep - the city of splendors

Caliginis
03-07-2010, 08:12 PM
Hi folks,

I've been lurking here for quite a while now and thougt that I should post my first attempt at making a map. I always liked the big postermaps from TSR and thought that it is time to make my own. Therefor I started to map the city of Waterdeep from the Forgotten Realms.

Right now i'm in the middle of placing all the houses, so there's not so much to see at the moment. But it'll grow soon.

I hope you like it.

Viriatha
03-07-2010, 08:13 PM
What software are you using? That is ALOT of houses lol

Caliginis
03-07-2010, 08:18 PM
I'm working with Photoshop CS4, fortunatly it has a file format specifically for large images.
And unfortunatly there are still even more houses to come. I have about a third of all houses placed, so there is still a lot to do.

torstan
03-07-2010, 08:37 PM
How are you doing your houses? This looks really good.

Caliginis
03-07-2010, 10:16 PM
They are done with an inner bevel and a double texture overlay; one for the details on the roofs and another one to get their color less uniform.

If you're interested I can post my layer style with the texture settings.

farvardin
03-08-2010, 04:16 AM
It's awesome, I love it!

torstan
03-08-2010, 09:40 AM
Actually I was wondering how you were laying down the bases. Is it a brush? However, the layer styles would certainly be a useful reference.

Caliginis
03-08-2010, 11:03 AM
I wish there was a brush for what I'm doing. I use an old map of the city as a reference for the layout of the houses and streets and then every house is placed individually by hand.
A lot of work but the result is worth it, I think.

tilt
03-08-2010, 11:08 AM
it looks really good. Would love a wooden texture on the roofs though, but that's just me ;) ... nice job, and patient with all those houses :)

torstan
03-08-2010, 11:16 AM
!

Okay, that really is a labour of love. Well done.

Djekspek
03-08-2010, 03:15 PM
wow, that is a lot of work, but indeed the result is looking very promising! (hehe secretly i was hoping you found the anwser to the 1-million-dollar-question: "how to make a good looking citymap without drawing all the houses individually"? ;) cheers

tilt
03-08-2010, 03:20 PM
yep, if you want the real city look - you gotta work for it... working on converting my own medium sized city at the moment from pen-n-paper to Illustrator.. .*sigh* so you gotta respect Caliginis hard work :)

Caliginis
03-09-2010, 08:48 AM
it looks really good. Would love a wooden texture on the roofs though, but that's just me ;) ... nice job, and patient with all those houses :)

Actually I wanted one too when I made my roofstyle. But I actually had not a single wooden texture, and it didn't seem important enough to make one at this early stage. Once all the houses are placed and I have some streets I promise that I'll try wooden roofs.

For now I have to keep you patient with some more stone houses. Fortunatly I'm reaching the areas with some of the more interesting buildings:

Marken4
03-09-2010, 02:24 PM
Great work!

Kaiser MacCleg
03-13-2010, 02:06 PM
Wow, that must be horribly painstaking. Still, from where I'm sitting, it definitely looks worth it! Can't wait for the finished product.

Caliginis
03-13-2010, 11:29 PM
Hi there,

good to see that you all like it so far. Seems like I'm on the right path.

And now, finally, I'm done with the houses. Except a few special ones they're all placed :D
The mansions with a wall around were a pain in the A to make because the walls had to be cut exactly 5px under the house in order to get the shadows right.

I've also included a first draft of Piergeiron's Palace (picture three). I think it looks quite good so far but I had no luck in finding a good white colour for it until now as it is built of white marble. I think I'll have to try a different texture to get it right.

The next thing to do will be the landscape and the streets so it should look like map soon.

Till then

PS: thanks for the rep!

cfds
03-14-2010, 05:54 AM
Concerning the marble: Would the marble even be visible? Wouldn't you just see the roof anyways?
Concerning the map: SO many houses, you are insane but in a good kind of way...
Concerning the signature: Sounds like a bit of Terry Pratchett's wisdom..

Caliginis
03-15-2010, 05:55 AM
Who needs sleep?

Been working all night playing around with the city's wall and finally found something decent. I also got the basic shape of land/water done and have made a nice cobblestone texture which I wanna use for some of the streets.

Well gotta go now, have to work.

PS: Hooray, certified insane! http://fpetersen.net/images/banana.gif http://fpetersen.net/images/banana.gif http://fpetersen.net/images/banana.gif

mearrin69
03-16-2010, 02:17 AM
Oh yes, you are *quite* mad. :) This is going to look awesome. So many buildings...

Have some rep.
M

Sapiento
03-16-2010, 04:33 AM
Fantastisch!

Meridius
03-17-2010, 07:51 AM
Judging by how quick you got a city that big, you must have a quick way to draw the houses individually. If I where to draw individual houses I wouldn't progress quite that quickly. :S

Awesome city by the way! Have some rep for this 'good kind of insanity' :P

Elothan
03-17-2010, 04:32 PM
You are making WATERDEEP ?! You are mad, very very mad....:p The largest City in the Realms (at least it was), and hand placing all houses.. Damn... Wow...Something.. I am just a bit flabbergasted... Love it..
I assume you dont plan to include undermountain as well ? :p

Caliginis
03-26-2010, 12:53 AM
Hi everyone,

unfortunately I had lots to do for my uni work and almost no time to work on the map last week.
Yesterday I had a bit of free time and began to texturize it and start to place the streets. I'm quite happy with the textures so far, only the grass seems a bit of. Not sure though whether to keep the outline on the water or to change it against something more 'natural'.
Unlike placing the houses (all done with via mouse) I can now work with my tablet which is way better for my wrist (damaged by RSI). So I hope to get some substantial progress soon.

Judging by how quick you got a city that big, you must have a quick way to draw the houses individually. If I where to draw individual houses I wouldn't progress quite that quickly. :S

Awesome city by the way! Have some rep for this 'good kind of insanity' :P

Thanks for the rep!
Sadly I don't really have a quick way to place all the houses, I just happened to have a hole week of nothing else to do. When I placed them I worked for 5-10 hours a day making rectangular selections and filling them. Quite boring but definetly worth it.

You are making WATERDEEP ?! You are mad, very very mad....:p The largest City in the Realms (at least it was), and hand placing all houses.. Damn... Wow...Something.. I am just a bit flabbergasted... Love it..
I assume you dont plan to include undermountain as well ? :p

Making a map of Undermountain ... sounds like something only a madman would try to do ;)

Carnifex
03-27-2010, 08:30 PM
Caliginis> Great looking walls there. How do you make them?

Carnifex
04-06-2010, 07:49 PM
I really like the looks of the walls! Are they done with "Stroke the path"?? Anyone knows?

Ascension
04-06-2010, 07:59 PM
To get the battlements on the top to follow the wall, yes. Make sure you set the angle jitter to direction when stroking a path.

Katto
04-07-2010, 05:04 AM
I am very impressed about the level of detail. What is the overall size of your city (pixel)?

Master of Dragons
10-17-2010, 06:32 PM
Any progress yet?
Come on, hurry up! ;)

sigurdbjohansson
12-14-2010, 03:38 PM
Hello??

This is just effin madness! You need!!! to show us whats happened!

JDCt
12-20-2010, 06:53 PM
This looks fantastic... Also working on a large city... not to this scale, and tis killing me to draw by hand :P I can't wait to see more!

Aegeri
12-20-2010, 08:08 PM
Oh wow that is some great work you are doing.

Kraal55
10-19-2011, 07:06 AM
Excellent work :) Would love to see the latest on this...any chance of an update?

Brandon Michael
10-22-2011, 01:15 AM
wow thats pretty cool dude

Akerbeltz
11-06-2011, 06:59 PM
Whoa, impressive work.