PDA

View Full Version : Port squelette

Iparcos
03-08-2010, 09:17 AM
Bonjour,

A new city : port-squelette a pirate city.

tilt
03-08-2010, 09:31 AM
NICE .. really like all the small (and big) details - the dragon skeleton that obviously named the town, the statues along the port. I guess there really is only one thing bothering me... is "a pirate city" as it seems very settled for a city of outlaws. Then again - could happen, I've read the live ship trilogy by Robin Hobb - the Pirates a definitly a force to be reconned with there :)

Viriatha
03-08-2010, 11:31 AM
And it has walls? O.o I agree, it seems very developed and settled for an outlaw group.

Redrobes
03-08-2010, 02:59 PM
It may not need walls if its on an island with a lot of ships to protect it. But it is very organized.

Interesting dragon skeleton and I like the big statues though how they would move them to the island is a mystery. And I also like the catamaran. We haven't seen many of them.

I wonder what the story is ?

(Tu as un histoire pour la carte ?)

Ilwan
03-08-2010, 04:04 PM
Great map. I could think of pirates that hold a civilized city like this one. Imagine the pirates plundering a civilized city - like Henry Morgan plundered Panama or Maracaibo like he did. When the citizens didnīt show up with enough gold (they hid it outside town) the pirates begin to collect ransom for captured citizens. This could go for months where pirates would stay in the city causing havoc. In the caribbean this kind of occupation would be limited to a few months, as the spanish army would have time to prepare for a counter attack and eventually recapture the city. But in a fantasy world the city could lack allies and the pirates simply would establish their own reign in the conquered city for decades to come.

Steel General
03-08-2010, 04:49 PM
Holy big dragon statues Batman!

Oh, and nice job by the way.

rdanhenry
03-10-2010, 02:36 AM
Pirates need bases. If the pirates are strong enough and can manage to ally instead of preying on each other, they could hold or even build a city of their own. A strong navy would still root them out... if a strong navy can be raised by their victims and they can find the pirate city. Maybe some of those unusual parts of the city are a base for an outlawed group of magicians who obscure the city's location with their powerful magic in exchange for shelter and supplies from the pirates.

Al. I. Cuza
03-10-2010, 07:51 AM
There were no actual pirate cities. A pirate city or nation would be in constant war against everybody (that being the nature of piratery), so it probably wouldn't exist for too long. But there can be cities were pirates are allowed to take refuge, like Tortuga was.

tilt
03-10-2010, 08:29 AM
Well, in fantasy it doesn't really matter what was in our history - if there is a reason for the pirates to have develloped as a power in the world, then they could have a city. But seing to the lawless nature of those men it would be a tough one to run :)

Aval Penworth
03-11-2010, 10:32 AM
I like your style!

This city is very trippy. You dont have to justify a work of art like this. This is a city of mystery and wonder, well done!

cfds
03-14-2010, 08:41 AM
I guess you have to see "pirates" in the same light as "freedom fighters"/"terrorists": It is a matter of perspective. And when there is an island nation that makes itself a living from robbing other nations' ships that would make them "pirates", but they can build quite a civilisation or at least a nice citystate nontheless. Look at Monaco..

NeonKnight
03-14-2010, 09:03 AM
I like it. And, having just watching the program: THE REAL PIRATES OF CARIBBEAN I know there was pirate cities, (Tortuga was not a city, but rather an Island where the 'Buccaneers' dwelt, before they were openly welcome by the British into the city of Port Royal Jamaica.

The pirates in this case were privateer granted letters of marque against the Spanish, with whole England was currently at war, and the pirates were a ready made navy they could utilize.

Al. I. Cuza
03-14-2010, 09:08 AM
That is what I said too. There can't really be an independent pirate nation (or city-state or whatever). Such a construct will always need the protection of a strong nation and will fight under it's banner.

tilt
03-14-2010, 01:42 PM
yes, privateers, although acting like pirates, are government sanctioned and as that have a base there. And by the way, as I said in my original post I don't object to pirates having a place to dwell - this just seemed very settled/organized for pirates. Concerning freedom fighters/terrorists they often live in communities easily relocated. And non the less, it takes a long time to build a city this size, and if your base economy is robbing others then one would think that once in a while a local force would gather and beat them down/run them off.
Then again - in fantasy all can happen - maybe they are actually the strongest force around due to a war between other countries, maybe they have a strong magical force on their side, maybe the won the city in a game of cards *lol*. Anything is possible, and fleshing out the story behind can be just as fulfilling as drawing the map :)

Al. I. Cuza
03-15-2010, 09:44 AM
True, in a fantasy world you can find lots of explanations for everything.