PDA

View Full Version : Kitsumura, village in Kaidan

Gamerprinter
03-09-2010, 03:41 AM
Well if this noticeably looks like my entry for this month's challenge, well yeah, I'm using the same 3D roofs as references and doing a hand-drawn map in the same style. But I need a differnt layout, I don't need walls for my "big house", and the terrain will be completely different though I will feature a stream and a couple waterfalls, as well as being surrounded by rocky hills, with a chasm entrance.

I learned much from this month's challenge and applying that new found knowledge in this map.

Kitsumura (means: Fox Village) will be home to a community of hengeyokai - kitsune, tanushi, and a few others (fox, badger and racoon dog shape changers.) It is a key rest area, between threats for the PC party in the second part of the second adventure of The Gift: Part 2 - Dim Spirit, scheduled for publication in May 2010.

For the new guys who don't know, this my setting and mini-intro campaign I am developing and publishing for Pathfinder RPG - its what gives me "publisher" status. I have already published the first adventure of this in The Gift Part 1, in October 2009. Kaidan is a feudal Japan based setting steeped in Asian Horror. (Kaidan means Horror or Ghost Story.)

Give me a couple days to decorate this thing... enjoy!

GP

tilt
03-09-2010, 03:54 AM
That looks damn nice... I would throw in some Indigo though *lol*

Dain
03-09-2010, 05:23 AM
Looks nice! Can't wait to see the finished work, I'm sure it will give me some tips to help me out with my own artwork, which is very similar.
http://fred73fr.deviantart.com/art/Village-isometric-view-125659760

Gamerprinter
03-09-2010, 05:42 PM
Some color added just to get a feel on how the final product should look. I hand drew a stream with waterfall - its only half drawn, still the left side to create. I intend to place an arched bridge over the stream from the village. Although there will be some rice fields, the village will be surrounded by rising rocky ground.

Moving right along - enjoy!

GP

mearrin69
03-09-2010, 08:38 PM
Looks great. The waterfall is awesome. I usually wait for the end but have some rep for this one as it's already nice.
M

Okay, guess I've got to wait a while before repping anyway. :)

tilt
03-10-2010, 03:39 AM
looking good ... 2 issues, but they might be something you just havent done yet.
1. the begginng of the river is a bit strange - looks like it just begins, not that it has flown from somewhere (because of the ground behind it)
2. The height of the village seems of, as the house look like they are all on the same level, but the waterfall tells us otherwise.. .
but super map - and great colors :)

Gamerprinter
03-10-2010, 05:05 AM
Yeah, I'm working on that... I don't think I have the waterfall and the village on the same angle - so I built the creek bed in 3D and using it as reference to get the angle right, I'll post something up later today, to show the difference. I noticed it right after I created this and struggled to decide if I should do the waterfall over again - so I am.

GP

tilt
03-10-2010, 05:11 AM
beautiful waterfall though :)

Steel General
03-10-2010, 06:45 AM
Nice stuff here GP...the water seems a bit 'pastel-y' to me, but maybe it fits with the overall color scheme better. *shrugs*

Gamerprinter
03-10-2010, 02:44 PM
I've replaced the waterfall and stream, as well as created a background of highlands. I need to add in the arched bridge and the many required trees.

I liked the other waterfall, almost better, but its angle was completely wrong.

GP

Ghostman
03-10-2010, 03:46 PM
The riverbanks and rocks look very good, but the hills on the background seem much less natural. Perhaps adding vegetation on the slopes will improve them?

The part of the river on the upper right corner, where it bends toward the right-hand map edge may be too wide. It looks as though more of it's width should be concealed behind the riverbank - compare it to the portion that runs right-left near the bottom of the map.

Gamerprinter
03-10-2010, 03:55 PM
Oh I definitely plan on covering the back hills with trees, however since the background will show through in places, I wanted the ground to be there already. Same with the creek and falls, vegetations will be covering much of that - I want to place some Sakura cherry blossom trees, mulberry trees, cedars, twisted pines and ground vegetation too - including reeds along both banks of the creek after the falls as it moves across the bottom of the map. The bridge is already designed, just need to trace it and detail out to place on that road in the lower left corner.

I also plan to place various farm implements, clothes washing area and other village detritus throughout - this is still early on in the design, I just wanted every square inch covered ahead of time.

Edit: @ Ghostman, I just figured out what you meant about the varying widths comparing the top right to the bottom left. I will place some tree tops peaking out to emphasize this, but the bank of the stream at the bottom of the map rises just as high as the opposite bank, so much of the stream is hidden behind the bank - the stream is wider, you just can't see it.

GP

Gamerprinter
03-11-2010, 02:20 AM
After making that single cedar try in the southeast corner of the village, I thought to myself, "Man, this is going to be a ton of work. How can I save myself some time...".

So I started searching for forest scenes in some coffee table books on Japan, I have at hand. Found a heavily pine forested mountainside and thought, near total coverage - that's what I need. So I hand drew a detailed mountainside of pine. I covered the background hills, foreground bottom, right and left side and the section between the stream and the village.

As the lone cedar in there, I plan to do several deciduous (leafy) trees at the base of the hill and around the village itself, just for some variety, but not nearly the work I had expected doing.

Bridge, farm implements and final trees, that's all I have left - almost done!

Edit: I see I need to scoot the forest in the top left corner up a bit.

GP

tilt
03-11-2010, 04:48 AM
looking good GP but the pine trees have a bit heavy line in comparison to the other elements of the map. May I ask how you work, is it all handdrawn?

Gamerprinter
03-11-2010, 10:29 AM
Its all hand-drawn with pen. Generally I work at 18 x 24 or 24 x 36, however elements of a map like trees are generally 8.5 x 11, but that's usually one tree at a time. Because I had so many trees to draw I did these on a letter size sheet, instead of full size. I may redo them, but that's lots of trees and pain in ass... we'll see in the next day or two.

I agree, but I may keep them. I have to write an adventure yet, this month.

GP

tilt
03-11-2010, 10:40 AM
cool... sounds like the job I want *lol*

Gamerprinter
03-11-2010, 01:28 PM
Decided to try a work around. I opened the hand-drawn lineart for the trees in PS, selected the black with a mask, shrunk the mask by 5 pixels, inverted then cleared the image, so now the black lines are thinner - still too to thick, but better than before. I really don't want to redraw all those trees at scale. So hopefully this will work.

Is it cheating? Yeah, so I'll do right next time, but its a work around.

Also added some more color detailing around the banks of the river.

GP

tilt
03-11-2010, 02:25 PM
much much better, and no its not cheating, its working with the tools you have ;) ... do you colorize in PS or is that also done by hand?

Gamerprinter
03-11-2010, 03:10 PM
While I scan into PS, and I tweak color/contrast, etc in PS. Most all of my map work occurs in Xara Xtreme Pro 4.0 - its a vector program like Illustrator, CorelDraw, Serif DrawPlus. It does everything I need for less money than PS/Illustrator - very powerful and easy to use. I run a daytime graphic design/digital print studio and use that app for everything.

All coloring, bevels, shadows, feathering, special effects, even use of Photoshop Plug-ins are all done within Xara Xtreme.

I only draw linework by hand - everything else is digital.

GP

Gamerprinter
03-11-2010, 05:08 PM
I'm calling this map done! Added some rice straw stacks, fences with dyed shirt drying, some odds and ends, and a few trees, oh yeah and the arched bridge.

Now I'll post this in the Finished Maps Forum...

Enjoy!

GP

tilt
03-12-2010, 02:14 AM
nice with the little details - beautiful map ;)

Gamerprinter
03-12-2010, 05:30 AM
While a Kitsune (Fox woman) is the spiritual leader of Kitsumura, her husband a Mujina (badger) is the village leader, and the person who finds and comes to the aid of the adventure party leading them to his village for refuge.

While I have artist created hengeyokai illustrations for Kaidan, I wanted a specific illustration for the village leader, but I didn't want to pay for it, so I did it myself. I found a badger head and shoulders photo online, and an Ainu chief in ceremonial garb, I combined the two in Xara, printed it out and used as a reference to create this illustration. I used the Color Picker on the photo to best match the colors, especially in the outfit.

I thought I'd post it here, instead of the General Forum, since its not a map, but belongs with this map.

I think it works!

Enjoy

GP

tilt
03-12-2010, 05:37 AM
looks really good - maybe a bit too much fur going out on the weapons belt :)

Gamerprinter
03-12-2010, 05:43 AM
That's a fur belt, that's not "his fur".

GP

Steel General
03-12-2010, 06:34 AM
It's quite good GP, far better than I could do, would he have a fur belt though? Wouldn't that be a bit like a man wearing a necklace of human ears or something?
Saying that, I know little of Japanese folklore, so it may be entirely appropriate.

Gamerprinter
03-12-2010, 10:22 AM
Only things to consider is that a Mujina is a predatory carnivore and he is a shape-changer, he is as much human as he is animal. And certain animals are not hengeyokai, including bear - which is the type of fur he is wearing. Though I agree, its a bit odd, he is a barbarian afterall.

GP

Gamerprinter
03-12-2010, 06:04 PM
Since my Mujina turned out so well, I decided to continue the technique and apply it to another hengeyokai character in the storyline - this is the wife of the Mujina chieftan and spiritual leader of Kitsumura, a Kitsune Miko (Fox woman Shrine Maiden.)

Enjoy!

GP