PDA

View Full Version : October Entry: Monastery of the Five Disciples

terrainmonkey
10-04-2007, 04:56 PM
so i've decided to enter this month's challenge, but i need help from all of you, or opinions, either way. i'm not posting a map on this first post because i am asking for advice on which way to go with this. win or lose, i want this to be one of the best maps i've ever entered, and that's where you come in.

should it be:

A. Hand drawn, scanned, colored in Corel
B. Hand drawn, colored with colored pencils, scanned in, and modified in corel
C. Entirely done in corel draw and paint with texture effects, etc.

opinions about this are welcome, and once i have enough votes to decied either way i'll post a map and show you which direction i'm going with this.

thanks!

pyrandon
10-04-2007, 04:57 PM
I say "A"--but only because that describes maps of yours I like the most! :)

ravells
10-04-2007, 06:12 PM
I'd also choose A too.

RPMiller
10-04-2007, 06:48 PM
Looks like that will be a triple A. ;)

Ishmayl
10-04-2007, 07:36 PM
Make that 4, chief :)

RobA
10-04-2007, 10:09 PM
Five of a kind with my vote...

-Rob "A">

NeonKnight
10-05-2007, 01:43 AM
I chose the ALL IN CREOL cause I want to challenge you ;)

*S*

Ishmayl
10-05-2007, 09:57 AM
I chose the ALL IN CREOL

Don't you think asking him to do it all in a completely new language (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creole_language) is a bit much to ask? ;)

NeonKnight
10-05-2007, 10:09 AM
Nope :P ;)

terrainmonkey
10-05-2007, 10:34 AM
okay, well... i guess it's unanimous. cool. already started working on a few ideas, and the sketch of the bottom level which will be posted in the next few days. although, judging from the other entries so far i may have an uphill battle ahead of me. this is one of the reasons i like these challenges, because it forces me to take my map making to the next level just to see what i can accomplish.

so here's a bit of background first, because i like to have an idea of WHY this particular place is here instead of just drawing a map with no exterior logic if you understand what i'm getting at.

This is going to be a monastery of The Lawbringer, a diety in my campaign, much like st. cuthbert, only more inquisitorial. The priests of the lawbringer espouse the following five disciplines in every day life: Peace, Honor, Devotion, Purity, and Brotherhood.

The following image is from a scroll that gives the basics of each discipline and how one should live the life of a follower of The Lawbringer.

terrainmonkey
10-07-2007, 10:36 AM
so here are a few sketches i've done. i've decide to make this kind of a work in progress, show you how i design maps kind of thing. when i saw this, i decided i was going to push myself to greater artistic heights. one has a tendency to keep doing old reliable and not progressing beyond a certain point because it is comfortable to do so. "Why go the extra mile when what i'm doing works for me?" kind of thing.

that being the case, i looked all over the net for pictures, found some great ones, and thanks to Neon and a few others, as well as the great Cathedral book by David Macaulay (BTW, if you haven't picked this book up i suggest you do. great resource in cathedral, castle, mosque building. beautiful work.) was able to capture the idea that i wanted to explore.

anyway, here's the initial sketches. hodgepodge i know, but there is an organization that's going through my head with this. i'll post more later.

NeonKnight
10-07-2007, 06:41 PM
Looks good. The only thing I didn't post about my works were the Pen-n-Paper Sketches I staterd with.

Good to see our though processes are similar.

terrainmonkey
10-10-2007, 12:16 PM
okay, here's a WIP for what i've got so far. need to put the pews in, altar, etc. i'm also working on the balcony for this, and that will be posted tomorrow. i'm lucky in that i have the next 3 days off, and i can really hammer this one out.

suggestions are welcome. note that i still have a few ideas concerning the floors, so i'm not entirely done with that just yet.

ravells
10-10-2007, 12:31 PM
Thanks for posting the sketches. I love to see how people work up their maps.

Gamerprinter
10-10-2007, 12:47 PM
Strange I notice that the columns with the slight drop shadow, though a simple solution really does look like it stands upright, even without a bevel. I think its the sharpness of the columns with the softness of the shadow behind that really makes this work.

I like your balcony at the back of the cathedral. 8)

And I just realized that you have your cathedral setup to face the other way - nothing wrong with that, I just suddenly noticed that!

RobA
10-10-2007, 03:55 PM
It is nice to see you added some detail on the unseen side of the picture provided!

-Rob A>

terrainmonkey
10-10-2007, 04:12 PM
okay, here's all i could get done today. i'll post a few more things ove the next few days. the first is 75% complete, and the second balcony level is about 50% or less, i'd say. still ahve some lighting effects, text, etc. i want to put in.

thanks for the kind words, any suggestions would be great.

ravells
10-10-2007, 05:03 PM
The grassy bit in the second picture doesn't really do it for me....but the rest is excellent.

terrainmonkey
10-19-2007, 08:56 AM
so i've been far too busy to work on this one any more. with work, rehearsals, and girlfriends, i have been unable to advance to the next stage i want on this one. i may do a little bit more, but judging by the other entries, i don't even think i'd have a shot to begin with. sorry to be sounding so defeated here, but i'm running on a level of exhaustion i have not felt in several years. i may update this in the next week or so, but don't really count on it too much. i'll be posting other maps on the other thread i've started pretty soon. thanks for all the great feedback guys. i appreciate it. :) good luck to all the other entries!:)

ravells
10-19-2007, 10:17 AM
That's a pity terrain monkey, it was looking like a really great start! Don't forget that although it's nice to win a challenge, the challenge isn't really against other people who are entering but against yourself. It's a great way to see what you can produce against a deadline, but with all the r/l stuff you have going on right now, it definitely takes second place after work and rehearsals (not sure about girlfriends though!).

Ravs

pyrandon
10-19-2007, 03:12 PM
Aw, poo, TM! That was coming along so well, too! Maybe finish it next month when time lets up?