PDA

View Full Version : The Double Empire

Sapiento
03-14-2010, 03:32 AM
Thought I try something different.

So far it's playing around with level and emboss.

Coyotemax
03-14-2010, 05:45 AM
I love the land shape and the colours so far :) there's not much of a transition between flatter ground and mountains, but it's still too early to say a lot :) Great start! If I recall most of your works, this is a completely new syle for you, no?

Sapiento
03-14-2010, 10:16 AM
Indeed. I have not really any idea where this will end.

Sapiento
03-14-2010, 11:29 AM
I replaced the former mountains, they didn't really work. I increased the colour variation of land and sea, too.

Coyotemax
03-14-2010, 11:57 AM
Those are starting to blend nicely - And that is a series of crevasses in the top right? On the first map it was hard to tell, this one really pulls out that look.

tilt
03-14-2010, 12:49 PM
second map is better - looking forward to see where you go from there :)

Sapiento
05-03-2010, 02:13 PM
An update after some time. I added labels for cities and sea and land routes.

landorl
05-03-2010, 02:20 PM
Mountains are looking a lot better now! The general shape of the land looks good, and I like the colors. I would like to see some "rougher" land leading up to the mountains, but that is my personal taste.

Sapiento
05-04-2010, 04:16 AM
Good idea with the rouger land. Have to change the map next time.

Antheon
05-04-2010, 04:51 AM
Guten Tag, Sapiento!

Ich muss gestehen, dass ich ein wenig zwiegespalten bin, denn obgleich mir Deine Karte sehr gefällt, wirken die Gebirge auf mich ein wenig schmal. Ich gebe zu, dass von den Anden oder den Alpen bei einem 'kontinentalen' Maßstab nicht mehr viel von ihrer Größe zeugt, aber durch den extrem weichen Übergang Deiner Gebirge wirken sie an manchen Stellen wie Striche. Ich bin da wie Steel General für einen härteren Übergang, aber ansonsten finde ich die Karte großartig - vor allem die Ozeanebene und die Form der Landmassen! Weiter so!

Oh, und nebenbei: Toll, hier noch einen Landsmann gefunden zu haben. : )

EDIT:
For those who are not able to speak German: I just agreed with Landorl that the mountains need a rougher transition and I said that, on some areas, look a bit thin though I admitted that the Andes and the Alps lose their 'thickness' too when you zoom to a continental scale. However, this is the only criticism I have because I love the shape of the landscape. And I am glad to see some compatriot here at the Guild.

Antheon
trying to confuse the Guild members with German : P

Sapiento
05-04-2010, 09:22 AM
Ein Landsmann aus Österreich! Fein! In der Tat, am Übergang muss noch gearbeitet werden.

I agree, the transition between flat land and mountains has to be improved.

Aval Penworth
05-04-2010, 09:56 AM
Ich kan nicht, Deutsch zu sprochen. Ich kan jedoch manchmal lessen verstehen vom schullernen.

Hey don't laugh.

I personally would like to see more variation in the mountain style at this stage. Really like your choice of colour.

Zar Peter
05-04-2010, 10:09 AM
Ich kan nicht, Deutsch zu sprochen. Ich kan jedoch manchmal lessen verstehen vom schullernen.

Hey don't laugh.

Try not to laugh... fails :)

Wow. Die Österreicherdichte hier ist wirklich gewaltig. Bin selbst aus Wien.

And for the map: It's very promising. The rougher land beside the mountains would be an improvement.
I personally think the white lines are ok with the oceans but you should clip them away in the rivers.

Antheon
05-04-2010, 10:11 AM
I'm not laughing! It's quite the different reaction: I'm astonished every single time I find someone able to speak/read German and if it's just a bit. I'd never go to Australia expecting someone to understand my gibberish. Furthermore, it would be a bad reputation for me to laugh at your sentences while asking you to excuse my bad English, wouldn't it? : )

What I understood was: "I can not speak German but sometimes I'm able to understand what I read because I've learned it in school." Right?

Antheon
wondering if it's now Avals part to laugh at him

EDIT @ Zar Peter:
Noch ein Österreicher? Wenn wir noch zwei finden, können wir hier ja einen Antrag stellen, als Minderheit anerkannt zu werden. *lacht*
Wo genau aus Wien? Ich hab früher selbst mal dort gewohnt, im dreizehnten, und bin fast jedes Jahr auf Besuch dort. : )

Aval Penworth
05-04-2010, 10:16 AM
@Antheon Yes that is what I meant. I must have been fairly close if you could understand.

Meine schule war mienem vater sher teuer, so werde ich versuchen, dafür nicht nutzlos zu sein. German and French were compulsory subjects.

Zar Peter
05-04-2010, 10:23 AM
3. Bezirk. Hab auch 3 Jahre in Salzburg gelebt, bin dann aber wieder zuzück gezogen.

And sometimes I laugh at my english, too. No offence meant, Aval, I think German is one of the hardest to learn languages (I'm sure the wording is wrong) and I'm very, very happy that I don't have to learn it as second language.

Sapiento
05-04-2010, 03:09 PM
It seems we have some members who could understand the few German maps I've made.

Well, next update. I think this map is nearly finished. Comments? Ideas?

Antheon
05-04-2010, 04:33 PM
Ah, the transition is a lot better now! I have just one thing that I would change and that's exactly what Zar Peter has mentioned already: The raster lines shouldn't be visible inside lakes and rivers, should they? Apart from that, I can not find anything that needs to be improved. Good job! : )

Aval:
That sounds great! Wished my father would've done the same thing. : )
Ah, tu peux parler français aussi? Je l'ai appris en classe.
But I have to admit that I've forgotten almost everything. I just remember the basics but back then I could speak it fluently until I quitted being a barkeeper. *laughs*

Zar Peter:
Im dritten also. Hätte nicht erwartet mit meinem Kommentar so viel anzulocken. : )

Gidde
05-04-2010, 06:11 PM
I'd agree with Antheon about the gridlines in the rivers, other than that it looks fantastic!

Sapiento
05-05-2010, 02:16 AM
The critics on the lines in the rivers have some point. I think I will remove the parts crossing rivers and lakes.

Sapiento
05-05-2010, 02:23 AM
A question to our native English speakers: is 'fearful' (in the legend) the right word, or would be 'scary' better. Think about the Double Empire as an entity that makes foreigners s**t in their pants of fear only when they hear the name.

Aval Penworth
05-05-2010, 02:30 AM
Fearsome or Terrible would be my choice. Scary is not as strong as the other adjectives.

Fearful suggests the lands are scared.

Jaxilon
05-05-2010, 02:35 AM
A question to our native English speakers: is 'fearful' (in the legend) the right word, or would be 'scary' better. Think about the Double Empire as an entity that makes foreigners s**t in their pants of fear only when they hear the name.

Actually the word you mean is "Fearsome". 'fearful' would mean they themselves are afraid which is the opposite of what you mean.

Fearsome means you DO NOT want to run into them because they are formidable and might be known for doing horrendous things to their enemies.

You could use scary but that tends to lean more toward a movie type of scary.

edit: Balls! I type to slow.

a2area
05-05-2010, 02:37 AM
Terrible, Horrible, Awful (Awesome) and Menacing are good.. Tyrannous or Frightening perhaps?

I think Horrible gets my vote (0:

Sapiento
05-05-2010, 03:09 AM
Thank you! I think I have to decide between fearsome and horrible!

Jaxilon
05-05-2010, 03:14 AM
Well there are also: Vicious, Ferocious and Malevolent which are smokin' good ones too. The last one there depends on if they are of evil bent.

I know English is not your first language but if you happen to know a good word you like and want to check others that are similar in meaning one of the best things ever is a thesaurus (http://thesaurus.com/). I personally love them.

a2area
05-05-2010, 03:22 AM
Yeah.. like Jax said.. depends on if it's an evil empire or not.. Terrible is a really good on which would work either way... somewhat less malevolent i would say.. but still conveys great power and intimidation. Horrible is one of my fav. words.. but it actually might be a little over the top unless the empire is indeed really horrible.

tilt
05-05-2010, 03:56 AM
Infamous, like the infamous El Guapo from the three amigos ;)