PDA

View Full Version : Animation software?

torstan
03-14-2010, 05:17 PM
So this is not 100% map related, but it certainly is software related, so I'll take a shot at it being relevant to this subforum. Does anyone know of any decent or cheap animation software that can be used to do flat panel animation? Ideally it would be able to do some form of tweening to avoid the need for setting and animating every frame. Any thoughts?

Daelin
03-14-2010, 06:58 PM
Adobe Flash, maybe? I tried learning it once, when I was into designing websites, but I never quite got the hang of it. But it definitely has that tweening ability, that is basically how it does animations, as far as I remember. But I think it will take quite some time to learn...

Midgardsormr
03-15-2010, 12:48 AM
Flash is pretty much the de facto standard for 2d animation these days. Toon Boom is also useful, although I don't think it does tweening—it's more of a traditional cel animation aid.

tilt
03-15-2010, 04:28 AM
I would say flash too, and it has the options of making the program do a lot of the work for you, and is also compatible with illustrator if you have files allready made. AND last but not least - makes it real easy to post to the web after ;)

Steel General
03-15-2010, 08:15 AM
I'll agree and suggest FLASH as well, did some work with it a few years ago. Powerful, but tedious to work with.

torstan
03-15-2010, 08:28 AM
Yep, I've fiddled a little with flash in the past. It's not exactly intuitive. The unanimous recommendation has convinced me to go back to it though. Once more into the breach...

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll let you know how it goes.

Redrobes
03-15-2010, 09:26 AM
You sure Blender wouldn't be a better option ?

torstan
03-15-2010, 10:20 AM
Actually with a fixed camera and a 2D plane to work on Blender might actually be more intuitive. It still feels a little like asking - which do you want to be hit with, a brick or a baseball bat?

RobA
03-15-2010, 11:06 AM
Late to the game.

Check out Creatoon: http://www.creatoon.com/index.php

Development has stopped and there is no support so it has been released for free use.

Its main features are:

* real-time editing previewing,
* automatic in-betweening,
* freedom of graphical style,
* combining bitmaps with vector graphics.

but...

CreaToon is not aiming at the traditional animaton market, where animators expect to paint their content directly within the software. In CreaToon, content has to be created separately (scanned in, using a paint program, ...), imported into CreaToon, and then animated within CreaToon.
However, CreaToon does include basic curve drawing tools ("sketch objects") that allow you to draw vector graphics within the program itself.

-Rob A>

torstan
03-15-2010, 11:43 AM
Actually that might do the trick. I'll have a look at that. Thanks!

Midgardsormr
03-15-2010, 02:05 PM
For 3d animation, Animation: Master is, I understand, quite intuitive and easy to use, but I restricted my earlier suggestions to 2d software.

If you get into 3d, either with Blender or A:M or something else entirely, you'll have a somewhat bigger job, since you'll need more structure in the characters, you'll need to rig them, and you may need to do some work lighting and texturing. It's true that you get some things for free, and some people find 3d animation to be easier, but the set-up can take quite a bit longer.

Redrobes
03-15-2010, 03:30 PM
I agree that 3D is more difficult but I was of the understanding that southpark is done on Maya and I believe a lot of 2D is similar. There are custom 2D packages for animation. I know that there is a company Cambridge Animation or something like that which specializes in high end 2D apps. You can also use 3D models and light them and then use a toon shader too which flattens the appearance. So you can do 3D, 3D looking 2D, 2D with a 3D program or 2D with a 2D program !

I would try to use a proper 2D animation package but in absence I think a 3D animation tool done in 2D is better than a 2D non animation package. Having key frames and time sync and all those anim things generally would probably save more time than by using a 2D paint app type thing. Tho my old light wave has no 2D view I know Blender has a proper Ortho camera view. To be honest a long focal length perspective is not much different tho.

Edit: Seems that these guys have bought CA...
http://www.toonboom.com/main/