PDA

View Full Version : Javartan Regional Map

Paul
03-15-2010, 01:11 AM
In fits and starts the design of my Javarta campaign lumbers into motion once more... I've begun the process of transforming thumbnail sketches and mental mapping notes into a map of the campaign area. This is, of course, a project that is standing on Tear's able shoulders. His remarkable Saderan tutorial has taught me a lot about the inner workings of Photoshop—not to mention some fantastic mapmaking techniques!

My goal was to capture the look and feel of southeast Asia, and create a setting consisting of numerous archipelagos and imposing interior highlands the PCs can romp around in (and get romped on in). I'm still laying in rivers; vegetation and polishing await (I may vary some of the coloring). In terms of real-world analog, this map runs from just above Taiwan down to the tip of the Cambodia/Thai peninsula (scale is 50 miles per hex).

Critiques welcome...

One thing I couldn't get to work as described in the tutorial (page 6) was the underwater terrain; maybe it's because I am working as high resolution? I could get the continental shelf effect, but only very close to shore and at a small scale.

More soon!

Diamond
03-15-2010, 02:00 AM
Oh, that's nice. Really nice. Can't wait to see how this progresses!

tilt
03-15-2010, 05:19 AM
looking really good - looking forward to seing more :)

Daelin
03-15-2010, 05:14 PM
Oh yeah, you really know your Tear, my friend. Very shard and crisp indeed. I'd love to see it once the plants and trees start to grow. What I could do without is the hexagonal grid, but hey, that's just because I'm not a big pen-and-paper guy (still a big RPG fan, though). Nice work, keep it up.

Ascension
03-15-2010, 05:28 PM
Very islandy and Greek-like, nice layout.

Paul
03-16-2010, 11:54 PM
Thanks for the encouragement. I expect to get back to the map this weekend.

Daelin: I'm not sure I'll put the hexgrid on the final map. Right now it's an easy way of tracking scale.