PDA

View Full Version : Anneira Revisited

Diamond
03-15-2010, 03:45 AM
I was getting frustrated with the way my Savage Lands and 4000AD maps were progressing (or weren't progressing), so I decided to redesign a map I did a couple months ago. I have some story ideas percolating for this setting, but they necessitated a change in some of the geography. (Plus, let's face it, it was an excuse to start yet another map. :D)

This map draws heavily (in its setup anyway) from Ascension's antique maps tut, and I'm also going to be using Arcana's nifty tapered rivers tut. For the mountains, I want to do some kind of semi-grayscale pseudo-topographical look, but I'm still experimenting on how to get the look I want. Ideally I'd like to achieve a look like the mountains on a2area's fantastic maps, but without going through all the terrain generating programs. So some experimentation will be forthcoming.

Here's the first few 'chapters'; continental outline and woodcut done, and some rough layouts for mountain placement. I may lighten the woodcut later on, but I kind of like the boldness of it right now. I guess it'll depend on how the text looks on top of it.

tilt
03-15-2010, 05:01 AM
looks really good... be bold - cut wood ;)

Diamond
03-15-2010, 05:41 AM
looks really good... be bold - cut wood ;)
The one time I tried to cut wood I almost took my damn foot off. :D

tilt
03-15-2010, 06:15 AM
lol... not been doing a lot of it myself either - did have a lot of pallets that I cut with a chainsaw 2 years ago - but thats damn hard work, and murder on the chain, so next time - I'll drive them to the dump instead :)

Diamond
03-15-2010, 04:43 PM
This is more what I wanted; I'm pretty happy with this now. Next will be rivers, experimenting with Arcana's cool-looking tapered rivers tut.

tilt
03-15-2010, 04:56 PM
much better... like the look a lot, Im thinking a bit about the lakes though - they are totally wood cut.. and it might be nicer if they were a bit lighter than the ocean? :)

Diamond
03-15-2010, 05:43 PM
much better... like the look a lot, Im thinking a bit about the lakes though - they are totally wood cut.. and it might be nicer if they were a bit lighter than the ocean? :)
Good point, I'll work on that next. Meantime, here's an update with rivers added in.

Diamond
03-15-2010, 08:39 PM
And another update with borders and a whole lotta text (and a whole lot more to go...)

Diamond
03-16-2010, 02:32 AM
Another update... Nice thing about having Monday off is I can get all my errands done quick in the morning while everyone else is working, then spend the rest of the day on the map. :D

Ascension
03-16-2010, 03:16 AM
Lookin good, man.

Steel General
03-16-2010, 10:37 AM
Progressing quite nicely!

Diamond
03-17-2010, 02:24 AM
I think this is just about done... does anyone see any cities I forgot to name or any other glaring errors? (Note: I purposely didn't name every single statelet in the west.)

Edit: Added what I think is the final version, unless someone has any suggestions or sees any boo-boos. What do you think of the dirty-ish overlay? Too much?

bartmoss
03-17-2010, 04:45 AM
Nope, lookin' good. No river violations I can spot either. Good job! I do think I prefer the lighter version, but the darker version does have a more aged feel, so it'as not a strong preferrence.

tilt
03-17-2010, 05:30 AM
that turned out d*mn good - I prefer the non-dirtied version and lots of rep (thats 1) coming your way :)