PDA

View Full Version : *** March/April Lite Challenge: Dwarf Fortress ***

torstan
03-16-2010, 05:08 PM
This month's lite challenge is to map a dwarven fortress. This can be as small as a staging post on a road down into the dark places of the world or as large as a full blown dwarven citadel. This challenge is light on rules and restrictions, as long as your map describes a home fit for a dwarf.

Remember to precede any image attachment with the tag:

### Latest WIP ###

so that the thumbnail scraper will pick up your entry.

The challenge will end on the 15th of April. Good luck and happy mining!

Talroth
03-16-2010, 09:48 PM
Are bonus points awarded for using ASCII key coded 'art'?
(If you don't get its relation to Dwarf Fortress, and consider yourself a geek, then hang your head in shame.)

mearrin69
03-16-2010, 09:57 PM
I am duly shamed...I don't get it. :) Cool challenge, though.
M

torstan
03-17-2010, 12:08 AM
I was wondering how long it would be before someone made that reference and I am duly impressed :)

On that note - if you value your free time do not google dwarf fortress. You have been warned...

tilt
03-17-2010, 05:27 AM
oh nooooo.. .I googled it...... ;)

Bencool141
03-17-2010, 05:43 AM
Ah, that Dwarf Fortress... =D

Steel General
03-17-2010, 10:21 AM
It should be called the "Time Sucking Void" :)

Talroth
03-17-2010, 11:24 AM
It should be called the "Time Sucking Void" :)

Make that "Time Sucking Void with Poor User Interface".

Hopefully I'll have time to actually attempt something for this challenge, but more than likely I'll get side tracked on making a newer version of DF with a design that started in my HCI class.

Greason Wolfe
03-17-2010, 08:54 PM
You know, I'm very tempted on this one. There is a technique with Terragen I've been eager to experiment with in combination with the hand-drawn simulation I was trying to achieve with one of my previous challenge maps, and this just might give me the opportunity to do so. It is, however, going to depend on how much time I have available.

GW

tilt
03-18-2010, 05:26 AM
yeah GW, go do it... I've allready started :)

Jaxilon
03-21-2010, 02:48 AM
Telling me NOT to google it is like forcing me to do it....now if I can only figure out wth it is! I'll try a tutorial and see where that gets me next. Also, because you did say, "you have been warned", I won't scream at you for what may happen but I will probably blame you in my mind all the way to the bitter end :)

Jaxilon
04-14-2010, 11:45 PM
The thumbnails for the 'Lite Challenge' are old, I know this is done manually, but is there some kind of schedule to the updating of them? I think mine is from a few days ago still.

torstan
04-15-2010, 11:30 AM
They've been updated.

Deadline for finals will be 4pm EST today (9pm GMT). I'll update the thumbnails then and put up the voting thread. Glad to see so many people have managed to drag themselves away from Dwarf Fortress long enough to get some maps up :)

Jaxilon
04-15-2010, 12:19 PM
Yeah, I'm afraid to go visit my Dwarf Fortress. I don't know if they will let me slip away from the Fort again after my slinking off last time. (takes a bit to learn but with a tileset it's quite fun)

Thanks Torstan

moutarde
04-15-2010, 12:36 PM
Glad to see so many people have managed to drag themselves away from Dwarf Fortress long enough to get some maps up :)

Dragged myself away, but not soon enough! If I had gotten out 2 weeks earlier, I'd have a map too ;)