PDA

View Full Version : Zornas

RobA
03-17-2010, 04:01 PM
Another map for a novel, intended to be in the same style as this one (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?7314-Landrathor-for-a-Novel).

Just getting started.

-Rob A>

Ascension
03-17-2010, 04:19 PM
I really like your sketchy forests, looks very carefree and easy.

Korash
03-17-2010, 08:06 PM
I like the forests too.

My only real critique is on the mountains. They really seem to overpower the map, forcing the mind to see it in a different perspective than top-down. More of an isometric view. The hills seem to fit the style though.

RobA
03-17-2010, 11:10 PM
I'll be adding hills to the NE, and the main city and surrounding outposts will be in the northern prairie. I'm hoping that will balance the mountains.

I felt they were a bit heavy and made a version with cross hatching, but the requestor prefers the solid mountain shading.

-Rob A>

vernontwinkie
03-18-2010, 12:33 AM
Perhaps changing the angle of the forest? I'm not exactly sure how that would work out, though. I'm thinking you could make the angle look different by lengthening the trunks on the visible parts of the forest. I don't even know how one would execute that properly or if it would even work! Lol.

jfrazierjr
03-18-2010, 08:26 AM
I felt they were a bit heavy and made a version with cross hatching, but the requestor prefers the solid mountain shading.

:? :? Umm.. the version I see has cross hatching on it??? Personally, it much prefer the solid as from the linked map versus the fine cross hatch(which seems WAAY to "prefect" when compared to the randomness of the trees).

Also, is there a reason the lakes inks are so heavily defined? They look very out of place to me compared to the river inks.

Anyway... very nice start!!!

RobA
03-19-2010, 07:40 PM
oops!

Here is the one without hatching...

-Rob A>

RobA
03-25-2010, 03:36 PM
I like the forests too.

My only real critique is on the mountains. They really seem to overpower the map, forcing the mind to see it in a different perspective than top-down. More of an isometric view. The hills seem to fit the style though.

I've added hills in the NE. Also, just south of the hills will be a number of cities/villages that will use isometric icons that I hope will help. (When I look at the map it look like it curves "up" as you go north. The darkened tree trunks might also help.

Perhaps changing the angle of the forest? I'm not exactly sure how that would work out, though. I'm thinking you could make the angle look different by lengthening the trunks on the visible parts of the forest. I don't even know how one would execute that properly or if it would even work! Lol.

I darkened the trunks on the W side, and lengthened them everywhere.

:? :? Umm.. the version I see has cross hatching on it??? Personally, it much prefer the solid as from the linked map versus the fine cross hatch(which seems WAAY to "prefect" when compared to the randomness of the trees).

Also, is there a reason the lakes inks are so heavily defined? They look very out of place to me compared to the river inks.

Anyway... very nice start!!!

They were placeholders. The lakes are now as I want them.

-Rob A>

jfrazierjr
03-25-2010, 03:41 PM
hmmm.. the lakes dont really seem any different...perhaps it's just me...

Edit: NM... I see the changes in the lake.... not really liking the super wide stroke on the lakes, but still a very good map! Do you plan to do a color version or just the BW for print?

RobA
03-26-2010, 02:35 PM
... not really liking the super wide stroke on the lakes, but still a very good map! Do you plan to do a color version or just the BW for print?

I's not planning to do colour.

Here is the latest, with city icons coming in... I may lighten the lake stroke a bit, but wanted to balance the heave mountains a bit. Having the darker forest fill helps, I feel. And thank-you, btw.

-Rob A>

Ascension
03-26-2010, 03:46 PM
Looking good so far but the mtns appear to not fit now with everything else being so nice.

RobA
03-26-2010, 04:23 PM
Looking good so far but the mtns appear to not fit now with everything else being so nice.

Yeah - I think they look too big and not detailed enough.

Any suggested styles?

-Rob A>

Ascension
03-27-2010, 12:59 PM
Just go in with an eraser and turn the chunks into hatching...the resulting lines should fit better. I don't want to say use the Ramah brushes but that style fits the buildings. Put your style to that style and all should be well.

RobA
03-28-2010, 10:24 PM
One more update of the mountains. Any better? (I'm just not great with scribbley fills... I made a tileable fill and then painted it in with a mask)

I guess the next step would be a complete redraw. Might wait till all the labels are on to see if it improved :(

-Rob A>

Ascension
03-28-2010, 10:30 PM
I think it looks remarkably good for scribbling a pattern fill. Fits pretty well but maybe a bit of waviness to match the trees, shrug. I dunno.

RobA
05-28-2010, 12:44 PM
One more update. I still would like to do something better than the hills and mountains in the NE.

-Rob A>

tilt
05-29-2010, 02:23 AM
looking really good - I like the lowered lake in the south and love your icons :)
the early postings in this thread doesn't seem to work, so its only possible to follow the last 2 maps.

alizarine
05-29-2010, 04:14 AM
I agree with tilt: excellent "valley of the mist". I quite like how this is turning out, especially those icons and the Zornas label. Personally, there are a few too many scribbly lines defining the edges of the forest, especially if the mountains and most everything else is so much cleaner. (I also can only see the last two maps, by the way).

- Alizarine

RobA
05-29-2010, 09:47 AM
(I also can only see the last two maps, by the way).

- Alizarine

I had to purge a bunch of my old images because of file limitation on the old host, so many/most of my old wips are gone :(

-Rob A>

pasis
06-01-2010, 02:58 AM
I'm not bothered by the forest edge, but I would like to see some forests near the mountains and the walley of the mist (unless it makes the mountains too grouded). Very nice already indeed...

RobA
08-05-2010, 09:21 AM
A bit of a stylistic change-up on the forests, and I'm calling this done,

-Rob A>

Ramah
08-05-2010, 10:26 AM
Nice map, RobA. The area in the south is superb. I have to say I don't like your new forests though. I prefer the original style as they fit the rest of the map more. The rest of the map is lovely and hand-drawn but those trees look too digitial. Maybe it's the soft shading you have on them. They would look a lot better if they had scratchy shading like the rest of the map. Still not sure I'd like them more than the original style though.

Jaxilon
08-05-2010, 10:47 AM
Great map! I really like the southern end, that canyon with the river through it is just excellent and those mountains are fantastic. For some reason though it looks to me like the 3/4 effect is lost as you approach the northern half of the map. I think if you could update the lake and river to have more of a 3/4 view it would be perfect.

RobA
08-06-2010, 02:14 PM
Nice map, RobA. The area in the south is superb. I have to say I don't like your new forests though. I prefer the original style as they fit the rest of the map more. The rest of the map is lovely and hand-drawn but those trees look too digitial. Maybe it's the soft shading you have on them. They would look a lot better if they had scratchy shading like the rest of the map. Still not sure I'd like them more than the original style though.

I had the initial style of forests, as I liked it better, myself. And it is scratchy shading... it just doesn;t seem to come across as well.

-Rob A>