PDA

View Full Version : More Towns for my RPG Campaign

Aval Penworth
03-25-2010, 08:28 AM
Another CC3 Fantasy Town. This town will be the players base for a while as they explore the dark forests nearby. I haven't done the key yet hence the big blank space on the right. Say what you like about CC3 but to get a result like this in under 2 hours is pretty sweet! It's amazing what you can knock over when a client doesn't show up.:)

NeonKnight
03-25-2010, 09:11 AM
Looks good. Only thing I would change is instead of a drop shadow (which makes the building look like they are floating), is try instead the DIRECTIONAL WALL SHADOW effect.

Katto
03-25-2010, 09:25 AM
I like it. Have you experimented with the "Displacement" effect on the roads? That would match more to the buildings than the straight ones (in my opinion).
Sorry, can't rep you yet.

Aval Penworth
03-25-2010, 09:30 AM
I will try both of your suggestions on my next city. Thanks guys.

Edit: Looking back it does look like someone has gone nuts with a levitation wand in the ruins section. Time to drop the drop shadow.

Larb
03-25-2010, 11:45 AM
That's a nice town, especially for only two hours work. Also, directional wall shadow? That's a nice feature. If only photoshop had it!

Aval Penworth
03-30-2010, 09:25 AM
I thought I'd post the labeled version too. Printed at A4 or A3 I think it looks good.

Blaidd Drwg
03-31-2010, 12:44 PM
That's a nice town, especially for only two hours work. Also, directional wall shadow? That's a nice feature. If only photoshop had it!
Word! That would kill the "ruin levitation problem" stone-dead, I think. ;)

Otherwise: very nice work indeed.
Repped :)

Aval Penworth
04-01-2010, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the feed-back, guys. Always good to get some critical comments.

Aval Penworth
04-19-2010, 10:44 AM
Check out this map I found on a 3.5" floppy. This is vintage Aval, Circa 1990. Probably originally done on the MS Paint Accessory.

Aval Penworth
04-19-2010, 01:16 PM
A small castle one of the characters in my campaign is about to inherit. All he has to do now is clear out the critters:P

This only took 45 mins. Plus Ya Gotta love those dirctional wall shadows!

Edit: Dang, just noticed: The shadows double up on the towers. Maybe I need to group the towers with the wall? Hmm.

tilt
04-19-2010, 03:59 PM
like your "vintage" map ... 1990 eh... played a lot back then... those were the days... mid eighties were better though played every day then... :)

Aval Penworth
04-19-2010, 07:56 PM
like your "vintage" map ... 1990 eh... played a lot back then... those were the days... mid eighties were better though played every day then... :)

Yes. I have a box, in storage of the charcter sheets and maps from the 80s. Maybe I will try to dig up a really old one for ya. Might be good for a laugh.

Aval Penworth
05-01-2010, 01:27 PM
A little snippet from an upcoming town map.

Ascension
05-01-2010, 01:52 PM
I dig that. Looks like CD3 post-processed in PS with ink outlines filter and maybe watercolor artistic filter, then oversaturated. Really cool look and I think you could keep going with this and develop a full blown style. Nice job, bro.

Aval Penworth
05-03-2010, 09:49 AM
@ Ascension. Your eye is as keen as ever. This was done in CD3 then PS for a ripple filter on the river faded to 20%, ink outlines, faded to 40% then a few colour selected saturation adjustments.

This was originally made for someone else but I liked it too much not to rebadge it and stick it in my own campaign world.
Here is the rest of it. Any comments before I post this as finished?

Katto
05-03-2010, 01:42 PM
Cool, I like the coastlines. Have you exported each sheet to PS or as a whole? Well done!

Ascension
05-03-2010, 05:51 PM
This town of yours actually got me making some new house brushes. Well done, mate.

Aval Penworth
05-03-2010, 07:41 PM
Cool, I like the coastlines. Have you exported each sheet to PS or as a whole? Well done!

I exported the whole file with sheet effects. The CD3 work took ages, then about 3min in photoshop. I've used that filter combo before but it really worked well on this map.

Edit: Wow!!! Thanks for all the rep guys. Looks like this style is a hit.

Natai
05-04-2010, 04:41 PM
Very cool style. May be something I have to play around with.
With regard to the wall/tower shadows on previous map, I wouldn't group the towers and walls as you may lose the fact that the current setup allows the towers to cast shadow on portions of the wall. My suggestion would be to increase the length of the tower shadows to better reflect the (assumed) difference in height between them and the walls. The easiest method I can think of would be to then select the area where the two shadows overlap and then delete that portion of the tower shadow, lower its opacity, or light it in some other way. You probably should see some overlap of shadows, just not as pronounced.

Aval Penworth
05-05-2010, 12:05 PM
I have now posted The City of Feyerlun to "finished maps" stand by for my next city.

Aval Penworth
05-15-2010, 04:55 AM
A village and watchtower on one of the high roads of Arl.

tilt
05-15-2010, 05:18 AM
looking really good - perhaps the towers shadow should reach a bit longer, and the pond/small lake could use some stronger definition :)

Aval Penworth
05-20-2010, 07:37 PM
looking really good - perhaps the towers shadow should reach a bit longer, and the pond/small lake could use some stronger definition :)

Fair enough. I'm not sure if I'll re-post this one though.

Redrobes
05-20-2010, 07:50 PM
Liking all of these. I'll try to rep ya in a mo. My only crit is that I think the water is too aqua bright for my taste. The grass textures you have are real nice and look quite realistic. I have seen water this color when it holds that white sediment from glaciers or similar tho.

Aval Penworth
05-20-2010, 07:51 PM
I made this fairly quickly for my game. It depicts a loney fortified pass into the dwarven realms.

mearrin69
05-20-2010, 08:18 PM
I like these...especially the last one. I can imagine playing some kind of top-down real-time strategy game on it. :) Orcs vs. dwarves, I guess.
M

Aval Penworth
11-15-2010, 07:54 PM
Walled city port, I'm still working on another version with labels. Feel free to snaffle this one for your own game tho.