PDA

View Full Version : October Entry: Greenstone Monastery

Torq
10-09-2007, 11:53 AM
Hi All

Here is what I have so far for the interior. I am working on the grounds and plan to add a regional map of the monastery's location. Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks to all the Dundjinni contributors who may see their stuff in this layout.

Torq

Gamerprinter
10-09-2007, 12:12 PM
Nice work, Torq!

I've got Dundjinni too, but like CC3, I only dabble with it. I've seen some really awesome work created in Dundjinni,though.

What is the object on the upper left side - looks like a candelabra, maybe?

One question though? Your floor looks like it belongs in a ruin, moreso than a church in use, is this intentional or am I missing something? (not a criticism, so much as a question...)

And of course, I see that I'm the only one that's deviating from the traditional interior architecture of an orthodox cathedral.

I'd say you are all smarter than me! :P

Torq
10-09-2007, 01:27 PM
Thanks Gamerprinter

I dont actually use Dundjinni. This is done completely using Gimp, but I do use some of the artwork posted in the Dunjinni forums, and there is quite a lot of it in this layout.

The object on the left is actually a design painted by the cultists of their evil deity, with candles placed at the edges. In the middle is a pile of smouldering coals that they use for their rituals. I have been unhappy with the way it looks for some time and the fact that you couldn't recognise it has made up my mind. It will be replaced.

The floor I made while messing with grids in Gimp. I think the floor looks old. Its made from a rare stone quarried in ancient times from the nearby Vesher Hills ;).

As for interior architecture, mine is more accident than design. I just followed, in very broad, strokes the photo. I think your interior layout is excellent and complex, as a building that size should be. I just havn't got the skills for that kind of variation.

Thanks for the feedback.

Torq

Gamerprinter
10-09-2007, 02:25 PM
Red is the opposite of green on the color wheel. As a complimentary color red stands out against green almost as well as black against white (almost). If you created your deities image in red it would stand out much better!

Just a suggestion. ;)

RPMiller
10-09-2007, 02:30 PM
Ok, here are the few points that I could find:

Window angle with wall - The stained glass windows have an angle to them, but the walls do not.
Blood smears not "scaled" - The blood stains/smears/pools look more like they are droplets on the page rather than part of the interior of the building.
Floor tile too "bathroom" like - I really don't like that floor tile. A church like this would be more ornate and certainly have a floor that their god would be proud to look down upon. This floor look more like a dingy bathroom tile, or something slapped together by those that don't care what it is made of. Perhaps larger tiles with a lighter color/texture and much smaller joints would improve that.

ravells
10-09-2007, 05:31 PM
Very nice, Torq! Looking forward to seeing more. The only thing I'd suggest is to check your light source, the shadow directions and the directions the light is cast through the windows for consistency.

RobA
10-10-2007, 10:52 AM
Floor tile too "bathroom" like - I really don't like that floor tile. A church like this would be more ornate and certainly have a floor that their god would be proud to look down upon. This floor look more like a dingy bathroom tile, or something slapped together by those that don't care what it is made of. Perhaps larger tiles with a lighter color/texture and much smaller joints would improve that.

Torq-

Try one of the tiles based on the image I made in this thread:

http://dundjinni.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=7955

-Rob A>

RPMiller
10-10-2007, 12:15 PM
Good stuff RobA!

pyrandon
10-10-2007, 01:22 PM
Looking great, Torq!

Torq
10-11-2007, 04:14 AM
Thanks RobA

Those are some seriously great floors. I think they are a little too colourful and busy for what I'm trying to do though. I'm woking on a similar shade floor to the original but with a thinner grout and larger paving stone.

Thanks for the help though.

Torq

RPMiller
10-11-2007, 01:01 PM
Thanks RobA

Those are some seriously great floors. I think they are a little too colourful and busy for what I'm trying to do though. I'm woking on a similar shade floor to the original but with a thinner grout and larger paving stone.

Thanks for the help though.

Torq
Sounds perfect! Can't wait to see them.

Torq
10-15-2007, 03:23 AM
This is what I have done so far. Still more work on some aspects needed eg. pillars dont look high enough and stained galss reflection on top of a pillar, but I'm geeting to the stage where I will put it out there. Also started working on the regional map.

Torq

ravells
10-15-2007, 07:20 AM
Wow! I'm gobsmacked! I think the entries in this month's competition are the best I've ever seen.

RobA
10-15-2007, 10:19 AM
Very nice looking, and excellent detail.

One note - you seem to have lost the stair shadows on the upper right hand side.

-Rob A>

RPMiller
10-15-2007, 11:25 AM
Very nice improvements across the board! Well done.

ravells
10-16-2007, 09:06 AM
I just love the little details in this map...for example trying to recreate the last moments of the priest's life by looking at the position of the body, the blood trail and the broken door.

Kepli
10-16-2007, 09:25 AM
Very nice work :D

You do indeed miss a few shadows for steps, but other than that it looks absolutely stunning :D

Torq
10-16-2007, 11:06 AM
Thank you Kepli, Ravs, RP and RobA for the very kind words of encouragement. Regional map is nearly done and then I can go and find a nice quiet hole and try and do something about the deadlines in my legal practice that have been somewhat extended by this challenge.

Cheers
Torq

ravells
10-16-2007, 11:51 AM
If England beat South Africa in the Rugby World Cup final, I'll vote for your map!

....So it looks like you've got one vote already ;)

Torq
10-17-2007, 02:24 AM
Looks like my chances in the challenge are slipping away, cos we all know that its never going to happen. Come to think of it that would be a great theme for next month's challenge, "South Africa's Roadmap to world cup Glory". Might not have mass appeal though particularly with so many members here coming from lands that havn't fully grasped the wonders of rugby union. Lotsa Canadians though on this board so "big up" to the Canucks for trying.;)

Torq

Amonite
10-17-2007, 11:02 AM
I love this map, its very atmospheric ^.^ I actually liked the old tile better though, even if it was kind of bathroom-esque...the new tile reminds me of a kitchen floor. Maybe try out a mosaic type pattern (not an actual mosaic...but more randomized, smaller mosaic fitting tiles)

Anyways, this map is very pretty in a death scene sort of way ;)

pyrandon
10-17-2007, 05:43 PM
I think Amonite may be onto something, Torq: the mosaic tile may eliminate the "bathroom" feel by taking care of what I think is the true issue: the squares are far too large for the scale of the monastery. I would at least halve the size (if not more!).

Also, would the builders spend the time putting patterns below the pews? Maybe instead place an inset tile border along the edges of the pew areas? (Actually a true Orthodox monastery would have no pews but (perhaps) along the walls--but I realize we're fictionalizing here.)

Two other suggestions: 1) the stained glass windows are in deep perspective, but the walls are not; thus the illusion is broken. I'd make the walls also deep 3D or eliminate the perspective on the windows. 2) the dead body is cheesy & cartoony IMO; I'd get rid of it or make it more lifelike.

Just some ideas to help; overall looking great. I absolutely love the mood you've created! Keep it up!

Torq
10-18-2007, 03:41 AM
Thanks all for the advice and comments. Looks like it will be back to the drawing board for the monastery. In the meantime I have been working on this simple regional map to go with it.

Torq

ravells
10-18-2007, 03:53 AM
Simply superb! I love that texture you've used that the monastery is sitting on with its faint hint of contour lines. Any chance you could post the texture up in the Reference Materials section?

p.s. - I really like the dead body! It gives the scene a story context (sorry Don!).

Torq
10-18-2007, 04:09 AM
Thanks Ravs. The contour lines are created using Gimp's bump map feature. I have an app called Mojoworld that generates planet surfaces. I then lokk for a part of the planet that I like and export two files, one is the texture and the other is a grayscale bump map. I apply them together in Gimp which allows you to adjust the strength of the bump. When the strength is sent up fairly high the contours become visible.

I could make a few textures like this and put then in the reference section.

Torq

RPMiller
10-18-2007, 11:16 AM
I have to agree with Ravs. That is a superb regional map and the contours and "depth" are wonderful.

ravells
10-18-2007, 01:27 PM
Yup. Torq is wasted in the law! Torq, if you post up some largish squares (2048 ) of the textures with bump I can have a go at making them seamless unless you'd like to do that too!

Ah just spotted your tutorial - thanks a million.

Watch us ruffle Percy's hair on Saturday - I'm so excited. Whatever the score, I hope it's a close and exciting game!

RobA
10-18-2007, 05:26 PM
Nice job!-

I'm going have to steak that texture/technique!

-Rob A>

Torq
10-19-2007, 02:22 AM
Ravs, I dont want to threadjack, but Percy's hair is never ruffled. Never, end of story. I also hope its a great game that isn't ruined by either teams' tactics ;).

ravells
10-20-2007, 04:46 PM
Well played SA. Those silly penalties cost us in the end...but I still thought that SA were the better team. Congrats! May the Rainbow Nation celebrate long through the night!

p.s. It was a try...although it made no difference.

Torq
10-21-2007, 06:32 AM
Thanks Ravs. Yes, great tight game, not the prettiest but intense has hell, what you expect in a final. Either team could have won it. Nursing a bit of wine flu this morning, and the whole nation has gone beserk.

Torq

Torq
10-23-2007, 09:08 AM
Here is a version of the monastery with the size of the flagstones halved.

Torq

pyrandon
10-23-2007, 12:47 PM
Amazing how much of an improvement that makes!

Torq
10-25-2007, 03:07 AM
Here are the final entries. Not all suggestions have been implemented, mostly due to time constraints, but I suppose thats how it goes.

Torq

RPMiller
10-25-2007, 10:55 AM
Well done Torq! Excellent color in both, and very nice style.

pyrandon
10-25-2007, 03:30 PM
Great, great job, Torq!