PDA

View Full Version : Mardarin W.I.P

Yandor
03-25-2010, 11:56 PM
So I decided to take that style of mountains and just give it a go on a little bit larger scale, this is just after I rendered the mountains and began coloring (didn't copy the mountains from multiple images and blend together like I did with the Lormarin's Pass, it took a very long time to copy parts of mountains in) so I thought I'd get one that looks half decent from the actual rendering. What do you guys think? of just the general layout, I know its very mountainous and thats fine for this map.

p.s. don't pay any attention to the Green, it was just a guide line for coloring the mountains. And I'll eventually bring it into a "flat" border.

Yandor
03-26-2010, 12:03 AM
So I realized that when I last was making maps I kept a ton of styles and things from older tutorials here (Thanks guys!) so I just clicked a style and through in some trees, also messed with the river idea, just a little snapshot, wondering if it all fits. Any comments, tips or anything would be wonderful!

Coyotemax
03-26-2010, 12:38 AM
I love the trees and mountains! the rivers seem a bit forced, perhaps if you had them taper more as they go uphill? As they are, they cut in rather harshly.

Darn fine start though! *impressed*

Yandor
03-26-2010, 01:49 AM
hmm yeah I hear ya, Coyotemax... Now just to figure out how to make it a bit better, I'll mess with the tapering some more, but any ideas on how to make a decent river, when your working with something like this? (Pic #1) I was using those dark "canyon" things as a guide and had a gentle layer blend but as Coyotemax said the rivers seemed a bit "harsh" (Pic #2 uploaded again) and me doing a bit to soften the rivers but don't know how good of a job I did... (Pic #3) I uploads pic 2 again so you can compare them. Oh and I did adjust the forest a little bit (in Pic #3). But yeah, any help would be fantastic! Thanks!

Coyotemax
03-26-2010, 02:26 AM
I see you're using photoshop.. what effects are you using on the rivers?
The middle pic has better forests (lighter and better transition up the slopes to my eye) but the rivers in the third one blend a tad nicer.. (they may or may not have come out in the order you expected, i have the same probs with uploads, heh)

Yandor
03-26-2010, 03:53 AM
Well I've gotten a little farther, its amazing on how distracted I can get, but I was wondering if maybe I've gone a little too river crazy? Eh I donno but there are still a good hand full of rivers I plan on making, but tell me what you think, any advice would be wonderful!

Also thanks again Coyotemax, your advice did help!

Yandor
03-27-2010, 06:53 AM
Well I added a little bit more to the map, not a ton but I decided to take the map to the boarder of the image or however you want to say it, I haven't finished the other side but I'll get done here soon.

LonewandererD
03-27-2010, 07:53 AM
Looking good, but the settlements (i'm guessing that's what they are) look a little flat compared to the rest of the map, maybe adding a drop shadow, stroke or some sort of bevel may help. I'd rep but i need to spread it around some more first.

-D-

Midgardsormr
03-27-2010, 01:33 PM
Nice forests!

The forest-filled plateaus look very flat. There is no sense that the slopes of the mountains continue down, or any variation of elevation in the forests at all. You need to add some shaded relief to the forested areas to counteract that. New layer, fill with 50% gray, set to Overlay, and use the burn and dodge tools. Check out my Mennin's Hallow map for an example of how I did it with that same forest technique at a somewhat larger scale:

Yandor
04-01-2010, 07:34 AM
Hey thanks for the help guys! I finished the extra mountains and things to fill out the corners of the map, I tweaked the forests a bunch... for whatever reason I didn't like the color, didn't seem to fit in my opinion, but tell me what you guys think of the new color. Also messed with the "town" or settlements and added some more in, also put in a path... Still have a bunch of rivers to add, but its coming a long slowly but Any ideas, opinions would be great! Thanks!

p.s. Midgardsormr I tried to do as you said... donno if it really came out too well but yeah

tilt
04-01-2010, 09:37 AM
the town by the lake looks good, the other need som more perspective, and your roads could use some more blending in they look like they are lying on top of the forrests - try deleteing som forest where the road goes to help it "sink in". Otherwise, really good looking, love your mountains :)

Yandor
04-01-2010, 01:19 PM
oops forgot to do the blend, I needed to redo the road, but when you say perspective, I think I may understand but maybe you could elaborate a little bit for me. Cause I've messed with the cities, and this is a mixed love hate for them right now =P and maybe your idea of perspective might tip the scales.

tilt
04-01-2010, 02:22 PM
right now the cities look a bit like "plastered on" - they have to integrate more in the landscape - as said you did it with the town by the lake - you "laid the town down" so it follows the landscape. Things further away in the city should be smaller and you can "cheat" by squeezing the city more together at the back. :)

Yandor
04-01-2010, 07:17 PM
Tilt, I get what your saying, but for the life of me every time I try to really adjust it it doesn't really come out right... but I did mess with them, they are still close to the same but I think I like them more than before, thanks again for the input but I continued one and added more stuff in, its nearing completion! Still any advice would be grand!

p.s. I realized I didn't flip the forest heightening and what not on, so it'll look flat again, and I forgot to tone down the fields on the left.

tilt
04-02-2010, 03:31 AM
Mardoon is alright now, if you want to give it a bit more - try making the wall lower at the back of the town as things further away are smaller :)
Mardarin looks wrong because the wall are a perfect square. I've attached an image to show you what to do :)

Yandor
04-04-2010, 06:53 PM
Well I added more in, finished off the rivers, and naming, I tilted the city of Mardarin and put a clouded area over the right side, Tell me what you think and any other opinions I think I'll throw a border on it, and stick it in the finished area! Well Thanks again for all your help!

tilt
04-05-2010, 04:42 AM
looking good - really like the cloud idea... and the clouds too :) ... the cities look fine. The lettering is bit dominating and I think I'd rather use some antiqua letters (those with feet) for fantasy maps as these look a bit modern. :)