PDA

View Full Version : March/April entry: Dwarven city.

tilt
04-01-2010, 09:43 AM
So I've gotten around to doing some work on my dwarven city. I'm going for some classic dungeons with a few eye-pleasers here and there. Trying to make 5 levels on the same map, just to see how it works :)

### Latest WIP ###

Aval Penworth
04-01-2010, 09:56 AM
5 levels!! On the same map!!! I hope you have some time off work this week. (smirk)

tilt
04-01-2010, 10:06 AM
*lol*... well, they are going to be small levels as the higher levels are going to cover for the lower levels. So I'm using 5 shades for the floors of the levels getting darker as one travels downwards :)

torstan
04-06-2010, 06:25 PM
Sounds great, and ambitious! Looking good so far.

Djekspek
04-06-2010, 06:48 PM
great start Tilt! I like the subtle lighting/shading of the bridges and down-going stairs. I presume that the darker the rooms, the deeper they are (to indicate levels) which is - if am right- a nice find. problem may be the overlap between the levels (currently the rooms are a little bevelled so maybe an inner shadow may give some more depth to the rooms....) anyway i'm curious how this will turn out... small note: the water texture seems a little out-of-place to me (a little shiny) but I guess it depends on further texturing... good luck 'n cheers!

tilt
04-07-2010, 03:35 AM
thanks, haven't had time to work on it over eastern - been busy eating a lot of good food in great company :) ... but I'll try to get some time in these next days, I forget if its the 10th or 15th it ends.
Yep, the darker the deeper - good idea with the inner shadow, I'll try that. Haven't worked much with the textures yet, so what ever is there is probably temporary depending on time ;) - only thing I used some actual time on is the bridges - pretty pleased with those :)

euio
04-07-2010, 04:41 AM
I actually prefer it as it is, without textures; I really like the clean look.

tilt
04-10-2010, 05:37 AM
So, the 10th has arrived and I haven't had time to work on my dungeon *sigh* ... so I just quickly put an hour in before we have to get ready to recieve our guests - so, far from finished, here is my entry in the Competetion - the Dwarven stronghold Narag gatol (Black Fortress). The levels are a deeper shade the further down you go. Haven't had time to work with the textures and for the finishing touches, planned to add some fittings here and there (like the pillars in the marketplace) - but all in all it was supposed to be a bit old school dungeon look - so bare rooms exept for things like pillars and statues and such.

Good luck to all in the competition :)

My map in 50% size:
#### Latest WIP ###

moutarde
04-10-2010, 11:44 AM
I have a feeling the challenge might not close till the 15th ;)

Aval Penworth
04-14-2010, 12:04 PM
Arghh come on man!!! You're almost there... Push over the top and produce something special...There is still time!!!

Jaxilon
04-15-2010, 01:16 AM
You know, sometimes you just can't afford to have guests. Did they mind at all that they forced you to stop your artistic development? It's not right I say.

tilt
04-15-2010, 08:10 AM
You know, sometimes you just can't afford to have guests. Did they mind at all that they forced you to stop your artistic development? It's not right I say.

Arghh come on man!!! You're almost there... Push over the top and produce something special...There is still time!!!

I did get to be a little artistic while I had guests ... we played a game called Cranium, where you (amongst other things) draw and sculpt things your teammate has to guess :) ... so now, since your pushing me I have to put in another hour. Work's been crazy this last week so I've had no time for the fun stuff... :(

tilt
04-15-2010, 10:05 AM
okay.. now for the latest map - this is the underground dwarven city Narag Gatol. The part of the city depicted in the map is the part where the dwarves interact the most, both with other dwarves and within the community. Their marketplace is here, caved from a giant natural cave and here are also the halls and quaters for meeting and hosting diplomats, merchants and so forth. Further down we find the newest mines in the complex and a small harbour from where the dwarves can sail to the other side of the mountain with trading goods. The harbour is only ligthly fortified here, pretty much only by being able to seal it off from the complex - but there is a fortification at the exit of the mountain some miles away.
Roads leave from the map to living and working quarters for the dwarves.

### Latest WIP ###

Jaxilon
04-15-2010, 12:03 PM
That's pretty cool. I am glad you put in the spiral stairs. I was wondering how they got from level to level before. At least now I can rest easy knowing they don't have to jump over the side or something :)

I do wish I could see the whole complex. It reminds me of some of the old RPG game maps only this looks better than what you got back then, hehe.