PDA

View Full Version : Mark Handall

Sapiento
04-02-2010, 03:33 PM
For this map I tried to catch the style of existing medieval and renaissance maps.

Hand drawn (70 minutes), scanned, textured and labelled.

Ascension
04-02-2010, 03:43 PM
Dude, this is your best one yet, in my opinion, because it looks like something that is in fact 500 years old. Well done, bro.

Diamond
04-02-2010, 09:17 PM
I second that opinion and rep thee, Sap.

Coyotemax
04-03-2010, 12:07 AM
As a constructive point, i'll mention something that I got reminded of recently while working with a similar style - At least in the case of the Blaeu maps, the shading lines tend to follow the shape of the hill contours. I tend to do mine horizontal too, so you're not alone :P I think it would be easier (digitally) with an app that will let you rotate the canvas (photoshop cs4 won't work for me, argh), I have yet to try my hand at doing this on paper.

Hrm. maybe that's a good excuse for me to clear off the table and break out my pens!

Still nice work.

Sapiento
04-03-2010, 01:16 AM
Thank you guys!
@CM: Indeed, Blaeu followed the shape. But I've seen other maps, where the lines were made more or less straight, either diagonal or horizontal. So I think it was not a big issue. And take your pens! :)

tilt
04-03-2010, 02:40 AM
hmm.. are you practicing for a speed challenge? *lol* ... looks really good, the only thing out of "context" I would say is the compass - a handdrawn would have been better :)

Sapiento
04-03-2010, 02:46 AM
No training, really! ;) Just to measure how long I need for a certain result.
The comment about the compass has some weight. Have to consider it for the next map.