PDA

View Full Version : Praathamika WIP

silverhead
04-02-2010, 06:36 PM
Hi there!

This is what's been eating up my time in the last couple months. It's still far from complete, but good enough to be shown. I'm actually quite proud of how it turned up, mostly because I was about to wipe it from my hard drive a couple times out of frustration. That's your fault, you all, making awesome maps and humiliating wannabe artists ;-)

I'm posting three images: a big (3000x3000) one, and two (west and east) smaller ones. The map is not complete, and texts are in spanish, but you're pros and I'm sure you'll manage. The big white box with the name of the map and author info is just a hack: it occupies the space of a yet unfinished island :-)

I hope to work a bit more on it, but I wanted to show it so I can get some feedback. Please, be gentle, but do critique at will. It will hurt at first, but it'll be good in the long run.

Thanks in advance.

su_liam
04-02-2010, 08:19 PM
It's a nice map. Personally, I find the paper grain to be too prominent. It feels like hillshading, but without any relation to shorelines and such.

I accept no blame for humiliating anyone except myself. I do that quite well...

Greason Wolfe
04-02-2010, 08:32 PM
Have to agree with su_liam on the paper grain, but other than that, looks like you are off to a good start. It's nice to see maps that are straight forward like this, and I'll be looking forward to seeing more.

GW

Aenigma
04-02-2010, 08:53 PM
I love the overall design and flow of the map. The style of showing it (the angle etc) is also something I have not seen before... It's nice.

Ascension
04-02-2010, 10:12 PM
All I can say is maybe lighten up on the forest color, kind of dark. Otherwise, it looks like a fun thing so nice job.

Diamond
04-02-2010, 10:23 PM
I like it, apart from the forests and sea being a bit dark for my tastes. I really like the representations for all those cliffs/canyons/plateaus in the north - that looks cool. What do those squiggly black lines indicate? I don't think they're rivers since I see some of those in blue. Are they gorges or something?

silverhead
04-03-2010, 04:43 AM
Two interesting things you said:

It's a nice map. Personally, I find the paper grain to be too prominent. It feels like hillshading, but without any relation to shorelines and such.

Have to agree with su_liam on the paper grain

I have to think about this. It seems I tend to always overdo the textures, because the same comments were made about the last map I posted here. And ... I like that "bumpy" look! So while I agree that it might be too prominent, I'm a bit divided on the issue.

Anyway, thanks a lot. That's the kind of criticism I was looking for :-)

silverhead
04-03-2010, 05:21 AM
What do those squiggly black lines indicate? I don't think they're rivers since I see some of those in blue. Are they gorges or something?

They should be small cliffs, or just highlands. But seeing that it's not obvious, it seems that I have to do them better :-)

tilt
04-03-2010, 05:28 AM
I have to think about this. It seems I tend to always overdo the textures, because the same comments were made about the last map I posted here. And ... I like that "bumpy" look! So while I agree that it might be too prominent, I'm a bit divided on the issue.

I feel the same thing, the bulges in the paper distracts from the beautiful map - really good work. But in the end, its your map and your should do as you find best :) .... have a bit of rep :)

Laime
04-03-2010, 08:28 AM
I think the 'too much textures' effect is because the rest of the map is so vibrant... You have really bright, 'cartoony' colors, which look awesome in a clean-cut map that doesn't pretend to be drawn on paper. The paper texture just looks a bit alien under colors like that.

The map itself looks very interesting and well thought-out and the combination of symbols&font look great together.

silverhead
04-12-2010, 03:26 PM
I had all the text written and lost it because I forgot to hit the "Go advanced" button first. Bummer.

Anyway: hi there! :-)

This is my second "iteration" in Praathamika WIP. Like before, three images: big, east and west. About 1.5MB in total.

I had a few problems with this, and I'd like a little input. In particular, there are two that bother me the most:

- How do you make the text (of territories, rivers, landmarks, whatever) stand out without making a mess? I've tried to put a sort of white shadow around them, but the result is not very convincing. I feel that the answer is just "less is better", and that I should use smaller texts altogether, but maybe you have another opinion.
- I use Gimp, and adjusting a text along a path is a real PITA. Or maybe it's just me. What I do now is the following sequence: draw a path, write a text, make text follow a path, turn path into selection, paint the selection black, remove path and text. Quite convoluted. Am I doing it wrong?

As usual, criticisms and suggestions very welcome. Thanks in advance :-)

RobA
04-12-2010, 03:34 PM
- I use Gimp, and adjusting a text along a path is a real PITA. Or maybe it's just me. What I do now is the following sequence: draw a path, write a text, make text follow a path, turn path into selection, paint the selection black, remove path and text. Quite convoluted. Am I doing it wrong?

That is the crappy process. Sorry ;) Most of the Gimp users here have added Inkscape to their toolset for adding text... Much better.

-Rob A>

silverhead
04-12-2010, 06:41 PM
That is the crappy process. Sorry ;) Most of the Gimp users here have added Inkscape to their toolset for adding text... Much better.

And what would be the process? Import the resulting texts as a PNG into a layer in Gimp? IIRC, Gimp can read SVG too, but I've not tested it and I don't know if it'd work.

RobA
04-12-2010, 06:48 PM
And what would be the process? Import the resulting texts as a PNG into a layer in Gimp? IIRC, Gimp can read SVG too, but I've not tested it and I don't know if it'd work.

I usually bring an unlabeled map into Inkscape as a png file. I then create a new layer in Inkscape for each tipe of labelling (area, city, river, etc) as well as roads and icons, comass rose, etc. I then export out each layer (with the others turned off) as transparent png's and import them into gimp as layers, then add effects. Optionally effects (drop shadow/glows, etc.) could be done in inkscape but I find the filter support still not quite there.

While I have not made a map in a style similar to yours, It should work fine.
-Rob A>