PDA

View Full Version : *** April 2010 Challenge - Brewhome ***

Ascension
04-03-2010, 11:23 PM
Boran Coalbeard's Gazetteer of Beers, Ales, and Brewed Beverages

This month's Challenge will be to create a map for a fictional fantasy world. Flesh-out, in detail, at least one continent and have some other continents at least sketched out. The theme here revolves around beer - sweet nectar from the gods. There should at least be humans, elves, ogres, and dwarves...others are up to the creator. The sponsor is looking more for ideas than a finished product but if you choose to polish it off then have fun but more on that later. There needs to be at least 13 interesting places to travel to...be they ruins, towns, or whatever but here are the required ones:

Dwarves
The dwarves have at least one major city called Heimmaerr and they brew English-style brews: Braggot, Barleywine, English Bitter, Porter, Stout, Oatmeal Stout, Old Ale, Imperial Stout, Winter Warmer.
They also have some dwarven holds (cave clan-forts) named Thorsgrimm and Hallowdwelf.
They also have Burdisson Brewery which is a giant brewery/hold belonging to one clan. You can read more on that here (http://playinitcool.deviantart.com/art/Burdisson-s-Bolder-Beer-153190132).

Humans
Humans have at least one major port city and many smaller towns. They brew American-style brews like Amber, Red, and Brown Ales, IPA, Pale Ale, Pumpkin Ale.

Elves
Elves should have a small city where they are known for their Honey Mead.

Ogres
Ogres will be more primitive tribes scattered around the land rather than big, mean, nasty baby-eaters. Barbaric, uneducated, superstitious warriors. No particular beer style has been selected yet.

Any other places and names are up to your imagination.

------------------------------------------------------------------

The winner will receive $50 US and possibly a lucrative commission to do the finished map but that will be for PlayinItCool to decide at a later time and will be discussed privately. The style should be medieval, hand-drawn, or antique...nothing modern, sci-fi, or satellite-style but shaded relief might be able to be worked in somehow by a good artist.

Any questions will be answered by PlayinItCool, the sponsor of the Challenge, or by the Community Leaders for technical issues. The sponsor's website is here (http://www.fantasybrewmasters.com/).

PlayinitCool
04-06-2010, 12:45 PM
Hey everyone! Just wanted to drop a line and say hi... we're very excited about this challenge, and can't wait to see your ideas!

The book itself will be an authentic gazetteer. It will be based in a fantasy setting, but will be edited and published as if it were a professional piece from that world. To build on the characters, we are presenting it as Boran's personal copy which contains many of his notes stuffed in the sidelines, and inserts throughout the book.

Here's a little something to set the tone of what we're looking for:
Boran Coalbeard, renowned Dwarven beer connoisseur, is taking a beer odyssey, traveling to areas not previously explored, interested to see how far his renown actually stretches. The beers he plans to write about in his Gazetteer are limited to a region of the "main" continent of the world, and his goal is to visit the brewery homes of some of the land's most interesting and famous beers, giving readers of the book a unique look at the people, ingredients, and brewing techniques employed to make the most popular beers and brews in the world. Boran's renown at this point is far stretching, and he hopes the gazetteer will serve to strengthen his position as the premier beer to date.

Coyotemax
04-07-2010, 09:54 AM
This is one of the niftiest challenges to date, and I look forward to seeing the entries! (and thanks to Fantasy brewmasters, you've got the coolest marketing I've seen in awhile). I was worked up over this one, and I've got ideas brewing (hah, pun!) but I may not be able to enter in time.. this week is loaded down with things that need to be done, and the wife sprung a surprise vacation on me, so I'll have less then 2 weeks to work on it if I do start, plus there's other work waiting for me when I get back. So there's still hope, though if I do enter, it will be a late one.

Good luck to everyone who's throwing their hat in!

ravells
04-07-2010, 10:52 AM
I agree, it's a great marketing programme and fun too.

PlayinitCool
04-07-2010, 02:06 PM
:)

New this week is the story of The Stout Lady's Secret (http://armorydave.deviantart.com/art/The-Stout-Lady-s-Secret-159661546). In it, we introduce a new city that could be incorporated into the map. For now, it is called Boars Head, though we're not sure if that will stick or not :?: I like the name, but it makes me hungry ;)

While many of the details that Dave has provided for Boars Head will not be evident at the mapping level we are currently working on, it might still be a helpful for the big picture.

While we're at it, here is a link to the "official" pieces of Boran's Gazetteer. (http://fantasy-brewmasters.deviantart.com/gallery/24409348) Anything found there will eventually be a part of, or suppliment the book.

Gamerprinter
04-12-2010, 02:22 AM
Well it looks like you guys are free from me entering the challenge (and maybe the rest of the year) - I was giving thought to entering, but I'm way too busy now.

Gamer Printshop business has quadrupaled just this month alone. My publishing project with Johnn Four and Mike Bourke is in full swing and I'm doing more than maps, I'm writing articles some of which will be included in the publication, some of it as free extra material through blogs, bonus free content, etc. I just learned our first product will have an intro by either Monte Cook or Wolfgang Baur (though that's still up in the air.) We'll be creating new products each month. So it looks like my professional cartography/publishing aspects are taking all my time. It looks like 2010 is my year!

Good luck everybody - I can't wait for the vote on this one!

GP

PlayinitCool
04-12-2010, 07:24 AM
GP, it's so exciting when you see things come together like that... congrats man!

torstan
04-12-2010, 08:19 AM
That's fantastic news GP. Congratulations!

Djekspek
04-12-2010, 12:25 PM
Aye, great to hear the publishing project is comming together GP. So gratz! cheers

Jaxilon
04-16-2010, 02:19 AM
Yes, Congrats GP, be sure to keep us posted in the news section or something. Glad to hear you are headed into exciting times!

misteradam
04-19-2010, 11:51 AM
great news GP, I am happy for you!

PlayinitCool
04-19-2010, 01:06 PM
Hey all, I just wanted to say, we're having a blast watching this challenge come together! So many great ideas and so much talent! Really stoked to see so many entries and different angles of approach. Keep up the great work =D

tilt
04-19-2010, 03:08 PM
congrats GP - that so cool to make ones hobby ones profession :)

RobA
04-22-2010, 03:42 PM
Updated the thumbnails... They should be up to date now...

-Rob A>

Ascension
04-25-2010, 07:56 PM
I'll end the challenge on or about Thursday or Friday...unless the entrants want me to end it sooner. Friday at the latest. I'll openly admit that this is completely self-serving in that my muse showed up today, gave me some ideas, and has me working :) Since I'm wanting max time to finish everyone gets max time to finish. So there :lol:

Immolate
04-25-2010, 08:34 PM
I'm okay with whatever, although today is the last day of my current class and I'll have the next two weeks to goof off until the next one starts :)

What I suggest to the powers that be, however, is that you decide on a formula and stick to it. Something like... publish each new challenge on the first of the month, or the fifth, or the first Monday, with voting for the previous contest to start five days prior and end at midnight gmt the night before the new challenge begins. For those of us who regularly participate, it helps to know what's what, and to know that we won't have short months and long ones.

If I were the poor shmuck in charge, I'd start each contest on the first of the month and end the last one the previous day. That would give challenge participants the entire month to work on their entry. Voters would have until the fifth of the month to cast their vote.

It isn't that I think that my arbitrary timeframes are better than anyone elses arbitrary timeframes. I don't. I believe in engineering any system to work as simply as possible. If people only need to remember one date, you can't really reduce the complexity further than that.

And while I was at it, I'd fix our busted featured maps system, which hasn't offered us a new masterpiece in over four months. :) I think we should be able to find one worthy piece of the many maps produced each month to honor with the award. Perhaps everyone is busy or maybe our system isn't working correctly... I don't know. If you need more help, I can suggest a couple of people at least who would make excellent community leaders or who would probably accept the duty without any special status.

For this month, any day that isn't May seems fair enough to me to end the challenge.

Ascension
04-25-2010, 11:43 PM
Well, we try to start each challenge on the first of the month and end it on the last day of the month. Sometimes we get busy, sometimes we get lazy, and sometimes we think that someone else is doing it only they have something come up. Poor Torstan, no one has done a lite challenge but him since we wrangled him in. I was going to run it but totally forgot that I volunteered. And yes, there's a lot of us who haven't been pulling our weight. Steel has extra work at work, Gand moved to a new house, RP and Red are finishing up college, YodA has new responsibilities, Steel and Neon pretty much run the welcome wagon, and we all chip in to help with questions n such. I did the last feature map and we had one picked out for the next one but no one ever got around to it. Tor, Ravs, or I will get to it...sooner or later :oops: So while we could take on more CLs then we might end up with too many and then we'd really get lazy. Thanks for gettin on us Imm :) But be careful or we'll wrangle you in and dump it all on you as well ;)

Immolate
04-26-2010, 12:38 AM
This is my community, so I'll serve if asked, but I'm sure there are better members than me for the job. I do understand the desire to not over-populate the leader ranks. Nobody should know better than yous guys whether you have the staff to get the job done.

Steel General
04-26-2010, 06:46 AM
While I can definitely use the extra time to finish my entry, I'm still not sure if I'll get it done :P

Things are quieting down a bit at work for me (for now at least), but we'll be going through a big change again at the beginning of July, so I'm still kind of keeping my CL involvement to a minimum for now.

misteradam
04-26-2010, 11:42 AM
anyone know why my thread was deleted? Not sure if I unwittingly broke a contest rule and was disqualified or if it is some type of forum glitch.

torstan
04-26-2010, 11:44 AM
Nope. There was a forum glitch over the weekend. We lost a day or so of posts. It's getting back to normal now.

Ascension
04-29-2010, 08:55 PM
There may be more glitches to come over the weekend so I'll have to wait until that gets sorted out to close the challenge. So for those of you needing more time consider yourselves lucky :) Hopefully we can get on with it by Monday or Tuesday. At that time someone will also be posting up the next challenge.

Steel General
04-30-2010, 08:47 AM
There may be more glitches to come over the weekend so I'll have to wait until that gets sorted out to close the challenge. So for those of you needing more time consider yourselves lucky :) .

Well maybe I'll just color myself green and change my name to Shamrock! :D

Ascension
05-03-2010, 12:04 AM
I'll be closing this tomorrow night sometime, in the evening before midnight.

RobA
05-03-2010, 06:56 PM
Good luck all. Make sure you latest WIP is updated and tagged appropriately!

-Rob A>

Greason Wolfe
05-03-2010, 07:22 PM
I'll echo what Rob A said and would like to add that this is going to be a rrrreeeeaaaalllllyyyyy tough round of voting. All the entries are great this time round, and I'll be darned if I can pick a favorite at the moment.

GW

Redrobes
05-07-2010, 04:38 PM
Ohh this (http://www.myjones.com/limited/wizards) is very topical. Close but not quite what were dealing with but fun all the same.

:)