PDA

View Full Version : Large Temple Complex

psyekl
04-05-2010, 02:40 AM
Some of you may recall the large temple I posted a while back; well I'm finally pretty much completed with the ground floor (minus any labels). Since I'm planning on offering this map for sale I can't post any high-quality images, but it's clear enough to get the idea across. The plan is drawn using AutoCAD though I plan on adding some hand-drawn embellishments along with some Photoshop treatment.

The complex boasts its own militia/guard complete with their own keep, barracks and training grounds; I designed it to have considerable security since a temple of such importance will have plenty of rare and valuable artifacts under its care. There are several large kitchens to feed not only all of the clerics, monks, acolytes, soldiers, servants, etc but also all of the peasants and pilgrims that are always present. There are stables and a carriage house, warehouses and grain silos for tithes, cloisters for the priests and monks, agricultural areas, running water feeding several fountains, multiple shrines and smaller temples, classrooms, a huge conference chamber, libraries and even a private garden area for the VIPs and important guests. I made sure to include garderobes complete with the drains mapped out for those more daring (and diminutive) thieves...

The finished product will include the catacomb/basement levels and a few upper stories along with complete descriptions.

As always, I'm open to constructive criticism and suggestions. :)

tilt
04-05-2010, 07:56 AM
that looks really good, a very nice look you've got there. I'll throw some rep in your direction :)

ravells
04-05-2010, 10:25 AM
That's terrific! No crits from me, just lots of praise!! I've snaffled a copy for my reference folder. Have some rep!

torstan
04-05-2010, 11:21 AM
This is a huge complex - I love the simple clean style too. Well done!

thebax2k
04-05-2010, 12:41 PM
Excellent map Psyekl. I look forward to seeing the finished product. Hopefully you'll do the same with the Dwarven Keep complex one day.

Steel General
04-05-2010, 04:12 PM
Cool stuff, thx for posting.

psyekl
04-05-2010, 09:12 PM
Hopefully you'll do the same with the Dwarven Keep complex one day.

That's definitely in the plan. I have a few castles that deserve the same attention, the Dwarven complex included. I wanted to finish this temple map first because it holds a special place in my heart; It was originally drawn by my brother as a very simple shape on a piece of graph paper and has (obviously) ballooned into something neither of us could have anticipated.

Katto
05-11-2010, 12:34 PM
I should look more often into this section, I have nearly missed this wonderful temple complex. Fantastic work, hope to see the finished map soon.

arsheesh
05-11-2010, 01:02 PM
Wow, that is complex! Nicely laid out. I am impressed. Have some rep.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Amazon.chique
05-12-2010, 08:45 PM
Oooo... I really love the layout here. Would you care to share how you laid everything out? That's an area I'm still wrestling with.

Davros01
05-16-2010, 09:17 AM
very nice ineeed!!!!!

psyekl
05-20-2010, 01:13 AM
Would you care to share how you laid everything out? That's an area I'm still wrestling with.

I've given this a lot of thought and have been trying to find a way to describe my methods without writing a book: The short, unhelpful answer would be "experience"; I've been a draftsman since the mid-80's and have picked up a lot of techniques that help dictate room layout. It's mostly ingrained habit and I often do it without conciously going through a list of steps. Here are the most obvious that come to mind:

- SEEK EXAMPLES: I always try to look up examples of structures that are related or relevant to the design I'm considering.
- CULTURE: If the design is going to be for another culture or for another era of history (or fictional equivilent) I research the nuances of everyday life of the culture that most fits the purpose of the design.
- PUBLIC VS PRIVATE: Identify public and private spaces and locate them accordingly. Be aware that these ideals change through location and history, which is why I research culture.
- TRAFFIC: Identify how the people get from one place to another within the design. Make sure the traffic pattern makes sense.
- INHABITANTS: Who lives and works there? I didn't just think of the monks and clerics at the temple, I also considered all of the beggars, pilgrims, servants, security, merchants, etc that would be there as well.
- NECESSITIES: Make sure to keep in mind the basic requirements for life: Food, water, shelter, safety and sanitation. That's not to say that they need to all be included, just make sure you're aware of them.

Well, that's the down-and-dirty basics that I use. A bit general I know, but I hope it helps.

Amazon.chique
06-03-2010, 05:22 PM
That actually does help. Thank you.