PDA

View Full Version : Experimental Subterranean Styles

muddle
04-06-2010, 04:12 PM
All,
I have been muddling around again... this time with subterranean dungeon map experiments. I have uploaded two examples of stylistic variation on the same basic room map. One involves lots of photoshop bevels and drop shadows for a 3-d effect. the other is intentionally simple stark and flat, and supposed to be more like an "illustration" than a birdseye view photo.

I would love to hear which one of these two styles people prefer. I am a bit on the fence right now between them.

Ascension
04-06-2010, 04:22 PM
The one on the right would be easier on ink usage as it stands right now. If the black n white was reversed, black lines, then it would easier on ink. From an aesthetic point of view, that is up to the viewer but I like the stylized one over the simple one.

muddle
04-06-2010, 07:21 PM
I certainly agree about the ink usage. I am not to concerned about that cost, as I was more interested in using these maps on screen rather than on paper. I do like to get others points of view, even their subjective or aesthetic views. The "simple one" is intentionally inverted or reversed in colors. Typically a "hand-drawn" map would have black outlines for walls and white/lighter areas for open floors. There was an interesting map in the booklet found in one of the "god of war" video games that used this sort of reversed colors. I think they were basing the style off a form a decoration found on old greek/roman pottery. (white outlines that surround solid black or dark colored figures) Anyway I thought the reversed colors looked rather "dark and ominous" That's kinda what i was thinking anyway.

Ascension
04-06-2010, 11:34 PM
Ah, well then, yep. Mission accomplished :)

muddle
04-10-2010, 06:29 PM
I have continued to experiment with the same basic dungeon room layout, and I an trying to combine the two previous styles into one. Here is what I have come up with so far. To my eye this is starting to look better... anyone care to share their thoughts?

muddle
04-11-2010, 06:23 PM
Ok, another stylistic experiment... I definitely think this one is the best by far. Now to make a mega-dungeon using this style!

Ascension
04-11-2010, 11:00 PM
The dark one looks cool. The orange one looks like it's really hot there.

muddle
04-12-2010, 09:01 AM
lol, yep I'm starting a new company... Muddle's Rather Toasty Subterranean Real Estate Inc. We have special deals on underground lairs over 150 degrees... ; )

someguy
04-22-2010, 02:32 AM
Ok, another stylistic experiment... I definitely think this one is the best by far. Now to make a mega-dungeon using this style!

Its a temple of the fire goddess!

Salathor
05-24-2010, 12:08 AM
All are great. I would say that my personal favorite was the black-on-white one. I thought that was rather interesting. I loved the reversed colors. What did you use to make it?

tilt
05-24-2010, 02:45 AM
Number 3 is my favorite - but also like the red/orange one, it instantly brought my thought to desert dungeons :)

Xorne
06-07-2010, 02:22 PM
I like the base-relief one as a player handout for sure--but I don't know that it would pop for me in VTT/Screen usage. I think the lack of printing costs needs to be badly abused in that scenario. The white one I liked the best, but damn that's bright. LOL

steelstiletto
06-22-2010, 04:11 AM
Wow, I'm a big fan of the orange one. Any chance you could put up a tutorial on how you are doing it? I've only used CC3 a bit, but I have a friend who gave me his old laptop with CS4 on it, so I would like to learn how to use it for map making.

muddle
06-22-2010, 08:07 AM
Initial black and white drawing was created in Adobe Illustrator (vector graphics) then imported into photoshop into separate layers ( walls were separated from floor, etc.) layer styles and image manipulation was added to layers in photoshop. Luckily i have access to very inexpensive printing so I am less concerned with printing costs.