PDA

View Full Version : Land of Arvorn

Yandor
04-07-2010, 12:08 AM
Hey just messing around with some techniques and following some random tutorials I've collected over the years... I went off Tear's Tutorial of Saderan for a few things so thanks for that! But this was just a run through of getting a base continent and some basic elements together and see how they look. This is pretty much an experiment to see if the elements fit and to get the basic procedure down.

Critique please!! I want to know what works, what doesn't, what could be added to make this better, I'm going to stick in some Icons, but would rivers be worth putting in at this scale!? or what?

Aenigma
04-07-2010, 03:00 AM
Nicely done. though i must point out that it kind of seems that the land-mass "floats" above the water. I'm not really sure about what makes me feel that way, maybe it's something about the border between the water and the land.

It's still a nice map though :P Nice choice of colours.

Katto
04-07-2010, 03:55 AM
Nice map. Perhaps you could add a scale, so that we get a feeling of the size.

Kodiak
04-07-2010, 09:33 AM
Really love the shape of the continents, and the terrain looks great as well. For the same reason as Aenigma pointed out, I think it looks like the land is above the water as well. Maybe blur or make the coast line a more neutral colour?

Yandor
04-07-2010, 11:16 AM
Hey thanks for the input, I'll mess with the shorelines a bit, I actually did it on purpose I guess, with the ocean relief I added in, and your right the stroke path around the continents doesn't help the floating either. So I'll mess with it a bit more and probably stick in a shelf. Thanks guys!

ravells
04-07-2010, 11:36 AM
Looks great although the scaling of the mountains is kind of weird on the eye. Maybe thinner mountain ranges might look better?

Yandor
04-07-2010, 01:43 PM
Hey so I messed with the whole floating business, also edited a few other small things, I can't determine if I like the "lake" Border but I was trying to find something that could bring out the little lakes more than anything...

Looks great although the scaling of the mountains is kind of weird on the eye. Maybe thinner mountain ranges might look better?

You hit it on the nose Ravells, I was wondering what seemed "off" and when you said it I realized your right and thats what needs adjusting, so thats my next endeavor Thanks!

First one is Without the Lake Border
Second one is WITH the Lake Border

Yandor
04-08-2010, 04:15 PM
So I've decided to try and take a stab at different elements to see how they fit with this style of map, and here is a sample piece, opinions please!!!

Dark Forest = Jungle
Light Forest = Normal/Temperate Forests

Also theres the bluish color on the bottom left I think works as a marsh?? And I applied a little bit of foothills around the mountains, so please tell me if they do represent what I think they might or any other ideas please!!

oops, forgot the Volcano!

Meridok
04-08-2010, 06:23 PM
Looking at the original (starting) map, I kinda think it might be the combination of the outline around the continents + the bumpmapping of the ocean that makes it look kinda like its floating. And looking at the updated versions now, I think the first of the two looks much better than the second (and the original). I like what you did with the water.

I think the dark forest for jungle/light for temperate looks great. I'm a little iffy on the marsh - the blue looks odd, somehow. And the lava on the volcano, seems to bright in the lower-down parts, if that makes sense. Great map!

Yandor
04-09-2010, 02:45 AM
Meridok Thanks for the info!! I adjusted as you said, so thanks, Arvorn I didn't really like for whatever reason, so I had started on a newer larger map (which I absolutely like 100 times more than Arvorn map, but anyways heres the new Arvorn which for whatever reason I named Kalrum... Meh, it all works but heres the full map so far

I'll more than likely be adding rivers, and City Icons here soon, please comment, I want to know how I can make it better!

The only thing I can still see thats still persistent in my maps like this is the scaling of the mountains to the size of the continent, but other than that (and maybe its not an issue....) let me know!

Meridok
04-10-2010, 12:47 PM
You're welcome!

I love these islands! The coastlines make me happy. xP As does the colour for the desert(? or savannah?). And that volcano does look better to me. Can't help with the mountains or rivers, I'm afraid. :)

jwbjerk
04-10-2010, 01:01 PM
The rendering style of mountains, forest, jungles etc. is quite nice.

I don't know how much you are interested in the realistic climate, but the placement of your deserts looks arbitrary.

You are right that deserts often occur on one side of mountains, but it's more specific than that... they occur when the mountains block the prevailing wind, causing it to dump on the rain on one side leaving now moisture in the clouds to rain on the other side-- until the winds have a chance to pass over the ocean, or large lakes/seas and pick up moisture from evaporation.

So there it is if you care about those details.

Yandor
04-10-2010, 02:31 PM
Thanks you guys for the feed back, And Jwbjerk as I was looking to fix/add too the map, I zoomed way out (kind of like the clipped image in the forums) and realized exactly what your saying, but had no idea how to go about adjusting it, and with what your saying really helps in the thought process, cause I was leaning toward adding in "wind direction" and High and low pressure areas or something to that effect, so I'll see what I can cook up. I may also do a tutorial for all this, cause its fairly simple! But thanks!

Also if its not too much to ask, which specifically would be not typical deserts? and maybe even areas where there should be deserts? If anything a quick reference would be great!

jwbjerk
04-10-2010, 07:45 PM
Thanks you guys for the feed back, And Jwbjerk as I was looking to fix/add too the map, I zoomed way out (kind of like the clipped image in the forums) and realized exactly what your saying, but had no idea how to go about adjusting it, and with what your saying really helps in the thought process, cause I was leaning toward adding in "wind direction" and High and low pressure areas or something to that effect, so I'll see what I can cook up. I may also do a tutorial for all this, cause its fairly simple! But thanks!
I don't know if there are better tutorials on this site (if they are here they don't have the word "climate" in the title), but this is the most useful thing (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?9937-Wind-and-Ocean-Currents&p=107675&viewfull=1#post107675) i've ever found for working out climates, temperature, wind, rain etc. It may be more detail than you want, but there it is for what it's worth.

Also if its not too much to ask, which specifically would be not typical deserts? and maybe even areas where there should be deserts? If anything a quick reference would be great!
It's kind of tricky since i don't know where your wind is supposed to be coming from, but for instance the two deserts on the far right, I can't conceive of a prevailing wind that would miss only those two spots, while watering the surrounding green, and the triangle area surrounded by mountains.

Yandor
04-12-2010, 06:57 PM
Well finished it off, jwbjerk Thanks for all the input, I'm going to use that climate book for my next one... wasn't in the mood to redraw it all =D but thanks!

Anyways heres the link to the final picture!

Final Version (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?9967-World-of-Karlum&p=107894#post107894)