PDA

View Full Version : Aquatic Fortress

Jaxilon
04-07-2010, 02:44 AM
Ok, well, I squeezed some time out and got a little something put together. I still have plans to do some more floor plans as well as labels but we'll have to see how far I can get based on how much time I have.

FYI, I brainstormed on this for a while before I could do anything about it and I think it's oddness is fun. Feel free to share your thoughts on what I can do better. I'm still frustrated by not having a tablet. I do not like drawing with my mouse.

Oh...these were first drawn by hand in my sketch pad. I then used my digital camera to import them into Gimp. For much of it I redrew the lines and whatnot by mouse.

err....I may have forgotten how to add my images correctly :shock:

### Latest WIP ###

Daelin
04-07-2010, 07:41 AM
Is that an axe for a figurehead?
I'm wondering, could it be the design itself that caused the fleet to "vanish"? :P

Xyll
04-07-2010, 12:08 PM
Nice start. Love the boat design.

But don't you know dwarves do not float :)

Jaxilon
04-07-2010, 12:11 PM
In fact it is "The Splitter" which is mounted on an axle such that it can be raised and lowered at the proper time to split an enemy ship while ramming. You may be correct in your assessment as well. I am all for my Dwarves going to Sea, but in this early endeavor they had a lot of the old ways to change before they were truly ready.

I may actually use this idea as an adventure seed in my Campaign world: "The lost fleet".

Jaxilon
04-07-2010, 12:19 PM
@xyll - I know, it is on the ridiculous side but knowing the stubbornness of Dwarves, I figure it takes a bit to prove it to themselves. Then again who knows? R.A. Salvatore had a Dwarf who wanted to be a druid in the Cleric's Quintet. Humans aren't the only ones capable of having a flight of fancy. Hey, that gives me another idea...:twisted:

Jaxilon
04-07-2010, 02:22 PM
Tossed in some scale for reference.

### Latest WIP ###

euio
04-07-2010, 02:31 PM
Very nice. I'm curious as to where this'll go.

rdanhenry
04-11-2010, 03:26 AM
Nifty design, there. You have an apostrophe in "it's" where it should not be and are missing an "n" from "hu[n]dred". Also, it should be "Seven ship led" rather than "lead". You might want to enlarge the scale a bit. I missed the decimal in the length the first time I checked the scale and thought it was out to hunt aircraft carriers.

Jaxilon
04-11-2010, 04:05 AM
Nifty design, there. You have an apostrophe in "it's" where it should not be and are missing an "n" from "hu[n]dred". Also, it should be "Seven ship led" rather than "lead". You might want to enlarge the scale a bit. I missed the decimal in the length the first time I checked the scale and thought it was out to hunt aircraft carriers.

LOL regarding aircraft carriers and I will see what I can do to make that more readable...maybe I can loose the .5 altogether with a little shaving off the end.
Also, thank you for the proof read. I'm usually more careful but it must have been like 3am when I cobbled that together so anything could happen.

I'm curious as to where this'll go.
Hehe, probably the bottom of the Sea!

I really need to get into the lower decks but all I managed to do was go back and forth on the coloring. Here are 3 versions and as soon as I can decide I hope to get the rest of the levels done. I may still juggle this all around differently on the page but this gives the idea.

Input appreciated.

euio
04-11-2010, 05:10 PM
The third one looks best.

Jaxilon
04-13-2010, 05:50 AM
Ok, got some more done on this tonight. It is going to be close to get this done and as usual I'll probably still want to make changes right up to the end.

Advice is welcome even at this late point :)

### Latest WIP ###

Raskat
04-13-2010, 06:00 AM
wonderful :D

arsheesh
04-13-2010, 02:53 PM
What a novel and exciting idea! A floating Dwarven stronghold, now that's cool. I also really like the "stumpiness" of this ship, it certainly seems like the kind of vessel Dwarves would construct if they were in the ship-building industry. Great job Jaxilon. Repped.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Jaxilon
04-13-2010, 06:05 PM
Thanks guys. I did try to think like a Dwarf and go "blocky" or "stumpy" as you put it. I am pleased to hear that it came across as intended.

Hopefully tonight I can finish this up. I doubt I will get the border I want mostly because I don't have a good way to draw the Sea Serpents I visualize (if my wife doesn't know what to get me for our anniversary I may have to have her head examined :) ). Drawing with a mouse just sucks or at least it does for me. At least I'm still having fun.

euio
04-13-2010, 06:07 PM
I love it!

A R Frost
04-13-2010, 06:22 PM
Very nice Jaxilion.
The reason no one has seen them is because along their journey through the seas, they stumbled across the Kor-Tribrene Islands and founded the Isle Kingdom of Kor-Tribrene. There are at least a dozen Aquatic Fortress sailing around the Isles at any given time. Except they modified the hulls with a rare elephant skin. It gives the Aquatic Fortress's a fiercer appearance as their sailing towards you.

All kidding aside, great idea and really love the feel of your map/blue print of the Aquatic Fortress.
The Aquatic Fortress has just became the official sailing vessel for the dwarfs of the Isle Kingdom of Kor-Tribrene.

Jaxilon
04-13-2010, 06:41 PM
Awesome, I know this is definitely going into my campaign world that I run. They haven't got much into Dwarven society yet but this will be fun to include. I like the idea of another kingdom being founded by these stalwart sailors. It would create an entirely new twist to the typical history of Dwarfkind. I'll have to think about mounting a couple tusks up on the bow instead of that silly axe :)

rdanhenry
04-13-2010, 08:16 PM
If they have cannon, I'd mount one that fired forward instead of clumsy close-up weapons. I wouldn't even bother with a ramming device on the prow; this ship is not going to be quick and responsive enough to make ramming attacks practical. It might have boarding devices for coming alongside an enemy and fighting hand-to-hand to capture another ship.

Jaxilon
04-13-2010, 08:34 PM
I know I haven't really done any labeling on the side and top views of the main ship (not sure if I should) but you may notice what looks like a drawbridge on either side of the "fort" portion, that is for boarding or whatever. Originally I saw large Crossbow like weapons mounted on top along the walls and bow of the ship. I may or may not get around to drawing those up however. I was thinking they might even be portable, in that several Dwarves could break one down and move it to another location, even off the ship if needed; ala a modern day Machine gun turret type deal.

As you mentioned, the thought momentarily crossed my mind regarding cannons facing fore and aft but I figured I may not get to everything before the deadline so I will just have to take care of what needs the most attention. If I can get around to it, I'll see if I can incorporate more of that stuff. Forward cannons would be sweet.

As far as the ramming device on the prow that to me smacks of Dwarf logic as much as anything about Dwarves going to sea. I'm convinced in my mind that they will loose it once they have some experience but this was their first foray into shipbuilding according to my records. For this particular model I think I will leave it. Did you realize that it is able to be raised up triggered to come swinging down chopping enemies like kindling? Hahaha, more Dwarf Ship logic there. It makes me laugh when I think about it. There has to be some use for such a device even if it never worked as intended...I mean what's better than a mechanical smashing Axe on the front of a ship? LOL

Jaxilon
04-14-2010, 01:51 AM
Ok, I think I finished this for all the basics. If I'm missing anything blatant please let me know and I'll see what I can do about it. I can think of a bunch of little things I would like to add in but won't have time for.

### Latest WIP ###

euio
04-14-2010, 04:02 AM
Very nice. The colours for the first two views are just perfect, and the initial in the text looks good.

I don't see anything missing.

Jaxilon
04-14-2010, 04:58 AM
Ok, so based on what you said, or didn't say, I wondered how it would look if I just darkened up the levels of the ship :)

Originally I wanted a weathered looking parchment so wanted some of the fade but I'm not sure now so let's see...

Here is a side by side comparison. This first is the original, the second has the lower decks darkened.

edit: After looking at it the only real difference is that the lower decks are a lot more black. The original has a more brown tint to the ink. I'm not sure that it makes much difference to me but then I've stared at it too long already.

euio
04-14-2010, 06:16 AM
I like the idea of darkening, but the lines end look pixelated.

Jaxilon
04-14-2010, 04:43 PM
Ok, I went ahead and darkened up the lower levels. I think I saw and fixed what you were saying about pixelation and fixed that but if not feel free to point me in the right direction. My eyesight isn't what it once was.

This may be my final update as I have more work I have to get done today.

### Latest WIP ###

A R Frost
04-14-2010, 06:02 PM
Like it a lot!!!
The only thing I would change is for the role-playing part. Not sure if I was the Captain, I would be wanting a brig right next to my quarters. Last thing I want to hear after a long day at sea is some cry-baby human begging for his life all dang night.

My twisted sense of humor has been wondering what the dwarfs on this ship would be like if they where aboriginal dwarfs, since my Assault Fortress's will have an elephant skinned hull with massive elephant tusks adorning the deck. lol Can see it now in my head. Aboriginal dwarfs wearing grass skirts and using spears, with a huge steam powered boat sailing the high seas looking for conquest. Think they would win a good number of their sea battles just because the other sailing fleets would be too amazed to defend themselves.

Allan

Jaxilon
04-14-2010, 06:26 PM
I have to admit that when I put the brig there I did think about the Captain and First mate quarters being right next to them and how that might be a problem...if I get time I will see if I can find a solution to that. Maybe I can swap the Brig with the Navigator's rooms.

On second thought that doesn't work because the Brig is an odd shaped room due to the Tube traps passing through it. To be honest the Captain will likely spend much of his time at the helm and they are not likely to have a lot of prisoners anyway....anyone who makes too much noise will probably just walk the plank beneath the moon at midnight :)

A R Frost
04-14-2010, 06:49 PM
Sounds like a good plan. The brig's are probably used for drunken dwarven sailors that have dipped a little to deep into the ale barrels. Aboriginal dwarfs on the other hand would never let a free meal walk the plank. No matter what type of light was shinning outside.

Jaxilon
04-14-2010, 07:06 PM
You keep making me laugh when I imagine these dwarfs dressed in grass skirts. You are probably most correct regarding the drunken dwarves as well.