PDA

View Full Version : Hills and waterfalls in CD3?

snuggums
04-07-2010, 12:19 PM
Hello! Am building a city where I was planning to have one part of the town elevated by a hill (Sort of like the town of Fallcrest from the DnD 4th ed DM guide book) and then have a river run through it. I've been fiddling with different layers and effects but I really don't seem to be able to get it right. Any tip or tutorial available on how to make a hill/make the ground look elevated an then a waterfall down that hill?

Gamerprinter
04-07-2010, 12:59 PM
Not a user of CD3, but I know Gandwarf is and when he was trying to do this he could not do it within CD3 either, he ended up exporting the file to a JPG, then using Photoshop or GIMP to create the "elevated" look to achieve hills - I'm sure it could be just as easily done to create cliffs with waterfalls as well. I forget the name of the term, "bump map" maybe, create a copy of the map as a separate layer, done in grey scale then painting hills and valleys using the dodge and burn tool (white is high elevation and black is low elevation.)

I am sure that CD3 is not capable of doing that alone. You have to combine using multiple apps to achieve this.

Some one may be able to give you a more precise answer. I don't use GIMP or PS much beyond tweaking images, I use Xara Xtreme for all my mapping and can achieve what I need in there.

Final answer, you need to create the elevated illusion using an image editing program - you can't do this in CD3.

Hope that helps.

GP

Edit: here is a link to Gandwarf's city maps, to see it done effectively to CD3 maps. http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?2991-More-cities-(City-Designer-3)&highlight=Gandwarf+City+maps

Here is one tutorial on doing this in GIMP:
http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?8640-Creating-Depths-and-Heights-in-GIMP&highlight=dodge+burn

Katto
04-07-2010, 01:58 PM
I agree with GP and I also remember the "Oakvale" map from mox404. It was a mix of CD3 and PS. Perhaps it inspires you.

snuggums
04-07-2010, 02:10 PM
Holy... I just saw Oakvale and it looks amazing! Now I gotta find photoshop tutorials for making hills and waterfalls >_>

Gandwarf
04-07-2010, 04:58 PM
I never used other software to create the hills or waterfalls in my maps. However, I agree with Gamerprinter that it's difficult to create satisfactory hills or waterfalls in CD3. The only waterfall I did was in the Ziadon map:
http://www.cartographersguild.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8567&d=1229640809

I think I could do a much better waterfall with CC3/CD3 now. I have picked up some experience since that map. I think it's even possible to mimick the Oakvale cliffs and waterfalls with CC3/CD3, using imported textures. Photoshop really is the better software though if you want complete freedom. CC3/CD3 lets you import textures, but you are limited in the effects you can apply.

Now, if I could only find the energy to map again... looking back at that Ziadon map I know I could do so much better now :)

snuggums
04-07-2010, 10:28 PM
I think you should find some energy to map again indeed! I've seen many of them and they look really great! It's thanks to your tutorial that I learnt CD3!

NeonKnight
04-08-2010, 01:11 PM
I am certain that almost everything can be achieved within CC3/CD3 if one experiments. Note I say almost everything.

I would be willing to try and experiment to do what you are looking for if you can show an example.

snuggums
04-08-2010, 10:15 PM
This is what got me wanting to make a hill and waterfall. Something sorta similar to that =/ Maybe not as detail but at least that sort of effect.

http://faterpg.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/excerpt_4e_fallcrest1.jpg

Ascension
04-09-2010, 12:53 AM
Snug, that's a Mike Schley (member name Schley) map and he hand-draws his stuff so getting something similar from CC3 or CD3 will be pretty hard. If I remember correctly, though, there might be something similar in one of their annuals.

snuggums
04-09-2010, 08:17 AM
Yes of course, I'm not after the detail, only a way of getting an acceptable look of hills and a waterfall. Could also say I'm after somewhat of the look of the Oakvale map which is made by mox404, and I know the hills and waterfall there is made in photoshop so I won't achieve the same detail and effect. Nevertheless, it's only a simulation of that effect I'm after.

Katto
04-09-2010, 12:27 PM
I've tried to create the illusion of elevation a year ago with the standard fills. Here is the result. Two entities on the same sheet with a stone fill, a dark inner glow and a directional shadow. With better textures this could be a starting point for your map.

NeonKnight
04-09-2010, 12:27 PM
Doing something similar is very, very easy.

Just draw some paths to represent the top/bottom of the hills, extend them past the border/edge of the map and then close them off. Use the MULTIPOLY tool to create a polygon of the paths. Then after changing your pen's color, you can then use the freehand tool if you want to draw the vertical lines to represent the vertical sides of the object in question.

snuggums
04-09-2010, 03:19 PM
I might be a bit thick but I'm not sure how you mean, NeonKnight =/ (I'm horrible at reading instructions...) And I also don't know what the Multipoly tool is :( I could find some polygon tool but that's it.