PDA

View Full Version : March/April Entry: Rulma's Ruby Mine

Map Vandal
04-07-2010, 12:04 PM
When Rulma lost her husband in a farming accident, she felt it was a sign from the gods that dwarves are not supposed to live topside. She and her nine children, returned to the mountains in search for a new life and quickly discovered that mining truly did come naturally to her.

### Latest WIP ###

Jaxilon
04-07-2010, 12:27 PM
Nice map. I think I might borrow this to toss in as a side adventure to use on my friends. Thanks for sharing and because I will probably use this I give thee rep.

Xyll
04-07-2010, 02:44 PM
nice old school feel. Great map

Ascension
04-07-2010, 04:25 PM
Looks good, man. Nice to see ya back in the saddle as well.

Map Vandal
04-08-2010, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the comments. It is definitely good to be making maps again.

tilt
04-08-2010, 10:59 AM
nice map - takes me back to me olde days in ye olde dungeon *lol*

Map Vandal
04-08-2010, 02:27 PM
After spending all that time working on the stone texture, I decided I really wanted this to have a more hand drawn look. I used one of Coyotemax's "Make your own Aged Paper" results and got rid of the background and stone. I like the result. C&C always welcome.

### Latest WIP ###

Ascension
04-08-2010, 07:53 PM
You've got this gray shading just inside the walls...I'd change that to a dark brown to look like bleeding ink but that's a minor thing. Looks good.

Coyotemax
04-08-2010, 10:13 PM
Nifty stuff! :)

Map Vandal
04-09-2010, 04:55 PM
Ascension, thanks for the advice. I agree... brown does look a lot better. I changed the color of the shadows, font, and symbols, and added shadows in the lower section of Family Quarters.

### Latest WIP ###

Aval Penworth
04-10-2010, 06:55 AM
LOOKING GOOD! The colour, aged paper and hand drawn look work really well together.

The only improvement I can think of...Is there a way you can make the writing look like it is actually ink on the page. Maybe a blur or bleed effect?

rdanhenry
04-12-2010, 12:29 AM
The map is looking good. That's a lot of prison cells for a family mining operation. I guess those kids need regular discipline.

Map Vandal
04-12-2010, 11:01 AM
LOOKING GOOD! The colour, aged paper and hand drawn look work really well together.

The only improvement I can think of...Is there a way you can make the writing look like it is actually ink on the page. Maybe a blur or bleed effect?

Thanks for the advice. I added a blur to the text and symbols and it really made it look better. Let me know what you think.

The map is looking good. That's a lot of prison cells for a family mining operation. I guess those kids need regular discipline.

Rulma and her children started this mine, but the operation is now run by her Grandson, Dulner. He is the Chieftan of two branches of the Rundum Clan and has his residence in the ruby mine. The vast number of prison cells are for the vast number of "adventurers" and thieves that invade the mine looking for gems. The clan holds them prisoner until the authorities from Hillside Tower arrive and conduct trials for the accused. There have been numerous times in the past where the clan has had to go to double or triple occupancy in the prison cells. For many, the call of the ruber gem is hard to resist.

### Latest WIP ###

Aval Penworth
04-14-2010, 11:01 AM
For this style of map it is pretty much perfect, I'd say. Well done.