PDA

View Full Version : April Challenge Entry - Brewmasters map

Djekspek
04-09-2010, 05:33 AM
heya, have to enter again (obsessive? me?)... Just hope I have the time to finish it but I wanted to practise the style I tried first for the Kailon Empire map (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?p=102583#post102583) and the challenge provides the opportunity ;) I'm trying to create a map that looks kinda realistic but has a 'surreal handmade feel' to it. I'll try to do this by using oversaturation and adding strange and out-of-scale geological features. I try to add content in a way that makes it 'interesting' to travel (e.g. huge desert with a nile-like river running through it that can be sailed up-stream).

I created a landmass, created the basis coloring to try get some kind of balance (not there yet). The landmass is slightly in perspective trying to give it a little feel of depth. Also took some mountain bumpmaps from the Kailon map, slapped them on and started to modify them and adding some other features. The border will be a hop-vine-metallic pattern (once/if I find out how to draw stylized hop vines ;) ... Results until now attached. cheers!

### Latest WIP ###

Ghostman
04-09-2010, 06:34 AM
Very pretty - not that it could look any other way with this style :)

On the southern end of the big continent there's two parallel mountain ranges. The western one seems well enough, as it could be a continuation of the range a bit to the north, following the general shape of the continent. The eastern one looks just plain odd and unrealistic though. It runs right across the peninsula and stops abrubtly on the coasts, without appropriate island chains to indicate the ridge carrying on. It would look much better to have this second range running east-west along the southern coast of the peninsula.

Jaxilon
04-14-2010, 01:23 PM
I'm liking how this is looking. I've been wrapped up in the Lite challenge so am only now getting over here to check out what you all have been working on.

How did you get Italy in the upper right corner or is that just me? hehe

ravells
04-16-2010, 12:39 PM
Beautiful work as always, Dj!

Ramah
04-16-2010, 02:40 PM
Indeed, looking wonderful as always, Dj. :)
Looking forward to seeing more of this.

tilt
04-19-2010, 03:19 PM
beautiful colors, looking forward to seing how it'll progress ... I feel the north-eastern part of the world sticks a little out (it feels more 2D than 3D - if that makes sense?) :)

Greason Wolfe
04-19-2010, 10:48 PM
You know, seeing your work, along with the work of several others, makes me wonder why I bother entering these challenges. :D Looking great, DJ, and I'll be waiting to see more.

GW

Djekspek
04-21-2010, 05:30 PM
Thanks guys for the comments. Thanks Ghostman, the mountains are indeed off and Tilt you're right the northern parts looks kinda out-of-perspective. I'll try to fix that. hehe Jax, must be my subconsiousness (is that a word?) drawing some shapes from the back of my head... dont even really like italy (except for the food ;) .... And GW, your work is pretty amazing as well so please keep "bothering" entering.
Just hope I can have some time on this, working on commissions in my sparse free time but hope there's a little time left this week to work on this. Wont get it all done but I'll try to do some more as I really want to practise this style... Anyway, it's great to see so many entries this month, beer must be inspiring to many I guess :D cheers!

Djekspek
04-23-2010, 10:05 AM
Hmm, running out of time but managed to get it into something I had in my head... aimed for a sort of surrealistic look n feel... So I changed landshapes a little, detailled the features, drew some icons (wanted to make different one per race but didnt get to it), added content, painted a scroll, shield and a "hoppy" compass... (I snatched the parchment border from some other map). Idea of the content is to give some background on brewing ingredients that can be found around the world. Did some sketching and base coloring for the non-fleshed-out content. Not sure if I can spend much more on it (deadline is tomorrow right?) so probably this is the final version. cheers!

### Latest WIP ###

Ramah
04-23-2010, 11:26 AM
Bah. Tried to give you some rep but I need to spread it around some.

Really beautiful map. I think this is better than your last map in this style (which I also loved) because the last one seemed more like a blatant copy whereas this is an extension of that style, incorporating your own uniqueness into it.
Really good stuff. :)

Gandwarf
04-25-2010, 02:43 PM
Wasn't too impressed with the first WIP you posted (it looked good, but considering the great maps I have seen from you)... but this latest version is again awesome work. Glad you decided to go for detailed icons for cities and such again. I also very much like the beer mug in the title and the compass. You have some amazing drawing skills. Too bad it looks like you can't finish everything before the deadline?

Djekspek
04-25-2010, 03:53 PM
thank guys! Aye, I could spend hours more sculpting the little mountains into more detail, but with time-constraints I tried to focus on the requirements. And as the challenge was to flesh-out one main continent i didn't plan to detail the others (so it may not look 100% finished indeed). But at least I think it meets this month requirements ;) Latest version I posted here is the same as the previous but the other version was a little low-res (making labels a little hard to read) so this is a hi-res version. Anyway, had a blast making this and exploring this style a little more :) cheers!

### Latest WIP ###

Gandwarf
04-25-2010, 05:37 PM
Latest version looks more polished. The labeling wasn't entirely done in the last version and that certainly looked unfinished. It's a lot better now, though it would have been cool if you were able to finish everything in detail of course :)

ravells
05-01-2010, 06:56 AM
Holey moley, this is a work of art!! The quality of the entries this month is the highest I've ever seen.

Djekspek
05-01-2010, 05:06 PM
Thanks guys and I must agree, the quality this month entries is really amazing... (which again proves that beer is a driving factor when it comes to inspiration ;) Normally there's a couple of entries that sort of stand out but I dont have a clue where to put my money this month... cheers!