PDA

View Full Version : How to print maps across multiple sheets

pyrandon
10-14-2007, 02:13 PM
Here's a program recommended by our friend Butch Curry over at Zombie Nirvana Games recently posted over at his website (www.zombienirvana.com):

6 October, 2007 (13:10) | Software | By: Butch

I got an email last night from a viewer who has a large map. He wanted to print it across multiple sheets of paper rather than shrinking it down to a single sheet, and asked if there was an easy way to do this in Photoshop.

To be perfectly honest, if there is one, I donít know what it is and my Googling couldnít turn one up. What I DID find, though, was a rather nifty little program called PosteRazor (http://posterazor.sourceforge.net/). It takes an image and based on your choices (how many pages to split it into, how big a blank border your printer will create, how much and where to overlap the sheets, etc.) divides it up into a multi-page PDF. Just print the PDF, trim off the borders, and put it together!

Itís free, open source, and available for Windows, OSX, and Linux. Itís also a very small program (the biggest of the three versions is less than 1 MB) and very fast. I tried it out this morning and it works like a charm; itís definitely worth a look!

RPMiller
10-14-2007, 03:17 PM
Cool find. For myself though I would probably go to someone like Gamerprinter and just have them print it to a large format, but this is definitely an economical and 'at home' process. Thanks for the link!

RobA
10-15-2007, 09:30 AM
If you use windows, just use the built in paint program!

By default, printing will use the image DPI and span the picture across as many pages as needed, automatically!

-Rob A>

Naryt
10-15-2007, 10:19 AM
If you use windows, just use the built in paint program!

By default, printing will use the image DPI and span the picture across as many pages as needed, automatically!

-Rob A>

Didn't know that.

What I've done in the past is use Acrobat (not Acrobat Reader) to load the image. Then I just tile the image using a 1/4" overlap. Trim the interior whitespace, use the overlap to properly align the sheets, apply clear tape and presto!

Now I'll have to give both Paint and PosteRazor a try.

Update
Let me just say that PosteRazor is my new map slicer and dicer! Exceptionally easy to use, free, cross-platform and free...oh, did I say that already?

Arcana
10-15-2007, 11:43 AM
I bet this program woudl be great for creating maps viewable by a tile server such as google maps api....mmmm...

Redrobes
08-01-2012, 11:18 AM
Cheers thanks thats a good link. But I still think PosteRazor is a good bet and its free:

http://posterazor.sourceforge.net/

When I used it, it worked like a charm but by all means use what works out for you.

ravells
08-04-2012, 04:54 AM
Moved to the 'How do I' section.