PDA

View Full Version : iPhone map making application

mbussi
04-10-2010, 03:41 AM
Hello everybody,

after lurking on this forum for a while, soaking up wonderful advice and basking in the marvelous creations posted here, I'd like to communicate that I've developed a map making application for the iPhone. While not as sophisticated as Dundjinni, I nevertheless think that it is a nice and quick way to sketch up that little map you forgot for tonight game.

I know this might seem a kind of shameless plug, but I'm posting this here mainly because I've started working on a more serious map making application for the iPad and I'm looking for suggestions on which features you would like in such an application.

More information, including a gallery of maps, can be found here: http://www.macisw.com/macimapmaker/, while the app can be found on the AppStore here: http://itunes.com/app/macimapmaker/

Cheers
Massimiliano

Ilwan
04-10-2010, 05:53 AM
Interesting. Still I miss the feature listing, to make a purchase. How many objects, how many textures, what kind of textures and more screens. Good luck with it.

mbussi
04-10-2010, 07:50 AM
Interesting. Still I miss the feature listing, to make a purchase. How many objects, how many textures, what kind of textures and more screens. Good luck with it.

Inside the application there is a smallish library of background textures (78 in 9 categories) and objects (133 in 11 categories). Additional categories can be created and any jpeg/png image can be downloaded from the internet and added to the library.

I will place more screenshots later today, including a full list of all the images and textures included.

Cheers
Massimiliano

P.S.
There is a screencast video on YouTube that shows how the application works: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqKpgf-Ob0g

Ilwan
04-10-2010, 09:22 AM
Great - looking forward to that. The ability to add to the objects to your library is very nice. :)

Daelin
04-10-2010, 10:46 AM
This could be great if you're on the fly and you suddenly get a cool idea for a map, that you want to make a quick "work print" of, for latter use. Or if you're somewhere, gaming, and need a super-quick dungeon map. Or if you're just bored while riding the train/bus.
Any of the above, really, provided you have that darn iPhone thingy! :P

mbussi
04-10-2010, 11:21 AM
All the provided objects are now visible in the screenshots section. Background textures will follow.

mearrin69
04-10-2010, 11:33 AM
Looks pretty cool. Not sure I'd ever want to make maps on my iPod Touch because the screen's so small but I bet you get a few takers for this. You looking at iPad? I don't have one yet but I've got strong urges in that direction...
M

mbussi
04-10-2010, 12:12 PM
You looking at iPad? I don't have one yet but I've got strong urges in that direction...

Yes, I am. Actually, I have two apps for the iPad in the pipeline: one is a full featured map making application, the other is a Fantasy Grounds-like virtual tabletop program.

The iPad is simply screaming for such an application IMHO.

mbussi
04-13-2010, 05:54 AM
By the way, version 1.01 is live on the AppStore: a couple of minor fixes and a confirmation dialog before deleting objects has been added.