PDA

View Full Version : Arinor

Diamond
04-11-2010, 08:00 PM
While I sort out various problems with the other maps I'm working on, I thought I'd start something new. This will be another antique style map, cause I just really dig that style. :D

I did part of the border first; it will eventually have all kinds of intricate corner designs etc on it. For some reason putting the border in first is helping me frame (pun intended) the layout of the whole thing a bit better.

I'm going to try out one of Raskat's methods for mountain-building and see how it looks; that's the next step. Here's a first pass, with coastlines and oceans done:

euio
04-11-2010, 09:22 PM
I like it! Looks kind of mosaic-y.

Diamond
04-12-2010, 03:28 AM
Thanks, Captain Vowel. :D

Here's a very small update, with some preliminary mountain work done. I used Raskat's brush method, but with more traditional shapes. I'm kinda digging the way it looks...

Raskat
04-12-2010, 05:41 AM
You're doing a good job. I like the shape of the world :).

Anyway, I think you should change sometimes the brush length. This way you will obtain mountains of different heights. Otherwise they will look all the same. Maybe something like this?

Diamond
04-12-2010, 02:24 PM
Yep, that's what I have in mind; this is just preliminary stuff just to get the locations in. I'm definitely going to go back and add more detail.

Diamond
04-15-2010, 08:41 PM
Scrapped the Arinor map; didn't like the shape of the landmass. Rather than start a new thread though, I'll start the new map here.

This is a remake of an older map (which can be found here: http://chanimur.deviantart.com/art/Soulless-96267129). The story dictated a change in some of the landscape, so it was time for a remake...

Here's the first bit done; all the mountains are individually drawn, and they're not done yet; I'm going to go back and add more detail to each of them. Yes, I am a glutton for punishment. :D

arsheesh
04-15-2010, 09:34 PM
Wow, I really like the shape of this continent, especially the way you have it framed. Those mountains are looken pretty sweet as well. Great job on this one Diamond!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Jaxilon
04-15-2010, 10:15 PM
I agree, this shape is very nice. It reminds me a bit of an upside down Africa or South America which means it looks rather natural to the human eye.

Diamond
04-15-2010, 10:49 PM
Thanks guys! More to come tonight or tomorrow.

Diamond
04-19-2010, 12:05 AM
A small update; nothing major. I decided against adding a whole lot more detail to the mountains - I'm going to add a grungy overlay to the map, and I think that will give enough visual tweaks where any more detail on the mountains would be counterproductive.

I added the rivers in, and a (I think) cool-looking compass, as well as some ocean rings done by using a stroke only and lowering the opacity by different amounts on each ring, rather than a fill then stroke. It softened them up quite a bit and looks better and less hard-edged.

Now I'm debating on how I want the forests and plains (of which there are a lot - the whole central portion of the map is one huge steppe) to look. They'll be icons, and I've got the ones I want to use for the forests pretty well nailed down, but I'm at a loss as to how to show grassland without peppering that whole huge area with too many symbols. Any suggestions?

Diamond
04-20-2010, 10:01 PM
Thought I would post a version with the grunge turned on so you can see how it looks.

jwbjerk
04-20-2010, 10:36 PM
looks pretty authentic

plamadude30k
04-21-2010, 12:19 AM
The grunge looks great-very close to a lot of old maps I've seen. I'm happy to reciprocate on the rep you gave me, and I can't wait to see what you do next.

Coyotemax
04-21-2010, 01:08 AM
Very nice!

Diamond
04-28-2010, 12:55 AM
An update with a whole mess of names added in; I may go back and get rid of the outline around some of the names. Now that I look at it again, that look doesn't really mesh with the look of the other text.

rpgmapmaker
04-28-2010, 01:30 AM
I love the classic look and feel of this map. Reped

Diamond
04-28-2010, 01:38 AM
Thanks! :D

arsheesh
04-28-2010, 01:39 AM
I really like this map diamond!

Raskat
04-28-2010, 04:38 AM
WOW! Impressive, you've done it! :D Have some rep man.

Ramah
04-28-2010, 06:08 AM
Loving the map, Diamond. :)

Can't see anything that I would change to be honest. I love the shape of the landmass and the composition of how you've framed it within the border.The palette is great and the very simple yet effective mountains. Labelling is very well done.

If I had to be VERY picky and come up with a criticism it would be that the paper texture you've used seems a little stretched vertically, at the top at least. Looking at the bottom of the image you can pick out individual spots of noise in the texture, whereas at the top it is blurred and stretched. No biggy but as I say, I was being very critical. :)

Looking forward to seeing this complete.

Oh, and btw... do you have Indiana Jones trapped it that Well of Souls? :)

Diamond
04-28-2010, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the crit, Ramah, means a lot to me.

Yeah, I did notice the stretching phenomena on the texture, but as you say it's minor. There will be a border around the whole thing eventually that should diminish some of that (at least at the edges).

Very different Well of Souls; this one contains the dead spirits of all the ancestors of the Jendai nomads. Indy would get his ass kicked in there. :D

Diamond
04-28-2010, 04:51 PM
Another update, with some more text added in, and the main part of the outer frame/border.

Steel General
04-28-2010, 05:06 PM
Overall I think this is pretty darn cool Diamond. The only thing I would think about changing is maybe/possible 'toning' down the frame/border a bit. In my opinion it drags the eye away from a excellent map.

Diamond
04-28-2010, 07:51 PM
How's this, SG? I put a white-filled layer under the border, then lowered the border's opacity a bit.

Also, all text is DONE. *whew*

Yandor
04-28-2010, 08:18 PM
wow looking great, I did notice at the top of the border, you can see where the texture isn't seamless I guess is the best way I can put it... its where the light goes into the dark, other than that its looking great!

Diamond
04-28-2010, 08:23 PM
Yep, that's being addressed by adding a title banner across the top of the thing which should hide most of it.

That's why I put the coats-of-arms boxes on the left as well. :D

Yandor
04-28-2010, 08:28 PM
haha alright, well then... keep it up! =D

Ascension
04-28-2010, 10:55 PM
I'm with Steel, the stone cracks and blurry stone mosaic borders just don't seem to fit. The coloring is fine but the large dark cracks and fake-looking mosaics kill it. Maybe if the cracked border wasn't so huge it might look better and detract less. I'd try to shrink the shields and put them on the map itself in the empty space somewhere...maybe a legend fitting into the vast empty desert area. That way you could shrink down those borders and just use colors and very very very light patterns. The map itself look sweet, though, so high marks on that.

Diamond
04-29-2010, 02:19 AM
Hmmm. Let me see what I can do...

Diamond
04-29-2010, 02:50 AM
Okay, here's two final versions, one with the old border (which I'm now totally self-conscious about :D), and a new, much toned-down one with one of Coyotemax's excellent old paper backgrounds in back to give it some body. I've got to admit, I like the second one better.

Pending any major disasters or discrepancies that you guys can see, I think this is done.

Yandor
04-29-2010, 03:42 AM
Wow tough sell, I think I like the newer boarder one, (second image) But it seems for me personally that its lacking something... I'm not to sure one what could help that border out, but nonetheless absolutely great map!