PDA

View Full Version : North-West of Estalia

dimbel
10-15-2007, 06:41 AM
Here's a quick preview of a map I'm working on...

C&C welcome

And yeah the colours suck ;)

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/5477/mapnwlittleah6.th.jpg (http://img523.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mapnwlittleah6.jpg)

ravells
10-15-2007, 07:23 AM
Welcome to the guild, dimbel! I like the colours and the forest. The mountains look a bit odd though. I'd suggest maybe exploring using a different style? the map is is quite fantasy traditional, so maybe the old fashioned CC style of mountain might work? If the symbols are meant to be cliff faces, then you need to watch the perspective, the ones on the top left look 'off'. I really like the general style, though. Very pleasing.

Are you doing this all by hand?

Welcome to the Guild!

dimbel
10-15-2007, 07:35 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome.

The map is meant to be used in D&D, so it's a fantasy-map.
I agree with the cliffs, I've done this afterwards that's because the upper cliff looks odd :) (but valid point, I'll change that.)
I'm not sure what you mean by "old style CC mountains" :)

Maybe the coastlines are a little too smooth...

Yes, it was done by hand...but was relatively quick done (about 1 1/2h while watching tv ;) )

ravells
10-15-2007, 07:46 AM
Old style CC (Campaign Cartographer) mountains are sort of like the ones in the map below. As made famous in Tolkien's maps I guess.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=970&d=1190839657

dimbel
10-15-2007, 07:50 AM
Oh, ok...looks not too bad. I'll see if it's worth to imitate...

This is the first map I drew, and I didn't think it would be that entertaining and rewarding :)

Valarian
10-15-2007, 08:38 AM
Hi Dimbel,

It's a good start and a nice handdrawn style. Personally, I think the palette is a little washed out, but it looks a bit like pastels. Add some blur in to the finished image and you'll have a pastel drawn map.

A quick Google turns up this map (http://www.fys.ku.dk/~blicher/Estalia.jpg). So that's what you're up against.

ravells
10-15-2007, 08:43 AM
Very nice map, there Valrian!

dimbel
10-15-2007, 08:54 AM
Hi Dimbel,

It's a good start and a nice handdrawn style. Personally, I think the palette is a little washed out, but it looks a bit like pastels. Add some blur in to the finished image and you'll have a pastel drawn map.

A quick Google turns up this map (http://www.fys.ku.dk/~blicher/Estalia.jpg). So that's what you're up against.

Wow... that's a hell of a map IMHO.
But it looks not handdrawn to me...what do you think?
Otherwise it's been a lot of work!

Torq
10-15-2007, 09:44 AM
I really like the colours Dimbel, maybe they need to be a shade more intense, but I think they go together. The style reminds me of the Maps that Pete Fenlon did for the Iron Crown Enterprises stuff for Middle Earth.

Oh, and welcome ;)

Torq

Valarian
10-15-2007, 10:13 AM
Very nice map, there Valrian!
It's not mine ... it's a professional job for the Warhammer Fantasy product line. I just did a quick Google look around to see what there was for comparison about Estalia

Wow... that's a hell of a map IMHO.
But it looks not handdrawn to me...what do you think?
Otherwise it's been a lot of work!
My guess is that they've used Campaign Cartographer here. The symbols look familiar.

pyrandon
10-15-2007, 10:19 AM
Hi, Dimbel, & welcome! I really like waht you have so far--but then, hand drawn is my favorite, "warts" and all.

I think Torq & others have zeroed in on problem #1: fix the colors. If you scan this in to Photoshop or GIMP, this is amazingly easy. I would suggest you eliminate all white, and color over the other colors. I think you'll be amazed at how much this improves your already nice map!

NeonKnight
10-15-2007, 11:27 AM
Welcome to the guild. Hope to see some fine stuff from you in the future.

I would say the Warhammer map is definitely originally Done in CC2 or CC3, and then manipulated after.

dimbel
10-15-2007, 11:44 AM
Do you have any advice how to fix the colours?
I'm using gimp and I have a little pain getting it right...

RobA
10-15-2007, 12:10 PM
Do you have any advice how to fix the colours?
I'm using gimp and I have a little pain getting it right...

First go to the Colours->Levels and pick Auto. This will make the blacks black and the whites white.

Then use the Colours->hue/lightness/saturation on all colours to boost them (crank up the saturation). You can also pick an individual colour channel and shift the hue, i.e. make the cyan water more blue.

Edit-Attached is a sample. Here I duplicated the layer and set it to multiply, to "punch" the colours a bit more, just as an example.

-Rob A>

dimbel
10-16-2007, 01:26 AM
Oh ok, I see what you mean. I've been playing around with the curves a little, which gave a similiar result, yours is better though.

I'll try to color properly by hand as I lacked blotting paper at that moment of the drawing...

RobA
10-16-2007, 11:19 AM
Yeah - curves can do everything the levels dialog does, and more. (Most people get scared by the curves dialog, and don't understand the way it works, so I usually suggest that they start with the simpler levels dialog :) )

-Rob A>

helium3
10-17-2007, 12:29 AM
It's a nice map, particularly if you drew it in 1.5 hours. I particularly like your coastlines and the patch of mountains in the middle of the big forest.

I'm not such a big fan of the cliffs/hills or whatever they are. It's not real clear from an initial viewing exactly what they are. So, I'd think about adding some detail to those that might make what they're depicting more obvious.

Those professional Estelia maps may or may not have been done in Campaign Cartographer, but they certainly weren't hand drawn. If you look at the features carefully, you'll see that they're basically copies of the same object.

dimbel
10-17-2007, 02:14 AM
Those "cliffs" should actually be hills, but that's a valid point...it's not clear enough what they are. I'll work something out, thx!

helium3
10-17-2007, 11:57 AM
I think the problem with the hills (now that I know that's what they are) is that the shading on them is too dark. Lighten the shade a bit and maybe give a sense of roundness to it and they'll look more like hills and less like cliffs.

landorl
10-19-2007, 03:33 PM
I agree with Helium3 about the shading of the hill. Also, the way that the shading was done makes them look flat. If done the way that the Pete Fenlon Maps, or the other ones that were posted here, the hills should have a curve to their base to give them a sense of depth.

Still, this is a nice start, and for 1.5 hours, it shows that there is some potential to the world that you are creating.:)