PDA

View Full Version : Bhindraene World Building Project

bhanain03
04-13-2010, 03:59 PM
Been working on this project for years, as it is the setting of a series of novels I'm writing (also for years), but have just recently began to update it and bring my hand drawn work into the digital universe. Here's a look at the very early stages of this WIP.

General overview of land masses, lakes, and rivers on an aged paper background.

Another general overview, this time showing the mountain ranges in a beveled style. Unfinished physical rendition. Further texturing and stylistic details remain to be added along with labels and cartouche, compass rose, etc.

Political map showing the areas of settlement of different tribes and their major cities after 500 years into the first age (Traedern). The first and most crude territorial representation of over twenty separate political maps of different times in the world's history. Those I shall post as I engineer them in PS.

mearrin69
04-13-2010, 05:36 PM
Looks pretty good...maybe some issues with rivers but I'll leave that to the River Police. I like your mountains! Have some rep.
M

bhanain03
04-13-2010, 08:37 PM
Oh noes, I was dreading the arrival of the River Police already. :S

Aenigma
04-14-2010, 05:20 AM
Cool map. Cool concept, but some of the names are hard to read because they blend in. Maybe you could change the font-colour or something?
Also, I don't wanna be bitchy, but some names... I can't figure out how to say them xD

Anyways, awesome work and I'd give rep If I knew how... ._.

bhanain03
04-14-2010, 12:22 PM
Cool map. Cool concept, but some of the names are hard to read because they blend in. Maybe you could change the font-colour or something?
Also, I don't wanna be bitchy, but some names... I can't figure out how to say them xD

I lightened up the background behind the font but, yeah, I still see readability issues there. I'll try messing around with font colours, maybe add some effect to them but I think maybe the problem might just be the font itself, as some others I tried came in much darker (but weren't quite the style I wanted).

And that's part of the glory of fantasy - you don't need to be overly worried about pronouncing a lot of names correctly, just go with your first impression. As the author, there is the way I pronounce them but I certainly don't expect my phonetic interpretations to be an absolute for any readers.

Although this bit may help: Nearly every 'ae' combination I read as a long 'a' sound, such as in the word 'betray'. And words ending with a consonant and the letter 'e' follow English phonetics - that is, the 'e' is not pronounced but implies more emphasis on the previous consonant, such as in the word 'plane'. Double 'l's indicate a softer 'l' sound, such as one produced when the tongue starts touching the front of the hard palate, as opposed to an 'l' pronounced with the tongue starting directly behind the teeth. This pronunciation is the least vital, though, in my opinion, not only because the difference is so slight but because most languages and even several different accents of English always pronounce their 'l's in the first manner I stated. Apologies for going somewhat off-topic here. Phonetics doesn't have a lot to do with cartography. ;)

jwbjerk
04-14-2010, 02:16 PM
I lightened up the background behind the font but, yeah, I still see readability issues there. I'll try messing around with font colours, maybe add some effect to them but I think maybe the problem might just be the font itself, as some others I tried came in much darker (but weren't quite the style I wanted)...

Make your coastline stroke color significantly lighter, no need for it to be pure black. And it could be thinner-- your first map is a good example of both. Then you can keep the font you like and get better readability.

bhanain03
04-14-2010, 10:08 PM
A second political map, jump forward 500 years. Hopefully this one is more readable, too. As you can see, there are more cities and coloured territories, reflecting the expansions and additions of new factions/tribes, although all coloured areas are part of the same solitary kingdom, Trie. White areas are places still wild, unsettled, or undiscovered.

bhanain03
04-15-2010, 09:58 PM
Just a quick edit of the previous map to show the single expansiveness of the kingdom of Trie without borders.

bhanain03
04-16-2010, 06:44 PM
All good things must come to an end. 1117 years into the first age, the kingdom of Trie erupts into a civil war that ends with the most bitter of costs, forever altering the course of mankind's destiny and humbling the gods themselves. Hope for redemption is scattered to the winds.

bhanain03
04-16-2010, 10:02 PM
E unum pluribus: Out of one, many. The collapse of the kingdom of Trie after the Trine War caused many factions to either assert their independence or group together to forge new kingdoms but one thing was certain: Trie was dead. The remnants of the giant empire in the old capital, Tanis Cordanis, became a shadow of their former glory; one that now had several substantial rivals. Peace became an illusive dream as the first age came to a close.

bhanain03
04-18-2010, 10:39 PM
The second age begins (Traeslaen) as old feuds reignite. The nations of Draekeln and Eldaeron, the former seats of the slain demi-gods Rand and Forn, the sparks which erupted into the Trine War, are now ruled by mortal kings. Yet despite the deaths of Rand and Forn, emnities continue to thrive. The War of the Three Seasons ends with Riendaln fallen, the Eldaeron king executed, and Draekeln victorious.

plamadude30k
04-18-2010, 11:22 PM
I really like your map style, but I especially like the way you've treated the history of your world. Great job!

bhanain03
04-19-2010, 03:35 PM
I really like your map style, but I especially like the way you've treated the history of your world. Great job!

Thanks very much!:D

History still marches forward: The middle kingdoms split away from Great Tanis and form the Emerald Confederation, led by the demi-god Dorn and his three sons.

bhanain03
04-21-2010, 04:05 PM
A rebellion in Draekeln births the new nation of Hemicia (1183). Riendaln is sacked once again and all of Eldaeron is annexed by Avaleign (1192). The Emerald Confederation disbands and its lands become controlled by clan chieftans and warlords, other parts are siphoned by the control of expanding neighbors such as Llaene and Grand Corim (1203-1207).

Boslok
04-22-2010, 12:31 AM
Nice map, I really like the historical work your putting into this.

bhanain03
04-25-2010, 05:11 PM
Nice map, I really like the historical work your putting into this.

Thanks again. :)

With Eldaeron conquered, border tensions between Avaleign and Draekeln rise to provoke war once again. In a daring attempt to bring Avaleign down, Draekeln sends one army, the Sintris, north while another army, the Fahn, sails around Faldern, intending to then march south to Balin-Dran itself. Caught by ravaging sea storms takes the Fahn ships off-course, however, and they mistakenly land on shores held by Great Tanis. Heroes are born and slain amidst the conflict. The Sintris army is eradicated while the Fahn army has no choice but to surrender. Draekeln is forced to cede territory as Eldaeron is reestablished and Llaenish occupation occurs. The remaining Fahn forces, with no way home, are given mercy by the king of Great Tanis after they swear allegiance to him and are allowed to establish the territory of the Rundvelt.

bhanain03
04-29-2010, 09:29 PM
War erupts between Llaene and Grand Corim and Llaenish forces are victorious at the Battle of Triendor, then begin their march toward Aviroth. Grand Corim also faces defeat from Klastian insurgents on the Klehorn Isles. In the west, Dalraissia continues its conquest of Benalia.

bartmoss
04-30-2010, 01:35 AM
Nice map - and a great continent shape.

For rivers, one or two look odd, but the worst offender is the one that joins three rivers in a mountain somewhat southeast of the center. Of course if this is a fantasy world you could somehow explain it, but a better solution might be to simply reroute them and start them in different places.

bhanain03
04-30-2010, 04:17 PM
Nice map - and a great continent shape.

For rivers, one or two look odd, but the worst offender is the one that joins three rivers in a mountain somewhat southeast of the center. Of course if this is a fantasy world you could somehow explain it, but a better solution might be to simply reroute them and start them in different places.

Thanks very much. That continent is the result of a decade of slow evolution via hand drawings. I am very proud of it. :)

The river region you're referring to, I'm assuming, is this one?

bhanain03
04-30-2010, 04:19 PM
Llaene's campaign into Grand Corim halted as the legions of Grand Corim counter-attacked. Llaenish forces were in disarray and internal feuds resulted in the split of the kingdom under the rule of two kings. This left Llaene vulnerable, which Draekeln pursued, reclaiming Seara (1265). Meanwhile, Grand Corim continued to lose ground on the Klehorn Isles to Klastian revolts, losing Mildaera and Inissaede. After losing vast amounts of territory on two fronts, Llaene sued for peace in 1270.

bhanain03
05-01-2010, 09:59 PM
Dalraissia (Roneland) and Avaleign unite with the marriage of the demi-god Rone to Queen Caer An'Faetan and together they sack the city of Eldyr, where Rone's twin brother Durn had been held captive by Eldaeron for piracy since 1311. Draekeln goes on the warpath once again, laying siege to Buchandorn, Fiandis, Bainnur, and Rorys. Meanwhile the two Llaenish kings battle each other as Eil-Llaene's king, Carrick Lleris, demands the crown of the south. His armies proceed to sack the capital of Delemire, where he executes the Llaenish Council. Grand Corim, while having regained the city of Gaernistar from the Klastians, is stunned by the sudden rebellion of Lord Amphael of Rharis, who crowns himself King of the Delamnos Isles.

alizarine
05-01-2010, 10:14 PM
These are excellent maps, and wonderful histories. Maybe we'll see some full geographic maps soon? Looking forward to seeing more of these, and hearing more about the world ^.^ Maybe some flora/fauna distribution or language distribution maps - if that's something you're interested in, of course ^.^

- Alizarine

bhanain03
05-04-2010, 11:55 PM
These are excellent maps, and wonderful histories. Maybe we'll see some full geographic maps soon? Looking forward to seeing more of these, and hearing more about the world ^.^ Maybe some flora/fauna distribution or language distribution maps - if that's something you're interested in, of course ^.^

Thank you for the wonderful compliments. I will be working on completing a geographic map fairly soon, especially since I've gotten into a quick rhythm in pumping out these political/historical maps. I've obtained access to ArcGIS, too, so I'll be experimenting with elevation maps with that.

---

Avaleign queen Caer An'Faetan executes her husband and his brother, the two demi-gods, Rone and Durn, and Lord Anroen of Chiarvel raises a rebellion against her tyranny. Allying with King Ricker III of Riendaln, the Salt Sea Alliance is formed and the Rones War begins. Draekeln and Grand Corim form a shaky cooperation and topple the kingdom of Llaene. Grand Corim also crushes King Amphael of Delamnos and breaks the Klastian militia in Klehorn. To counter the spreading grasp of the Fahn-born territory of the Rundvelt, Tanis king Conlaen An'Cuine extends his military support to the Northern Clans and welcomes them as part of Great Tanis.

Ascension
05-05-2010, 12:16 AM
I know I'm late to comment here, but the vivid colors make the smaller words hard to read, especially the blue and dark sage green areas.

bhanain03
05-05-2010, 09:29 AM
I know I'm late to comment here, but the vivid colors make the smaller words hard to read, especially the blue and dark sage green areas.

Hm, yes, I can see that. I suppose I've taken it for granted that I use an image zooming addon in Firefox. The maps are originally 4400x3357 but I downsize them to 1280x977 for sake of upload size. More muted colours (or reduced opacity) are definitely key to this problem, regardless. Thanks for the much appreciated feedback. :)

Jaxilon
05-05-2010, 10:56 AM
Which add-on is that? I have something where I can hold the ctrl key down and zoom way in but if it's an add-on I've long forgotten which one it is.

I love the hand painted look of this btw.

bhanain03
05-05-2010, 01:14 PM
Which add-on is that? I have something where I can hold the ctrl key down and zoom way in but if it's an add-on I've long forgotten which one it is.

I love the hand painted look of this btw.

It's a Firefox add-on called Image Zoom (http://imagezoom.yellowgorilla.net/). When viewing an image in the browser, it shows the magnifying glass right away and will zoom in once on click, which is usually sufficient, but I believe there are other shortcuts for more functionality. And thank you for the support. :)

alizarine
05-05-2010, 11:36 PM
I agree it's a touch hard to read those labels on the darker colors, but what's really making them hard to read is where they overlap the black border-lines. If you like the colors of the countries (they do stand out well against each other) an alternative would be to add a thin white stroke to the labels - maybe only a couple of points wide. That would help the labels stand out without having to change the colors of the nations. I can't believe you've come up with all this history; such an interesting read and really brings the maps to life.

- Alizarinerose

bhanain03
06-02-2010, 11:09 PM
I've been in the process of relocating so I've taken a little break from posting on this mapping project (although I have the next three political maps done, only lacking labeling) and I thought it'd be nice to provide an updated and more finalized physical map to break up the monotony of all these historical blips. So, here is my prototype physical map for the world of Bhindraene. Thanks to many of you for the fabulous tips, tutorials, patterns, brushes, and other content that went in to finish this.

altasilvapuer
06-06-2010, 07:04 PM
I love the detail in this. Amazing work, bhanain! Duly repped.

-asp

Zong
06-08-2010, 01:07 PM
Your map looks great and I love the history you've written.

bhanain03
06-09-2010, 12:22 AM
Thank you all for your wonderful compliments! Hopefully I'll keep your attention as I once more dive into the annals of Bhindraene's history...

The alliance between Lord Anroen of Chiarvel and King Ricker III of Riendaln forces Avaleign to acquiesce to their terms of peace. The territories of Narmyr, Faldern, and Rhynom are ceded to Roneland while Scathach is ceded to Eldaeron. Now undisputed ruler of Roneland, King Anroen furthers his conquests by capturing Candaign and securing the ancient capital. He then turned his forces to fighting the Benalish Clans in the south. King Ricker III withdraws his allegiance and begins to oppose Ronish expansion on Benalia. This has dire effects, however, as the Ronish army sieges Eldyr, burning it to rubble, and has the Eldaeron Council all executed. With Anroen and Ricker III fighting amongst each other, King Caeln An'Caer of Avaleign retakes several of his ceded territories. Yet while all three kingdoms suffered losses, the return of Candaign to Ronish control, Avaleign regaining much it had lost, and Eldaeron crippled managed to finally bring real peace to the region. The Rone's War was over. Meanwhile, Llaenic rebels in Llaencan and Delemire successfully revolt against Draekeln and Grand Corim.

Sailing from Cors, the Llaenic forces liberate Rorys from Draekeln and successfully begin to regain their ancestral lands and unite forces with the rebel Llaenic clans around Bainnur to achieve heroic victories against the armies of Draekeln and Grand Corim. Buchandorn rises in rebellion, as well, opening another front for Draekeln's troops to fight as they retreat from Llaene. Taking full advantage of Draekeln's concentration on fighting with Llaene, Hemicia invades from the west and moves inward far enough to sack Laigar before their march is checked. Having reached friendly relations with Hemicia, Roneland slowly continues its now uncontested subjugation of southern Benalia.

Edit Note: While I admit many of these historical maps only show slight territorial shifts, rest assured that more drastic changes are looming just over the horizon. Changes which will shake the foundations of every corner of the world, giving way to an intense struggle in which all things hang in the balance.

So please, stay tuned and have patience. :P

bhanain03
08-17-2010, 10:13 AM
To anybody wondering why I haven't continued posting on this WIP, I've had a series of very frustrating setbacks and am only now getting back into the project. My PC's hard drive crashed and unfortunately I didn't have all of my work saved on my backup drive. Then I had to move due to my work and have been busy getting adjusted and settled in my new place. But I have found some breathing room and will continue working on this project when I have the time and I will, hopefully, keep good on my promise to bring the rest of the history of Bhindraene in more maps to come. Thanks for all the patience.

Eilathen
08-17-2010, 12:39 PM
Ouch, sorry to hear that, man. Losing files in a crash sucks.
Hope your adjustment goes well? Looking forward to more of this (even if I just discovered it ;) ). Have some rep!