Once again, thanks for the script as it has made my life a lot easier. Right now I am DMing a game and it has allowed me to quickly make reasonably nice looking maps which I can print out at full size on a 34x22" plotter. I don't expect to use any of my maps more than one time, so being able to churn them out is key, and I am very thankful for that. Below are a couple examples in case anyone would like to use them. I am also fairly inept with image editing programs so they are more than a little rough around the edges, but am improving.
Anyway, my process is to sketch a map out on graph paper, do the lines with a permanent marker, scan the drawing, cut out the black lines and paste them into a new image to eliminate the graph paper grid, adjust the color levels so that the black is truly black, fill in the walls, and finally use the script to convert it into a nicer looking map.
Thanks again Rob!
Based on a brilliant suggestion in this thread made by me, I have updated the script to allow selecting a channel to define the distortion range.
Here is a sample, showing the template, the selection I made (and saved), and the result. If you look at the channel dialog, you can see the saved selection:
Of course, in batch mode, this option is disabled.
Latest version is attached.
Magnificent. Saves a lot of time!
If you want to break up the background texture even more, try my Tile Shuffle script (link in the sig).
I selected a bit of your floor and ran the script on it:
Here's the original, i had to scale it down for obvious reasons:
So here's goofing around I did with this script in an attempt for an outdoor map... I think the shrubbery/undergrowth needs a little work but I was wondering what people thought of it... And I wanted to thank RobA for the script...
It certainly has a lot of potential. I'm assuming it generates random shapes that you can use as the forest. The pattern is tiling but what's important is the shape gen thing.
It's actually just a bit to render solid noise at the beginning, then crank the contrast all the way up, and run a displace on it... then run robA's script with a grass pattern and forrest pattern of preference (I forgot to make the forrest pattern seamless in the sample)
I thought if a) I could get a better forrest pattern squared away, and b) people liked what they saw... I'd write a mini tut...