Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Castle Ruins

  1. #1
      psyekl is offline
    Guild Member psyekl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    69

    Map Castle Ruins

    I've been working on a new series of maps detailing a ruined keep used in one of my games. As with all of my drawings, this map is meant to be offered for sale eventually so I can only post an unfinished image of one level. The drawing itself is pretty much completed; what is missing on this particular map are labels and descriptions, but it gives a good representation of my style. Enjoy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Castle Ruins-ruined-castle-1flr-small.jpg  
    Check out my works at http://psyekl.deviantart.com/gallery/#

    "Peace is bore on the backs of violent men."
    "Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company."
    "Stupid is a condition, ignorance is a choice."

  2. #2
      tilt is offline
    Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Trelleborg, Sweden
    Posts
    4,657
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    that looks really good, one thing sticks out though - the threes seem out of place since they use a much thicker line that all the other elements on the map
    regs tilt
    :: My art on Deviant Art :: My mapping blog tilts fantasy maps :: My work Catapult - Perry & Gehrke - EasyTruckIT ::
    :: Finished Maps :: WIP Cartographia - Breakwater -Market -Lands of Twilight -Battle City :: Competion maps Iron Giant ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

  3. #3
    Guild Artisan Aval Penworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    that looks really good, one thing sticks out though - the threes seem out of place since they use a much thicker line that all the other elements on the map
    Prolly just the default line width of the CAD program. Architects (my dad was one) often seem to represent fat edged trees FSR.

    Looks very nice tho. It actually shows where everything is, something we sometimes overlook in the name of artistry.
    Last edited by Aval Penworth; 05-20-2010 at 05:18 AM.
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

  4. #4
    Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    Posts
    9,463

    Default

    That castle outline seems familiar... did you base it off of a real plan?
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Ghoraja Juun, my largely stagnated campaign setting.

    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.



  5. #5
      psyekl is offline
    Guild Member psyekl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    69

    Default

    The overall shape of the plan is from the keep of Caernarvon Castle in Wales. I have a couple of books of castle plans that I often reference, unfortunately the plans in the book are extremely vague so I take a great amount of artistic liscense in creating whatever layout that suits me. Starting out with a general outline that I find pleasing is a common technique I use when creating plans. In this case, I didn't stray too far from the original inspiration.

    As for the trees: They are intended to be symbols of the tree's locations, not actual artistic renderings of trees. I purposefully made their outlines bold so that they would stand out against the plan to avoid any confusion. In drafting it is more important to maintain clarity and legibility than seek to maintain artistic quality; I guess old habits are hard to break lol.

    I did forget to mention that this is hand-drawn. No digital editing has been done other than to patch together the multiple scans of the 13"x19" original. I do plan on using Photoshop to add text and to do a little "cleanup".
    Check out my works at http://psyekl.deviantart.com/gallery/#

    "Peace is bore on the backs of violent men."
    "Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company."
    "Stupid is a condition, ignorance is a choice."

  6. #6
      tilt is offline
    Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Trelleborg, Sweden
    Posts
    4,657
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by psyekl View Post
    As for the trees: They are intended to be symbols of the tree's locations, not actual artistic renderings of trees. I purposefully made their outlines bold so that they would stand out against the plan to avoid any confusion. In drafting it is more important to maintain clarity and legibility than seek to maintain artistic quality; I guess old habits are hard to break lol.
    but in mapping your minor elements shouldn't steal the attention from the main ones
    regs tilt
    :: My art on Deviant Art :: My mapping blog tilts fantasy maps :: My work Catapult - Perry & Gehrke - EasyTruckIT ::
    :: Finished Maps :: WIP Cartographia - Breakwater -Market -Lands of Twilight -Battle City :: Competion maps Iron Giant ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

  7. #7
      psyekl is offline
    Guild Member psyekl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    but in mapping your minor elements shouldn't steal the attention from the main ones
    That is definitely a valid opinion, and looking at your graphic design work I can see that you do know a thing or two about composition. I have to say, however, that I still prefer the way I have drawn it here. The tree symbols were intended to "stand out" from the plan, and they do it nicely

    My train of thought for the way the trees are being represented here is that at this level of the plan the trees pass through the cutting plane. On the next map of the uppermost floors the trees will be drawn artistically as viewed from above, using a thinner line.
    Last edited by psyekl; 05-20-2010 at 03:36 PM. Reason: elaboration of purpose
    Check out my works at http://psyekl.deviantart.com/gallery/#

    "Peace is bore on the backs of violent men."
    "Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company."
    "Stupid is a condition, ignorance is a choice."

  8. #8
      ravells is offline
    Community Leader Gracious Donor ravells's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    10,902

    Default

    That's a really beautiful drawing. I was wondering how you got such wonderful hatching and tiles and thinking that it looked hand-done (too nice to be computer generated). Great work, psyekl!!

  9. #9
    Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    Posts
    9,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by psyekl View Post
    The overall shape of the plan is from the keep of Caernarvon Castle in Wales. I have a couple of books of castle plans that I often reference, unfortunately the plans in the book are extremely vague so I take a great amount of artistic liscense in creating whatever layout that suits me. Starting out with a general outline that I find pleasing is a common technique I use when creating plans. In this case, I didn't stray too far from the original inspiration..
    I thought it looked familiar, I think I've used that one myself.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Ghoraja Juun, my largely stagnated campaign setting.

    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.



  10. #10
      tilt is offline
    Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Trelleborg, Sweden
    Posts
    4,657
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by psyekl View Post
    That is definitely a valid opinion, and looking at your graphic design work I can see that you do know a thing or two about composition. I have to say, however, that I still prefer the way I have drawn it here. The tree symbols were intended to "stand out" from the plan, and they do it nicely

    My train of thought for the way the trees are being represented here is that at this level of the plan the trees pass through the cutting plane. On the next map of the uppermost floors the trees will be drawn artistically as viewed from above, using a thinner line.
    Thank you ... and in the end, what ever you like will be right for your map - its as simple as that
    regs tilt
    :: My art on Deviant Art :: My mapping blog tilts fantasy maps :: My work Catapult - Perry & Gehrke - EasyTruckIT ::
    :: Finished Maps :: WIP Cartographia - Breakwater -Market -Lands of Twilight -Battle City :: Competion maps Iron Giant ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •