[Region 1][Map 12] [Location 01] - Finger Islands
I'd like to map the finger Islands as a fortified trading post for civilized folk in the region.
I hope this is ok with people. Rav? ?
It might get done for the contest but then again it might not :).
I put a note in the wiki. Anyone with anything to say please pipe up. Assuming there are no issues, collaboration and suggestions from nearby areas\settlements are welcome.
Finger Peninsula - Help Welcome
This map is drawn from Section 12 of the CGWP 'Beastlands'. Ably and swiftly put together by Ravells. Thanks to everyone for their work and enthusiasm!
Its a friendly project open to anyone who sees a way to fit in... Come on, you know you want to. I hope this doesn't dissuade people but I need to get a feeling for a region before I can plunk down a city or start a map. The following is me thinking aloud for the purposes of the project. I will leave it to Ravells to approve the final version for the Wiki etc.... If there is something you don't like or doesn't sound authentic feel free to point it out!
Its nominally a June entry but the focus is the map not the contest.
Above you can see the map selection with regions numbered from left to right. People can contirbute to any region or work together if that's productive. We want to fit in with the base information from the Map project but mostly we want to use the information as a springboard not a wall.
This is an island peninsula on a large lake surrounded by swamp and forrest with nasty creatures and perilous danger. The water is fresh. The land is hilly.
I would like to keep this game system agnostic but if you are thinking in D20 terms thats probably ok.
1. The Beastlands - Everything in the area has to survive\thrive in the face of the beastlands.
- Chief challenges - Centaurs, Kalabar Swamp, Raiders on the lake?
2. This is probably the ideal village\city location - trees and a bay. If the region is safe this is where settlement will want to be.
3. A private lake! This may not be very deep and may flood seasonally. It might be the basis for a particular type of crop (Cranberries?) or a protected water zone if its deeper. This might really be an extended mudflat depending on the season.
4. Bay Choke Point- This is probably the most desirable fort location if the bay is important. The headland between 4 and 5 might also be a good more defendable city location.
5. Defensible Keep. The water surrounds this place accept for a small spur that attaches to the land. My guess is that for the lake to be navigable these islands are actually pretty rocky.
6. Finger Island (And the little islands around it) - if trade between shores is important and the land is really dangerous this might be a great site for a monastery and\or village. I estimate its roughly about 35x6 miles or 210 sq miles. Its not as small as you think.
7. The Far Shore - This leaves section the Beastlands and borders Groam. Trade? Population sources? If the Beastlands have mostly beasts maybe the islands are a refuge or a first step in settlment.
- Groam, Castaran, the Plague - silver prospectors?
Anyway thats the logic for this selection. Now to determine how it interacts with the region(s).
Opinions, contributions and Sophistry are welcome.
Tightening up distances etc....
So after looking at the work so far I went back to the Fractal Terrains file to tighten up scales and distances. FT gives me a much smaller scale and accordingly the main island is not 35 miles across but 18!
Here is a prettied up first draft with the work from FT.
I will marry the two versions together so that they fit stylistically before I'm done.
I think I will keep the FT scale though because it suits my purposes to be smaller.