The 10th and 11th Map-of-the-Week releases are dungeon plans for the lair of the dark draug Svurumnir. In the Jörðgarð (TM) campaign setting, a dark draug is very similar to a high-powered lich in such OGL 3.5 games as the Pathfinder (R) RPG, the True20 (TM) system or Dungeons & Dragons (R) 3.5.
Svurumnir's small dungeon consists of Svurumnir's tower, a tower for his red draug magi and a shabbily restored mill building that's the lair of the orcs who serve Svurumnir and his subservient reds draugs. This week's release includes an outdoor, top down view of the dungeon complex and the cellar, ground floor and upper floor views of the orc lair. Next week's release will offer the four levels of the two towers.
Only a small number of orcs, usually eight to 10, can be found at any one time in the lair.
• Cellar Level: The floor plans for the two towers and the mill building follow. The magi's towers have no cellars. The cellar of the mill building contains food and wine supplies for the orcs and a large holding cell with two bronze-barred doors. Four unanimated human skeletons are on the floor of the cell. These are the remains of a party of human treasure hunters that the orcs captured. Svurumnir had intended to keep them alive there, for future use in black necromantic experiments, but he forgot to tell the orcs to feed them. They died of starvation and thirst.
• Ground Floor - Mill Building: To the rear of the open ground floor are parts of the mill's inner workings and, in the rear wall, the shaft of the waterwheel that no longer exists. On the left side we see the orcs' sleeping bags. On the right side we find a wood stove for heating, an oven for cooking, the orcs' dining table and kitchen cupboards and the trapdoor to the cellar ladder. The stairway leads to the upper story.
• Upper Floor - Mill Building: The rear left is open. The mill works once reached up into this area. The rear right is mostly empty. The old grain chutes still are there. A double door for the no longer existing hoist is in the right wall. The room to the front left is a dark rider draug's chamber. It always is there. A dark rider draug who is not on patrol at the time uses the right chamber. All three dark rider draugs appear in their avatar forms. Their true bodies are hidden elsewhere.
You can get these plans in any either of two versions:
1. As JPG flat maps, each 1360 x 1020 pixels (4 MB), available here.
2. The original FM8 map in FMP format, fully editable. Because the various dungeon levels are layers of a single FM8 map file, this version includes both this week's and next week's dungeon levels. Download it from our Jörðgarð web page (34 MB). This version includes a PDF pamphlet that tells you how to use the layers that are built into the map.
Both versions are released for personal and commercial use under the Open Game License Version 1.0a, which you can read on the Jörðgarð web site.
To get the original FM8 map, go to the Jörðgarð web site:
Next Week: Svurumnir's Lair - the tower levels
The Vintyri (TM) Project