A Map of Brannstadt
Media: Inked lineart & Photoshop CS3
This was a commission like the map of Saren before it. It has been some time since I took on a hand-drawn project like this, and I'm certainly not accustomed to drawing maps in this fashion, but I felt it would lend to the authenticity of this medieval/fantasy game.
Some notes on Brannstadt:
- As noted in the legend, Brannstadt is capital in the vampiric realm of Rimwald. It is positioned deep within the countryside on the island continent of Ingelvartz, comparatively near to the source of its longest river, the Ingelsfoll.
- Brannstadt is named after its current custodians, the ancient Brann dynasty. It is they who ensure the safe keeping of the vampires' Maker - a powerful being who was left in Saren after the departure of the world's Guardians. It is also home to the country's most esteemed centres of culture and learning.
- Brannstadt is fortified, though not to the same extent as Rimwald's coastal towns. Accessible only by foot through the river-side Brannstrass and Riverpoint Roads, and the hilly Zeppel and Karsten Passes - or by water up the Ingelsfoll - the city's guardians have little cause to make more than basic defences. The city is surrounded to the north and west by the mountains of Luftridge, to the east by hills and dense forest, and to the south by rocky passes - not forgetting the river itself.
- Rarely amongst Saren's settlements, Brannstadt is largely devoid of markets and farms; this is due to the unique lifestyle of the vampires, who have no need for livestock, grain or commerce in such things. As immortals of taste, they do consider a need for artisan wares; Brannstadt is also host to premium slave fairs. Many of its large manors also keep their own 'livestock'.
- Much of the cities and towns of Rimwald are given over to churches, cemeteries and private crypts. As vampires bore of their lives, they may elect to return to the crypt for a set period of time; it is here that they place their trust in familiars, be they a lower caste of vampire or an enthralled family, chosen from the mortal races. Spiritual ceremonies of a sort are carried out at these churches - laying to rest those vampires who don't own a private grave - but the churches are also heavily fortified. Indeed their custodians often sit on the verge of insanity as their eternal wards lay vulnerable, just as we might regard our hospitals or nurseries.
Wow. That's awesome! Have some rep.
Very very awesome. Only thing in my mind is I'm not a fan of the bold lines, I rather thinner lines. But I believe it's more of a difference in personal aesthetic.
Dang, that's sweet. Only one thing I would tweak...the compass lines are way thinner than the other lines. Definitely snagged, though. Great job.
Very Very Nice. Repped. :)
Ooh, damn, you're right! Well spotted, and thank you, Ascension - that's me trying too hard to fit an existing graphic into the 'void' space I had. Noted for future so I don't make the same mistakes! Luckily I can fix that.
Originally Posted by Ascension
On the bolder lines.. that was pretty experimental on my part, as I've never done something like this before, but it started to make the most sense to me while I was drawing it. The bolder lines just helped me spot the building outlines much more easily when the map was still pure black and white. I can see that they might distract from features like the roads, so I'll take your point into consideration, Geamon.
Thank you, all! Most reassuring. :D
Very nice map! To bad that I can't zoom in more. Well done and repped!
Beautiful map Sinyo! You have really been doing some impressive work lately.
Very nice, my only complaint is that some of the fonts are hard to read.
Beautiful work! Have some rep!