Jörđgarđ Map of Week #109 - North Junction
With the 109th Map of the Week we take a look at the town center of North Junction, county seat of the Slovanian River County. The town extends
beyond the map's boundaries. The unnumbered buildings on the map also can be assumed to be residential. However, the game master should feel
free to identify these structures in any manner that he or she chooses.
Count Arnošt's Castle Complex:
1. Servants' Quarters.
2. Stable and Coachhouse.
3. Castle Building. The residence and offices of Count Arnošt are in this building. The 68-year-old count and his wife, Countess Vlasta, a 66
-year-old human female sorceress, dwell alone here. Arnošt's county minister Bonifác, a 58-year-old human male merchant, and his wife, Lada, a
54-year-old human female scholar, also live in the castle. Arnošt's court mage, Dalimil, an unmarried 72-year-old human male wizard, has
exclusive use of the castle tower. Dalimil is the only publicly know spellcaster of higher level in North Junction.
Distant Trails Trading:
4. Administrative Office. The manager of Distant Trails in North Junction is the 51-year-old Emanuel, a human male merchant. Who or what owns
this trading company is uncertain, but it seems certain that Arnošt has a substantial interest in it. Ostensibly, the company transports ore and
coal in heavy duty wagons from Mine Docks to Newhouse and bronze products and other wares back to Mine Docks on the return trip.
5. Wagon House.
Royal Trading Co.:
8. Administrative Office. Slovania's largest trading company is a national transportation operation jointly controlled by the crown, the four
counties and the Border March, with the king, the burgomaster, the counts and the margrave all having a say in its dealings. The manager in
North Junction is the 37-year-old Vilma, a human female merchant. She employs three clerks and a bookkeeper, all human male and female
merchants; two laborers, both human male and female commoners, a stable boy, a human male commoners.
9. Stable and Wagon House.
11. Administrative Building. The company's manager in North Junction is the 32-year-old Metoděj, a human male merchant. He employs a clerk and a bookkeeper, both human male and female merchants; two laborers, both human male and female commoners, and a stable boy, also a human male commoner.
12. Stable and Wagon House.
14. Bořek's Butcher Shop. Master Butcher Bořek, a 45-year-old human male artisan, slaughters local cattle, pork and poultry and boar and
venison brought in by hunters. He employs
the journeyman butcher Renáta, a 32-year-old human female artisan, and an apprentice butcher, Tadeáš, an 18-year-old human male commoner. He
also employs a salesperson and a laborer, both human male and female commoners. Bořek and his wife, Albína, a 44-year-old human female commoner,
live with their 17-year-old daughter, Ingrid, a human female commoner, in an apartment on the shop's second story.
15. Cobbler Jitka. Master Cobbler Jitka, a 50-year-old human female artisan and widow, shoes and boots the civilian and military population of
North Junction. She employs two journeyman cobblers, human male and female artisans, and two apprentice cobblers, human male and female
16. Julie's Maps. Master Cartographer Julie, a 44-year-old human female artisan, is Slovania's leading map maker. She pays several traveling
merchants and skáldar for the reliable and detailed information that she uses to make her maps. She can reasonably reliable maps of all of
Slovania and Windland and generally useable maps for the North Kingdom, southern areas within the ruins of the Ćsir Empire and the Fjörm River
Valley between Auđarhome and the desert ruins of Ćsir Sands. Julie employs two journeyman cartographers, human male and female artisans, and two
apprentice cartographers, human male and female commoners..
17. Bernard's Candles. With tallow from the rendering plant northeast of town and beeswax, Master Chandler Bernard, a 33-year-old human male
artisan, makes candles for much of Royal County. He employs two journeyman chandlers, human male and female artisans, and an apprentice
chandler, a human female commoner.
18. Diana's Bakery. Master Baker Diana, a 44-year-old human female artisan, is the sole provider of commercial bread and other baked goods in
North Junction. She employs two journeyman bakers, both human male artisans; an apprentice baker, a human female commoner, and two salespersons,
human male and female commoners. Diana rents out the two small apartments above the bakery.
20. Lenka's Textiles. In this sizeable textile mill, Master Weaver Lenka, a 52-year-old human female artisan, weaves linen from flax and wool
and makes a wide variety of clothing sold throughout Slovania and exported to Windland. She employs two other master weavers, her son Josef, a
31-year-old human male artisan, and Luboš, a 40-year-old human male artisan. She also employs five journeyman weavers, all human male and female
artisans; two apprentices, human male and female commoners; a bookkeeper, a human male merchant, two salespersons, both human male and female
commoners, and a laborer, human male commoner
21. Northflood Smithy. This operation is owned and operated by Master Smith Heřman, a 61-year-old human male artisan. His chief aide and
second master is his 39-year-old daughter Eliška, a human female artisan. They employ four journeyman smiths, all human male and female
artisans; two apprentice smiths, human male and female commoners, and two laborers, both human male and female commoners. The smithy does all
types of work, from making and repairing weapons and armor to the manufacture of farm implements and the shoeing of horses. The garrison is the
smithy's biggest customer.
22. Marcel's House. This building serves as the house of Master Carpenter Marcel, the 48-year-old human male artisan who owns and operates the
River Woodworks carpentry and joining operation (Location No. 23).
23. River Woodworks. This is a combined carpentry and joiner operation. Master Carpenter Marcel, a 48-year-old human male artisan, is the
owner. The company does on-site carpentry and makes a wide variety of wood products including furniture and barrels. Marcel's employees include
the Master Joiner Johana, a 37-year-old human female artisan, and Master Cooper Havel, a 41-year-old human male artisan. He also employs three
journeyman carpenters, four journeyman joiners and a journeyman cooper, all human male and female artisans, and two apprentice carpenters, two
apprentice joiners, an apprentice cooper and two laborers, all human male and female commoners.
24. Drunken Apprentice Tavern. One could say that owner and barkeep Vařinec, a 42-year-old human male commoner, named this public house after
himself. More than 20 years ago, Master Miller Ambrož threw Vařinec out as an apprentice miller in the Northflood Grain Mill (Location No. 25).
The reason was that Vařinec regularly returned to the mill somewhat inebriated after the noon lunch break and then tended to fall asleep on the
job. Within a week after losing his apprentice's job, Vařinec inherited the tavern from his father, who died unexpectedly. Rather than being a
miller, Vařinec decided to become a barkeep. Despite the fact that he always has a bit of a buzz, he runs the Drunken Apprentice successfully.
Vařinec works the tap, serving lager beer from the Island Inn brewery across the street at three copper pieces per pint/half-liter tankard.
Shortly before opening hour, his wife, Aneta, a 39-year-old human female commoner, buys dark rye bread from Diana's Bakery (Location No. 18) and
cold cuts from Bořek's Butcher Shop (Location No. 14). She then makes bread boards, adding butter and dill pickles. The bread boards sell for a
bronze piece each.
25. Northflood Mill. Master Miller Ambrož, a 46-year-old human male artisan, owns North Junction's grain and vegetable oil mill. He charges
farmers a milling fee of 10% by weight. Ambrož employs the journeyman miller Ivana, a 26-year-old human female artisan; the apprentice miller
Mojmír, a 17-year-old human male commoner, and the laborer Aleksandra, a 24-year-old human female commoner.
26. Millstream and Dam. The millstream has been channelized with a stone wall.
27. Antonie's Wagon Works. Master Wainwright Antonie, a 49-year-old human female artisan, builds the rolling stock used in the North Junction
area. Her main products are wagons, coaches and wheelbarrows. She employs two journeyman wainwrights, human male and female artisans, and two
apprentice wainwrights and two laborers, all human male and female commoners. Antonie's husband, the 48-year-old human male merchant Radek, runs
the business side of the wagon works and he keeps the books.
28.-29. Pavlina's Sawmill. Master Sawyer Pavlina, a 46-year-old human female artisan, took over the sawmill after the death of her husband in
an accident. She is the sole source of lumber in the greater North Junction area. Pavlina employs a journeyman sawyer, human male artisan, and
an apprentice sawyer and laborer, both human male and female commoners.
30. Northflood Creek.
31.-33. Island Inn.
31. Inn. The innkeeper Mikuláš, a 41-year-old human male merchant, owns and operates the only North Junction inn that accepts regular overnight
guests. His single rooms cost 8 bronze pieces per night. The public room serves the inn's own lager beer at 3 bronze pieces per pint/half-liter
tankard. Meals run between a silver piece and 9 bronze pieces per entrée. Mikuláš takes care of the inn's business affairs. His younger
brother, Záviš, a 36-year-old human male commoner, is in charge of the beer tap. Záviš' wife, the 34-year-old Master Cook Agáta, a human female
artisan, is in charge of the kitchen. Their daughter, Olga, a 16-year-old human female commoner, is the only waitress, but Mikuláš will double
as a waiter when business is heavy. None of the family members who work in the inn offer after-hours services. Mikuláš, his wife Eliška, their
daughter, Irma, and his mother. Romana, live in an apartment on the inn's third story. Eliška is a master smith who works in her father's
Northflood Smithy (Location No. 21).
32. Stable. Guests' coaches and horses can be kept here. Three stable boys and girls, all human commoners, are on duty in three different
shifts 24 hours a day. The daily stable fee is one bronze piece per coach and two bronze pieces per horse.
33. Brewhouse. Mikuláš' mother, the 62-year-old human female artisan Romana, is the master brewwife. She is training her granddaughter, the
17-year-old journeyman brewwife Irma, a human female artisan, to be her successor. The two brew a dark golden, well-hopped lager beer.
34.-37. Junction Inn.
34. Inn. The inn is owned by Count Arnošt. Public guests are not accepted. Some of the rooms are rented on a permanent basis to important
persons from elsewhere who come frequently to North Junction. Others are let as guest rooms, but only to those who are guests of or visitors to
the count, usually in town for business reasons. Room bookings are made by the castle (Location No. 3) staff. Arnošt's innkeeper is the
unmarried, 54-year-old human female merchant Eleonora. She works only on the business side of the inn and in service to the guests who have
rooms there. The guest rooms all are on the second story. An armed guard controls entry to the stairway. The ground floor includes the public
room, a fest hall that can be reserved, the kitchen and jakes and Eleonora's office and quarters. Eleonora and almost all of the inn's staff are
immigrants from Windland. That, in turn, is the result of Arnošt's desire to make his inn an elite house with gourmet dining. To that end, he
recruited experienced and talent members of the Windland gastronomy. Meals in the public room are the creations of the master cooks Vladan and
Karina, a husband and wife team, both 37-year-old human artisans, also lured by the count from the finest eatery in Tmavústí to North Junction.
From the same inn, he hired master brewwife Izabela, a still-single, 32-year-old human female artisan. She brews a dark golden light bock beer
that is unique in Slovania, blending the sweet taste of malt made from the finest brewer's barley with a strong bitter hops and a small portion
of aroma hops from the forbidden but high quality hops gardens of the vampire-ruled North Kingdom. However, those who can afford it tend to
prefer the premium wines from Arnošt's own vineyards on the River Storming east of Desert's End in the south of his county. Meals run from 1 to
6 gold pieces, wines cost between 3 and 200 gold pieces for a liter bottle, schnapps and liqueurs cost between 1 silver piece and 5 gold pieces
for a shot/100-cl glass and Junction Bock goes for 4 copper pieces per pint/half-liter tankard.
35. Stable. Guests' coaches and horses can be kept here. Three stable boys and girls, all human commoners, are on duty in three different
shifts 24 hours a day. The daily stable fee is included in the price of the room.
36. Brewhouse. The most popular brewery in Tmavústí in Windland belonged to the Salty Sailor inn there, until it and the entire inn complex on
the waterfront were destroyed in a strange fire whose origins never were investigated. Arnošt hired the ashen brewery's brewwife, Klára, a 63-
year-old human female master artisan, who came to North Junction with her journeyman brewwife, her daughter Izabela, now also a human female
master artisan at age 32. In North Junction, Klára began brewing special light bock that was a legend on the high seas of Blárheim. She passed
on her recipe to daughter Izabella, and when Klára died a year ago, Izabella succeeded her as brewwife. The brewery also employs two human male
laborers. After 18 bells (6 p.m.), locals can buy Junction Bock at the brewery for 7 copper pieces per quart/liter. Customers must bring their
37. Distillery. Arnošt has orchards and berry farms west of North Junction. Master Distiller Alois, a 51-year-old human male artisan from
Tmavústí, distills the juice of the fruits and berries into schnapps and liqueurs. His employees include the Slovánski journeyman distiller
Karel, a 30-year-old human male artisan, and three laborers, all human male and female commoners. Officially, the distillery is a part of the
inn complex, but it really is more of a commercial business in its own right. Alois' distillates are available throughout much of Slovania.
They even are sold at marketplaces and by wandering peddlers.
38. Inland Clothier. Master Seamstress Anastázie, a 55-year-old human female artisan, is the best local customer of Lenka's Textiles (Location
No. 20). Her shop makes all kinds of clothing including military uniforms for the garrison. Her tailors and seamstresses make both ready-to-
wear clothing for the market and custom, made-to-order-and-fit clothing. Anastázie employs three journeyman tailors, human male artisans; two
journeyman seamstresses, human female artisans; eight apprentice tailors and seamstresses, human male and female commoners, and four salespersons
and laborers, also human male and female commoners.
39.-40. Town Hall Complex. The complex consists of a coach house and stable (Location No. 39) and the administrative building (Location No.
40). The town jail is in the cellar of the latter. The town rule is in the hands of the count's appointed Burgomaster Liliana, a 52-year-old
human female merchant. The city hall staff includes the burgomaster, eight clerks, all human male and female merchants; the six members of the
town watch, all human male and female warriors and fighters; three jailors, all human male and female fighters, and eight laborers, all human
male and female commoners.
41. Amalie's Pub. The 67-year-old retired human female ranger Amalie owns the popular pub. Amalie opens each day at 16 bells (4 p.m.). She
serves Junction Bock beer from the Junction Inn brewery at 7 bronze pieces per quart/liter tankard. When one considers that the bock beer has
nearly 7% alcohol, one tankard already is pretty heady fare. She offers nothing smaller than the quart/liter tankards. Beginning at 18 bells (6
p.m.), the pub begins serving fish boards – filets of smoked trout from the Northflood on rye bread with creamed horseradish. They cost 5 bronze
pieces each. Amalie has two employees. Sabina, a 19-year-old human female commoner, works as a waitress. Karolína, a 32-year-old human female
commoner, makes the fish boards and also helps Sabina with waitressing when it's busy.
42. Garrison. Commandant Anežka, a 44-year-old human female warrior, heads a company of 32 soldiers and two middle-level war wizards. The
garrison is more involved in police work than military operations. Anežka is responsible for maintaining the peace in the settlements in the
surrounding area, but the burgomaster also can call her to duty in North Junction if the town watch needs reinforcement. Another lesser known
duty is guarding the large store of reserve weapons that Arnošt has stored in the garrison.
43. House of Healing. Two human healers, the 46-year-old Vlastimil and his 47-year-old wife Milada, operate this herbal clinic. Vlastimil is
the chief healer for patients. Two other healers, both human females, the 29-year-old Antonie and the 36-year-old Kristýna, also heal patients.
Milada is in charge of the apothecary operation. She and the 33-year-old human male healer Vašek make the herbal medicines and remedies that
area used in treatment and sold over the counter. Milada has no herbal farms of her own. She buys raw herbs from peddlers.
44. Market. Both locals and traveling peddlers offer an ever-changing assortment of wares on the market square. Not all of them are legal, but
Count Arnošt has ordered Burgomaster Liliana to not control the matter too strictly. Anyone who wants to set up a stand on the market square
needs to buy a permit from town hall. A permit costs a silver piece per day, three gold pieces a week or 10 gold pieces for a month.
You can get the map in two versions:
1. The Fractal Mapper (TM) 8 version in FMP format, fully editable, from our Jörđgarđ web page (33 MB).
2. As a JPG flat map of 3000 Pixels x 2400 Pixels (3.4 MB), available above.
Both versions are released for personal and commercial use under the Open Game License Version 1.0a, which you can read on the Jörđgarđ website
The Jörđgarđ World
Next week: Drunken Apprentice Tavern