Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: My very first map

  1. #1
      Wired is offline
    Guild Member Wired's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    86

    Map My very first map

    This is pretty much my very first complete map ever. It's been done with CC3 in the what I think excellent Pete Felon style and shows the Free City of Myr and the surrounding area for a planned campaign in the "A Song of Ice and Fire" setting. Criticism and advice are welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My very first map-free-city-myr-map.jpg  

  2. #2
      Ascension is offline
    Community Leader Ascension's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    St. Charles, MO
    Posts
    8,216

    Post

    That's a pretty nice isometric style map, far better than anything ISO that I've ever done. Good job

  3. #3
      Redrobes is offline
    Software Dev/Rep Redrobes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,793
    Blog Entries
    4

    Post

    Good work Wired. Thats a real neat job for a first map.

  4. #4
      NeonKnight is offline
    Community Leader NeonKnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Surrey, Canada, EH!
    Posts
    5,025

    Post

    Beautiful map, and an excellent rendition of the Pete Fenlon Style. Have you ever played around with the Sarah Wroot map-pack from the 2007 Annual?
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

    Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

    Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

  5. #5
      jfrazierjr is offline
    Community Leader jfrazierjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Apex, NC USA
    Posts
    2,963

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Wired View Post
    This is pretty much my very first complete map ever. It's been done with CC3 in the what I think excellent Pete Felon style and shows the Free City of Myr and the surrounding area for a planned campaign in the "A Song of Ice and Fire" setting. Criticism and advice are welcome.

    Welcome to the Guild Wired! Very nice map. ISO mountains + ISO trees = everything right with the world. In my personal preference though, the trees are way to densely packed together,especially in the upper right of the map.

    Anyway, post tons more! And if you need any inspiration or tips, be sure to check out the tutorial section.

    Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

  6. #6
      Naeddyr is offline
    Guild Adept Naeddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    289

    Default

    That is a good first map indeed.

    My quibble-of-the-day is... Uh... The cities are too red? Yeah, that. A bit indistinct, due to JPG-artefaction?

  7. #7
      Wired is offline
    Guild Member Wired's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    86

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    In my personal preference though, the trees are way to densely packed together,especially in the upper right of the map.

    Joe
    I agree with you there, but I'm not certain as to whether I can even change that. The CC3 toolset allows you to draw larger swaths of territory basically with one brush instead of modelling them all individually. In the normal CC3 style that works okay, but with the Pete Fenlon style it always looks this densely packed.

    Anyway, post tons more! And if you need any inspiration or tips, be sure to check out the tutorial section.
    I surely will. Right now I'm working on a larger map showing all those Nine Free Cities, still with the Fenlon style.
    Last edited by Wired; 06-27-2008 at 07:08 AM.

  8. #8
      Wired is offline
    Guild Member Wired's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    86

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Naeddyr View Post
    That is a good first map indeed.

    My quibble-of-the-day is... Uh... The cities are too red? Yeah, that. A bit indistinct, due to JPG-artefaction?
    I used the default red for the Fenlon style. Maybe something closer to crimson would have been better, yes.

  9. #9
      Wired is offline
    Guild Member Wired's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    86

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    Beautiful map, and an excellent rendition of the Pete Fenlon Style. Have you ever played around with the Sarah Wroot map-pack from the 2007 Annual?
    Not yet, I'm just getting started with the standard CC3 and the Pete Fenlon styles, but it looks interesting enough.

  10. #10
      jfrazierjr is offline
    Community Leader jfrazierjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Apex, NC USA
    Posts
    2,963

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Wired View Post
    I agree with you there, but I'm not certain as to whether I can even change that. The CC3 toolset allows you to draw larger swaths of territory basically with one brush instead of modelling them all individually. In the normal CC3 style that works okay, but with the Pete Fenlon style it always looks this densely packed.

    I surely will. Right now I'm working on a larger map showing all those Nine Free Cities, still with the Fenlon style.

    I have no idea how CC3 works. I know with Fractal Mappers "fill with symbols tool" you can set a density so that your items can get a bit of breathing room if you like. In any event, still a very nice map.

    Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •