Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Request Help Buliding GIMP and dependencies

  1. #1
      jfrazierjr is offline
    Community Leader jfrazierjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Apex, NC USA
    Posts
    2,963

    Post Request Help Buliding GIMP and dependencies

    Ok, so I am a software developer in some means of the words, but I have never worked with C/C++ directly. The situation is that I just got a new laptop with Vista 64 Bit. Gimp installs without a problem and is usable, Python installs with no problem. However, the Python binary libraries won't install, PyCairo, etc. So, that means no PyScripts for my GIMP enjoyment. While not a deal breaker, I would love to get it going so I can get back up to what I had with my old computer (work machine.) on my new machine (personal.)

    So... what I was wondering was if anyone had built the GIMP stuff from source who might be able to help me out. While I have no problem with doing whatever work is required, as I said, I don't know didly about c/c++, so help would have to include getting and setting up a free compiler that would do the job.


    On a side note, there is a project (http://gimp-vs.sourceforge.net/) to build GIMP in Visual C++ and host binaries all with python support pre bulit in(I assume that means one exe file to install will load everything, but not sure). Sadly, this project seems to be on hold for a while. I hope they fix this soon and that it would fix my problems, but with few updates on the site, I won't hold my breath. Of course, if no one here can help me, then I might just have to wait.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

  2. #2
      Redrobes is offline
    Software Dev/Rep Redrobes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,765
    Blog Entries
    4

    Post

    I would be guessing here, not having ever installed extra libs for gimp but you would probably have to match 32bit and 64bit together so 64 bit gimp would probably need 64bit libs etc. Otherwise don't really know.

    If you need to know whether the gimp is running in 32 or 64 bit then you can run up the process explorer and it might tell you. Certainly the process explorer from sys internals (.com) will tell you.

    If your on a 64 bit PC and you need to run in 32bit environment then you can run up IE in 32 bit. There's shortcuts for each type. From there you can launch installers and stuff and it should install into the 32 bit area or 64 depending on which IE you ran.

    I am sure that somebody out there has done it correctly - prob just a case of searching for the chappie who managed it. I shouldn't think you would have to build it.

  3. #3
      jfrazierjr is offline
    Community Leader jfrazierjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Apex, NC USA
    Posts
    2,963

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post

    If your on a 64 bit PC and you need to run in 32bit environment then you can run up IE in 32 bit. There's shortcuts for each type. From there you can launch installers and stuff and it should install into the 32 bit area or 64 depending on which IE you ran.
    Not sure what you mean here. Are you talking about using some type of emulation built into the exe properties to tell it to try to run as 32 bit instead of 64?
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

  4. #4
      Redrobes is offline
    Software Dev/Rep Redrobes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,765
    Blog Entries
    4

    Post

    ok, I run XP x64 - the 64 bit version of XP but not vista though I think I am correct in saying that what follows is the same. You can check it anyway.

    In your windows partition - say C: - there is a program files and a program files x86. There is also a system32 and another system folder. Bizarrely the system32 folder contains the 64 bit stuff (dll's etc).

    Anyway, when you install stuff which is 64 bit it uses the program files directory but if you install a 32 bit app then it goes into the program files x86. The OS has some environment vars to point to the correct 'program files' directory. Those environment vars change depending on the environment - either 32bit or 64 bit. So when a 32 bit app asks for some MFC then it goes off the system dir but when a 64 bit app asks for the very same dll name then it looks in system32.

    So what I was thinking was that if you mix the 32 and 64 bit versions of the app and the libraries then maybe its looking for them but they are not there.

    Basically, check that the gimp is in the right program files folder and also check that the libs are going (or looking to go) to the right folder too.

  5. #5
      jfrazierjr is offline
    Community Leader jfrazierjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Apex, NC USA
    Posts
    2,963

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    ok, I run XP x64 - the 64 bit version of XP but not vista though I think I am correct in saying that what follows is the same. You can check it anyway.

    In your windows partition - say C: - there is a program files and a program files x86. There is also a system32 and another system folder. Bizarrely the system32 folder contains the 64 bit stuff (dll's etc).

    Anyway, when you install stuff which is 64 bit it uses the program files directory but if you install a 32 bit app then it goes into the program files x86. The OS has some environment vars to point to the correct 'program files' directory. Those environment vars change depending on the environment - either 32bit or 64 bit. So when a 32 bit app asks for some MFC then it goes off the system dir but when a 64 bit app asks for the very same dll name then it looks in system32.

    So what I was thinking was that if you mix the 32 and 64 bit versions of the app and the libraries then maybe its looking for them but they are not there.

    Basically, check that the gimp is in the right program files folder and also check that the libs are going (or looking to go) to the right folder too.



    It's not even getting that far. The insttructions say to install Python first, then GTK, then the 3 py* installs since they add supporting libraries. Finally install GIMP. Well, when I try to install the 3 py* installs, they error out with less than helpful error messages....
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

  6. #6
      Redrobes is offline
    Software Dev/Rep Redrobes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,765
    Blog Entries
    4

    Post

    Sounds like its nothing like what I thought it could have been then. I'll have a look but both Python and Gimp are not my specialty.

  7. #7
      Redrobes is offline
    Software Dev/Rep Redrobes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,765
    Blog Entries
    4

    Post

    A chap has collected a set of versions which work together well and comments say that its been used in Vista. The zip of all pytho bits are here:

    http://www.deviantart.com/download/7..._resources.zip

    and the version of Gimp it was checked with was here:
    http://downloads.sourceforge.net/gim...i686-setup.exe

    These are 32 bit apps and the instructions on how to install them are contained in the amusing named file:
    IDIOTS NEVER READ THIS.txt

    It seems like a completely different set of installs to that which you mentioned so give this one a go and see if it works.

    Edit -- It mentions that you must install Gimp after python perhaps that is it.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 08-29-2008 at 07:40 PM.

  8. #8
      jfrazierjr is offline
    Community Leader jfrazierjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Apex, NC USA
    Posts
    2,963

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    A chap has collected a set of versions which work together well and comments say that its been used in Vista. The zip of all pytho bits are here:

    http://www.deviantart.com/download/7..._resources.zip

    and the version of Gimp it was checked with was here:
    http://downloads.sourceforge.net/gim...i686-setup.exe

    These are 32 bit apps and the instructions on how to install them are contained in the amusing named file:
    IDIOTS NEVER READ THIS.txt

    It seems like a completely different set of installs to that which you mentioned so give this one a go and see if it works.

    Edit -- It mentions that you must install Gimp after python perhaps that is it.

    Yep, that's ultimately the resource I was using for the install process. Pertty much followed it like that both times. Oh well.. I guess I don't get to use Python scripts with GIMP.. bummer. Thanks for trying RR.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •