Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Paint.net anyone?

  1. #1
      BlueDay is offline
    Guild Novice BlueDay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    15

    Post Paint.net anyone?

    Although I doubt it would be good for mapping, possibly but I do not really know. I was wondering if anyone here KNOWS anything about paint.net as a program..

    I would love to find you all links, but I am extremely tired and need sleep, I merely posted this as a last thought of the morning before I got my power nap in. (I work nights.)


    EDIT: The topic name should be Paint.net, that just shows how tired I am.
    Sometimes when I feel really alone, I think about how aggravating it would be to have the company of an idiot. Then, everything is okay.

  2. #2
      Alfar is offline
    Guild Adept Alfar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    272

    Default

    I've used paint.net a few times, but I get frustrated with it too quickly for it to be of any use. This is probably because I've used Photoshop and Gimp (Also free and does what you need ) before, and the way paint.net handles layers and selections is... different.

    I won't put the program down, and I do know quite a few that use it (though not for mapping), it's just not for me.

  3. #3
      Korash is offline
    Community Leader Korash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    1,309

    Post

    There are a few here who use PdN for mapping (PeaceHeather for one - do a member search) and have gotten some nice results. There are even a few tuts for it. That been said, most ppl here use either Gimp, Photoshop or the CC3 suite, so most of our tuts are for these progs. I have found that it it not neccessarily the prog that gets the results, rather your ability to use it that makes things look good. Gimp and Photoshop use simular methods (function names might be different and such), and I have heard that PdN can do simular stuff but the methods are not so familiar. If you are familiar with PdN, I would suggest looking at some of the tuts and figure out how PdN handles the methods mentioned for the other progs.

    And Welcome to the guild
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

    Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

  4. #4
      Mark Oliva is offline
    Publisher Mark Oliva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Altershausen, Northern Bavaria
    Posts
    653

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDay View Post
    Although I doubt it would be good for mapping, possibly but I do not really know. I was wondering if anyone here KNOWS anything about paint.net as a program.
    We use Paint.net in combination with Fractal Mapper 8 to make raster symbols (FM8 and CC3 jargon) or objects (Dundjinni jargon). We should have a tutorial (PDF) finished before year's end.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

  5. #5
      BlueDay is offline
    Guild Novice BlueDay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Thanks guys, this is the exact input I wanted from this! So helpful =D!
    Sometimes when I feel really alone, I think about how aggravating it would be to have the company of an idiot. Then, everything is okay.

  6. #6
      zenram is offline
    Guild Journeyer zenram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    174

    Post

    I use it when i need something quick and not so complicated, like geometrical objets and the like.

    My work is under CC licences, you can see wich one apply in the work itself, if there is no CC logo, you can assume is an: Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported licence

    Need more rights, just mail me and we can chat about it.

  7. #7
    Guild Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Indiana, the bipolar state
    Posts
    72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Korash View Post
    There are a few here who use PdN for mapping (PeaceHeather for one - do a member search) and have gotten some nice results. There are even a few tuts for it. [...] And Welcome to the guild
    Aww shucks - it's been forever since I've been on the forums and someone still remembers me?
    I use PDN pretty much exclusively. GIMP didn't make sense to me, and while the bias on the forums leans pretty heavily toward it, I'm content where I am - just stubborn, I guess. Most of the tutorials can be adapted to PDN without too much struggle; the program itself admits that it doesn't have much "out of the box" but it does support user-generated tools and such, and once those are downloaded they are great.

    I won't get into a "whose is better" argument about the different programs out there, because I don't use them and I know everyone has different tastes. Korash is dead on about something else - more than anything, it seems to be less about what program you're using and more about your comfort level with that program, that gets the result you're after. But Paint.NET works just fine for me, and I plan to ocntinue to translate all these pesky GIMP tutorials over into PDN to get pretty much the same results.

    Cheers!
    Heather

  8. #8
      Korash is offline
    Community Leader Korash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    1,309

    Default

    Lo there Peace

    'course I remember you. You were the one that showed me the error of my ways concerning PdN. It was one of the two progs suggested to me when I first asked ppl about a prog to make maps. I downloaded it (not knowing about the add-ons) and found that some features that I expected were not there so dumped it and went to the next suggestion (Gimp), You showed me that maybe I should have kept it for a bit longer. Things like that stick. Not so much other stuff....(ask my wife....)

    Anyhoot...So when are you gonna post some more of those translations......?
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

    Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

  9. #9
    Guild Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Indiana, the bipolar state
    Posts
    72

    Default

    I wasn't sure there would be a demand for translated tutorials, but if people want them I'll be happy to give it a shot. I'm currently relearning the program's capabilities myself, as I put mapping down for awhile and pursued other projects. The newest round of plugins for PDN are also giving me something to chew on, as some are completely new and I still need to figure out their capabilities, while others are extensions/improvements of plugins I already have. *shrug*

    But yeah, if people are interested I suppose I could put something together again.

  10. #10
      euio is offline
    Guild Member euio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    99

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceHeather View Post
    Aww shucks - it's been forever since I've been on the forums and someone still remembers me?
    I use PDN pretty much exclusively. GIMP didn't make sense to me, and while the bias on the forums leans pretty heavily toward it, I'm content where I am - just stubborn, I guess. Most of the tutorials can be adapted to PDN without too much struggle; the program itself admits that it doesn't have much "out of the box" but it does support user-generated tools and such, and once those are downloaded they are great.

    I won't get into a "whose is better" argument about the different programs out there, because I don't use them and I know everyone has different tastes. Korash is dead on about something else - more than anything, it seems to be less about what program you're using and more about your comfort level with that program, that gets the result you're after. But Paint.NET works just fine for me, and I plan to ocntinue to translate all these pesky GIMP tutorials over into PDN to get pretty much the same results.

    Cheers!
    Heather
    Oh cool, I'm in pretty much the exact same boat with PDN!

    You can definitely make maps on par with those made in Photoshop/GIMP with it. Occasionally, there will be something you can't find a way to exactly replicate, but usually there's either a plugin you can download to give you whatever you need or you can make up a workaround without too much extra work.

    Maybe I ought to do a PDN tutorial of my style... (not that it's all that unique, except in the specifics of making things.)
    Last edited by euio; 02-13-2011 at 05:23 PM.
    One of those Alternate Earth History people.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •