I've been on a steampunk kick lately and enjoying it. I put together some steampunk wallpaper earlier today and was looking for more stuff, when I decided it would be good to develop a method to make something real into steampunk.
I grabbed a picture of the Hadron collider and went to town...
1) Find picture of machinery you want to "steampunk".
2) Desaturate it.
3) Add a layer below and cover with the color and texture of parchment you'd like as a background color.
4) Go back to the machine layer and change the the layer style to "multiply".
5) Merge the two layers.
6) Image/Adjustments/Brightness/Contrast - bump down the brightness to taste and bump up the contrast.
7) Filter/Noise/Add Noise/25% Gaussian.
Looks cool. Definitely steampunkish...which is hard to do with modern tech. Nice job.
Has a definite Geiger feel too, at least to me.
Amazingly effective for such a simple treatment. Definitely steampunkish.
Neat idea, have to give this a try sometime - thanks for posting.
You could totally overlay an Oblivion gate onto that thing and make it look like a creepy freakin' eye...
That is cool. Thanks for the instructions on how you did it.