Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: help with identifying city inset maps

  1. #11
      ravells is offline
    Community Leader Gracious Donor ravells's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    10,905

    Default

    I've just come to this late. Beautiful map - it has a real 1930's Indiana Jones feel to it. I would keep it visual, lose the labels for the pull-outs and have a small graphic of Africa next to each of the pull outs with the relevant area filled in red with a black outline. That would reduce the clutter on the main board.

    An alternative would be to border the relevant areas with different colours with matching colour borders on the pull outs. Or you might even want to go for a subtle variation of fill colours.

    best and once again, beautiful map, Beals.

  2. #12
      RjBeals is offline
    Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Spartanburg, SC
    Posts
    381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    ...I would keep it visual, lose the labels for the pull-outs and have a small graphic of Africa next to each of the pull outs with the relevant area filled in red with a black outline. That would reduce the clutter on the main board..
    Thanks for the compliments ravells. The only problem with your suggestion is then you have no way to identify what the conflict was. Like the Blood Diamond mines, you wouldn't get that association with Sierra Leone if it was just a map image. I guess unless you kept the description, but just replaced the title with the minimap image, but then you would have 8 mini-maps scattered around the map also. I want people who play on this map to perhaps learn something also. In fact when I started, my plan was to have the conflict zones, with small blurbs about the conflicts, but there was just no way i could fit all that. Anyway, i'm fairly happy with the banners right now.

    Thanks again for the feedback. Those types of ideas where what i was hoping for.

  3. #13
      ravells is offline
    Community Leader Gracious Donor ravells's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    10,905

    Default

    sorry, I wasn't being clear. You can keep the conflict text, the objective is to remove the clutter from the main board (if that is important), but you can keep the text for the insets. I've done a quickie of what I had in mind using your map (hope you don't mind)... if you look at Algeria that will give the idea.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails help with identifying city inset maps-africa1.jpg  

  4. #14
      cfds is offline
    Guild Member cfds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    96

    Default

    The map looks great. My only issue is: Why does the Algerian colonial revolt take place in Marocco? Is it weird historical naming or an error in the map?

  5. #15
      RjBeals is offline
    Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Spartanburg, SC
    Posts
    381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cfds View Post
    The map looks great. My only issue is: Why does the Algerian colonial revolt take place in Marocco? Is it weird historical naming or an error in the map?
    ha. those are the kinds of glaring mistakes I'm known to make. You are so correct. I'll need to move the conflict zone over to the correct country. Thanks cfds. I've got a handful of people I've been working with, and nobody has mentioned that.

  6. #16
      RjBeals is offline
    Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Spartanburg, SC
    Posts
    381

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    sorry, I wasn't being clear. You can keep the conflict text, the objective is to remove the clutter from the main board (if that is important), but you can keep the text for the insets. I've done a quickie of what I had in mind using your map (hope you don't mind)... if you look at Algeria that will give the idea.
    Well - the only problem with that, is that you've enlarged the map. I have a max of 1000 pixels to work with, and the map will be used on a computer screen only, so 72 dpi is it. If I have a map that small, I'm afraid that it will not be visible. Thanks for the idea rav.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •