Create Land Mass?
I know this is silly and ive been reading the tutorials but for some reason it is not sinking in. The tutorials use clouds in order to create mountains and i understand that. But, how do i create land mass? Does it have to be around the cloud layer?
I am using Photoshop
Using the clouds filter is very versatile. Many people use clouds (and difference clouds) to make landmasses coupled with a threshold; this technique allows easy creation of randomised (and thus more realistic) coastlines. The threshold will you to create a black and white image (where often black is sea and white land). You can then use masks, and all sorts of techniques, to add colours, textures and so forth to represent terrain.
I highly suggest that you follow Ascension's Atlas Style Tutorial for Photoshop. Even if its not a style that you like the techniques you will learn will be quite helpful.
Tear also has written an excellent tutorial - Saderan.
If you need some more help, don't hesitate to ask (PM me if you want)!
I will try to do the tutorial today but to clarify land creation, it is just random based off of difference clouds, correct? along with that you it also randomly places mountains.
Ill give it a try! thank you!
Dang, this is much harder than i was expecting. I am doing Saderan's Tutorial and i just dont have the artistic talent like he does! Wow!
It takes a lot of practice to get as good as some people on this site. Don't let it dishearten you, instead be inspired.
Originally Posted by Joe Smith
Landmass doesn't have to be completely random.
The easiest technique to creating landmass is (I think this same technique is done in the Saderan tutorial):
- Create a layer, named "Cloud" and render clouds by going Filter > Render > Clouds.
- Create a layer called "Refine by Painting". Set this layer to Multiply. Reduce layer opacity to 50%.
- Create a Threshold layer - above all other layers (use the small black and white circle at the bottom of the layers window in Photoshop).
- Select the Brush tool. Set a low opacity such as below 15%. Press "D" to make sure that you are using the default black and white paint colours. You can use a soft brush, or a hard brush - they produce different results so play around with them.
- On your Refine layer paint with your brush. By painting in black you will add more sea, and painting in white will add more land.
Of course there are other techniques that can be used to make landmass. Jezelf has a couple tutorials (from making landmass to adding colour) that can be found here.
su_liam has written an excellent tutorial on how to generate landmass and height maps (so you can simulate hills and mountains with filters) in his tutorial Editing Noise Into Terrain - I wouldn't suggest this tutorial if you are just starting out however, as it can be quite hard for a beginner - you may be ok with this tutorial if you are fairly familiar with Photoshop.
The more you practice the better you will get, and faster. The first time I did the tutorials I took forever! Now I can create the basic landmass within a few minutes.
Post any thing that you have made, and we will be happy to leave feedback.
As you progress further, I suggest reading torstan's Assorted Tips and Tricks.
You may also want to check out Schwarzkreuz Realistic Coastline in Photoshop or make your life more easier; it makes a less-random coastline that still has all the benefits of using the cloud methods.