Need help with content for a map-making tool for iPad
Hey everyone! This is my first post here at Cartographer.
I've been scouring the net, looking for help with a project I'm doing--creating a map-making utility for the apple iPad.
The tool I'm creating is primarily intended for use in RPGs, to pair with my Dungeon Master Toolkit app. (My site is over at www.lvl99games.com for those interested in seeing that.)
So anyway, this application is a little different than most map editors in that it is not tile-based. Instead, users drag and drop static images onto the map, then rotate and scale them as desired. The map contains a library of images that can be combined in this way to create your map. What I am looking for are artists who would be interested in helping to create these static images, or perhaps even break down some of their older maps and convert them into individual images that I can use to populate the app. Anything would be great--from towns to interior dungeons, random objects, and even cartography markup like compass roses, roads, rivers, and squiggles of dragons to put over the oceans.
This is a commercial project, so of course I'm willing to pay a commission for these resource bundles, but likewise will be requiring a certain level of quality. Please email me (email@example.com) if you're interested, and post any questions here.
Thanks in advance to those who help!
* Commission range will vary based on the quantity and quality of art. Please contact me to discuss rates, and send me a link to some of your past works so I can get an idea of what you're capable of.
* I'm working within a timeline of about one month. So mid to end of June I would like to have all resources in my hands.
* I'm looking for top-down pieces in the style of the DnD battle maps. I only need individual resources (single houses, campfires, columns, items, and not entire maps)
Description of Map
* Size varies, since the users can stretch and scale to their individual needs. Consider the following three scales as acceptable:
** 1 square is a 5x5-foot area (battle map)
** 1 square is a 20x20-foot area (town)
** 1 square is a 10x10 mile area (country)
Actual squares in the app will be about 128 pixels by 128 pixels.
*Map pieces can range from fantasy to steam tech. Any setting is possible, but I would like to stay away from modern for the present. If you want to ask about a given setting, please email me.
Quality & Size
* High Quality
* Medium to High Detail
* Raster Images (or rasterized vector images)
* I will have the right to use the map pieces for commercial purposes.
* Users will be able to combine the map pieces to make maps, and will retain ownership of any maps they create.
* The original artist will retain the right to use the map pieces for use in map projects (including commercial), but not as individual tiles (you can use them in more of your own maps, provided that you don't just sell them as map tiles, but combine them to make other things.)
Last edited by RobA; 06-04-2010 at 01:27 AM.
Reason: added prefix
I moved this to the mapmaking request forum and added a [Paid] prefix as you indicated this is a paid commission request. Take a look at the forum stick post indicating information that can be provided to give more information to interested parties.
I sent you an email. Let me know if you don't get it.
Devin is helping with the indoor portions of the maps, but I still need someone who can help me with the outdoor maps. Anyone who specializes in outdoor terrain, send me a mail!
This commission is now filled. Thanks to everyone who responded about helping out!
Marked as such. Thanks for letting us know.
Originally Posted by Church
DevinNight and RecklessEnthusiasm did an excellent job of creating map tiles for my project in a professional, timely, and economical manner. Both are highly recommended by Level 99 Games and myself for their top notch work. The final results of the project can be seen here: http://www.lvl99games.com/?p=416
Last edited by Church; 07-11-2010 at 12:11 AM.