Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Huge World map request

  1. #1
      eneas is offline
    Guild Applicant
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2

    Post Huge World map request

    I need a map

    hehe I guess you all guessed that right?

    Well as I'm new to the forum forgive me for not knowing a lot about this. I don't have a clue on prices for maps and I guess what I need is maybe expensiver than what I intend.. Thx in advance for taking the time for this.

    I rule a game called Lords of the Earth you all maybe know. I'm the GM for the l53 game that is the only game in spanish (as far as I know) and also the only game free for all. What I want now is to start preparations for another game but this time has to be something diferent so I need a diferent map.

    Now into what you all want to know, what I want:

    I want a complet world map, divided in regions. I want a world with many islands and small continents. Some big contients too but 2 is more than enought, and big means something like Europe til the urals) so nothing really huge.

    I need mountains, small and big rivers, lakes, well everything. I don't need any building of any tipe, cos those would be represented with simbols.

    The actual map size i'm using is (acording to photoshop) 290.05x220.03 cm. and 8222 x 6237 pixels... I would like something maybe not as big, but more than half of it...

    I don't know anything about prices. This is not for making any profit so I'm happy to pay for it but I need to consider the costs...

    Oh, and forgive my english

  2. #2
      thebax2k is offline
    Guild Journeyer thebax2k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Posts
    226

    Post

    Eneas,

    Costs vary by the cartographer, but an 8x11 sheet (A4 in Europe and elsewhere in the world) by a professional will likely set you back from several hundred to over a thousand dollars US. Cost depends on the amount of detail, whether or not the map is in color, and the amount of layers and finishing required among other things. Best of luck to you.

    The cheapest (but most work intensive route) is to look at the tutorials on this site (there's a forum with tutorials in it) and ask pros like RobA, Torstan, Turgenev and others for pointers and do it yourself. Print shops and specialty printers such as Gamerprinter (no, I'm not shilling for him, but he does good work) can print your map out, even at large sizes. Note though, that a really large map may cost well over a hundred US to several hundred to print.

  3. #3
      jfrazierjr is offline
    Community Leader jfrazierjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Apex, NC USA
    Posts
    2,963

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by eneas View Post
    I need a map

    hehe I guess you all guessed that right?

    Well as I'm new to the forum forgive me for not knowing a lot about this. I don't have a clue on prices for maps and I guess what I need is maybe expensiver than what I intend.. Thx in advance for taking the time for this.

    I rule a game called Lords of the Earth you all maybe know. I'm the GM for the l53 game that is the only game in spanish (as far as I know) and also the only game free for all. What I want now is to start preparations for another game but this time has to be something diferent so I need a diferent map.

    Now into what you all want to know, what I want:

    I want a complet world map, divided in regions. I want a world with many islands and small continents. Some big contients too but 2 is more than enought, and big means something like Europe til the urals) so nothing really huge.

    I need mountains, small and big rivers, lakes, well everything. I don't need any building of any tipe, cos those would be represented with simbols.

    The actual map size i'm using is (acording to photoshop) 290.05x220.03 cm. and 8222 x 6237 pixels... I would like something maybe not as big, but more than half of it...

    I don't know anything about prices. This is not for making any profit so I'm happy to pay for it but I need to consider the costs...

    Oh, and forgive my english
    Welcome to the Guild eneas! A lot of good information, but anyone who might be available to do such a commission would need some more:


    • What style of map are you looking for? artistic, hand drawn look, atlas, etc
    • If I read you right, you need a large world map and multiple sub maps for individual regions. Of course, a hugh part of the price will also depend on the number of sub maps needed. If you already have a good idea, great, but if not, you may want to pay for the base map first and then as a separate transaction pay for submaps. So for example, you get you world map and after looking over it, you tell the artist "hey, I want a closer in map or x, y, and z locations" for a total of 1 world map + 3 submaps.\
    • Another thing to consider is that the more work required, the longer it will take and the more expensive. This is mainly pointing to your request for submaps, but also has some bearing on the level of detail.
    • Similar to above, timeline is another important factor. Many of our professionals may be glad to take on a commission, but having an expected date for some or all of the combined maps would be helpful. May of the artists are constantly working on commissioned works, so knowing what you timeline is would be helpful in them determining if they can meet your expectations or not.



    As for the first bullet item above, it would be hugely helpful if you were to look around the forums (or the internet for that matter) and post links to some styles that you would like emulated. A good place to start here are: Featured Maps, Finished Maps, and perhaps Tutorials/How-To for some examples of styles.

    Also, don't be surprised if you don't get any immediate feedback. As I stated, many of the people who do commissions are in the middle of existing projects.

    Finally, many(but not all) of the works posted here are either directly covered by a license which allows you to use the map at no charge(check the posts of course) or their owners are willing to allow them to be used by simple request. If you see a map you really like and see nothing about how it may be used, just send a PM to the artist to ask them. One good thing about using an existing work is that..well... it already exists...

    Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

  4. #4
      eneas is offline
    Guild Applicant
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2

    Post

    First of all thx for your quick helpfull reply

    I will try to answer all questions as much as I can

    Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    [*] What style of map are you looking for? artistic, hand drawn look, atlas, etc
    I will say more like an Atlas. The map will suffer changes as long as the game goes on, so I basically want something diferent, better than what has already been use, but at the same time simple.

    Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    [*] If I read you right, you need a large world map and multiple sub maps for individual regions. Of course, a hugh part of the price will also depend on the number of sub maps needed. If you already have a good idea, great, but if not, you may want to pay for the base map first and then as a separate transaction pay for submaps. So for example, you get you world map and after looking over it, you tell the artist "hey, I want a closer in map or x, y, and z locations" for a total of 1 world map + 3 submaps.\
    No, seems I didn't explained myself well enough. I need just one map. I need just the main huge map, the thing is I need it to be divided on regions. The regions is as easy as tracing frontier lines between them. I could do that myself but of course it will probably look better if anyone else does...

    Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    [*] Another thing to consider is that the more work required, the longer it will take and the more expensive. This is mainly pointing to your request for submaps, but also has some bearing on the level of detail.
    I don't need a big level of detail, it has to be a strategic map. I will point you to some maps from some games like the one I'm starting so you get my idea, basically I want the same, but better, I mean I can do a map myself even I have already maps for Europe Asia and Africa, even one with all together. But they all look quite poor...

    Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    [*] Similar to above, timeline is another important factor. Many of our professionals may be glad to take on a commission, but having an expected date for some or all of the combined maps would be helpful. May of the artists are constantly working on commissioned works, so knowing what you timeline is would be helpful in them determining if they can meet your expectations or not.[/LIST]
    I have no date, of course the sooner the better, but is nothing I really need for today. As I said I'm now starting my work on this and even when I wouldn't be able to do much til I have the map, I don't plan on starting anytime soon. Few months, even more if necesary...


    Ok, let me show you what is this all about.

    http://www.xmission.com/~bob/lote13/CurrMap/index.html

    Here you have a game with maps for real world. this is the basic normal map I use in my actual campaign. But I copypasted most of them to make my own one map, it's better for both players and me to work with one single map.



    http://www.theeurth.com/lords54/maps.html

    This looks like just what I want, not exactly the same aspect but something that just makes a diference.

    I want to see the mountains instead of just puting a simbol...

    builded structures are something I don't need and trees or similar either. It would be nice to see forests, deserts, but I'm looking for a big view, not detailed



    Take a look here http://lords.throneworld.com/ if you want to know more about the game...

    again thx a lot for your help

  5. #5
      jfrazierjr is offline
    Community Leader jfrazierjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Apex, NC USA
    Posts
    2,963

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by eneas View Post
    First of all thx for your quick helpfull reply

    I will try to answer all questions as much as I can



    I will say more like an Atlas. The map will suffer changes as long as the game goes on, so I basically want something diferent, better than what has already been use, but at the same time simple.



    No, seems I didn't explained myself well enough. I need just one map. I need just the main huge map, the thing is I need it to be divided on regions. The regions is as easy as tracing frontier lines between them. I could do that myself but of course it will probably look better if anyone else does...



    I don't need a big level of detail, it has to be a strategic map. I will point you to some maps from some games like the one I'm starting so you get my idea, basically I want the same, but better, I mean I can do a map myself even I have already maps for Europe Asia and Africa, even one with all together. But they all look quite poor...

    Ok, so something along the lines of the board games Risk or Axis & Allies or something like that. And it sound like it needs to be a totally fictional world instead of real world as your links represent.

    You might want to check out some of the postings by HandsomeRob who has done some incredible atlas style maps. I have no seen all of them, so I am not sure if he has a global map or not, but the individual regions/continents are stunning. If this is the type of thing you are looking for as a base, then you could content him by PM and he may be willing to tweak some of the aspects of the existing maps for you to taste.

    Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •