Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: [Paid] Anyone care to quote me a price for an "artistic" regional map?

  1. #1
      Aristotle is offline
    Guild Apprentice
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    30

    Post [Paid] Anyone care to quote me a price for an "artistic" regional map?

    I've been working on learning to map but my progress is slow and my need for the map is increasing. I don't have all of the details together yet, but I was wondering if I could get quotes for a map.

    I'm looking for a professional looking, print quality, map. Estimated print size will be 6.5"x6.5" and the estimated area depicted will likely be about 500 miles from side to side.

    The general style I'm looking for is computer-drawn. Examples of what I'm referring to include the work of Hapimeses and Butch of Zombie Nirvana. I'm particularly fond of recreating "pen and ink" techniques electronically. Such as the wood block lines Butch has used for water in his tutorials and stippling. Some of the other maps I'd like to do later might call for stippling or crosshatching. I don't need hand drawn town/city symbols. "Dots and stars," or some variation, are my general preference for marking settlements.

    I'd want the right to freely distribute the image physically and electronically. I'd want the right, or option to purchase the right, to use the image commercially. I'd want exclusive commercial right to it's usage, but the artist would retain the right to display or sell it as a work of art. I'd retain the right to reproduce the image in full, or in part, on my own or through a commision with another artist.

    Am I going about this right, or is my amateur showing? Is this even the best way to go about getting this done? If the price for this sort of thing turns out to be affordable for me, I could turn into a repeat customer. I have a number of city/town maps I'd like done in similar styles and possible some much simpler dungeon maps that I'm interested in having done if my own artistic talent doesn't start to return faster. Art isn't a bycicle and a decade without practice has left me sketchy. (pun!)

  2. #2
      jfrazierjr is offline
    Community Leader jfrazierjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Apex, NC USA
    Posts
    2,963

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Aristotle View Post
    I've been working on learning to map but my progress is slow and my need for the map is increasing. I don't have all of the details together yet, but I was wondering if I could get quotes for a map.

    I'm looking for a professional looking, print quality, map. Estimated print size will be 6.5"x6.5" and the estimated area depicted will likely be about 500 miles from side to side.

    The general style I'm looking for is computer-drawn. Examples of what I'm referring to include the work of Hapimeses and Butch of Zombie Nirvana. I'm particularly fond of recreating "pen and ink" techniques electronically. Such as the wood block lines Butch has used for water in his tutorials and stippling. Some of the other maps I'd like to do later might call for stippling or crosshatching. I don't need hand drawn town/city symbols. "Dots and stars," or some variation, are my general preference for marking settlements.

    I'd want the right to freely distribute the image physically and electronically. I'd want the right, or option to purchase the right, to use the image commercially. I'd want exclusive commercial right to it's usage, but the artist would retain the right to display or sell it as a work of art. I'd retain the right to reproduce the image in full, or in part, on my own or through a commision with another artist.

    Am I going about this right, or is my amateur showing? Is this even the best way to go about getting this done? If the price for this sort of thing turns out to be affordable for me, I could turn into a repeat customer. I have a number of city/town maps I'd like done in similar styles and possible some much simpler dungeon maps that I'm interested in having done if my own artistic talent doesn't start to return faster. Art isn't a bycicle and a decade without practice has left me sketchy. (pun!)

    Though this is not the style you are looking for, if you want something a bit more artsy, I could do something like Playing with mountains for free as long as you don't have a super tight timeline. Probably 2-3 weeks or so since my wife is having surgery next week. I will have quit a lot of time doing nothing while she it sleeping in the hospital.

    If this is too artsy, I understand totally.

    Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

  3. #3
      Ghalev is offline
    Publisher Ghalev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    100

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Aristotle View Post
    The general style I'm looking for is computer-drawn. Examples of what I'm referring to include the work of Hapimeses and Butch of Zombie Nirvana.
    Have you approached either of those folk directly? They might be game for it and then you'd get exactly in the zone you're looking for.

    I'm available for commissions pretty often (and, obviously, I do digital pen-and-ink) but I don't do those styles myself, alas, or I'd cite you a rate. An example of my own style is attached for reference, if you'd consider it as an alternative.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails [Paid] Anyone care to quote me a price for an "artistic" regional map?-grandma-august-draft.pdf  
    Last edited by Ghalev; 07-23-2008 at 11:53 AM.

    S. John Ross • Ghalev
    Who Dat? • Games • Fonts • Uresia

  4. #4
      ravells is offline
    Community Leader Gracious Donor ravells's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    10,901

    Default

    Thank you for such an excellent 'map requested' post, Aristotle. As far as I can see you have given all the right information which is a rare thing. In fact, I'm going to create a sticky based on the information you've given so that future 'map requests' will have a template for guidance.

    Good Luck with your map!

    Ravs

  5. #5
      Aristotle is offline
    Guild Apprentice
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    30

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Though this is not the style you are looking for
    Thanks for the offer! I tend to generalize maps as either artistic (looking hand drawn) or realistic (looking three dimensional or like a satelite image). I realize it is more complicated than that. I'm a fan of your style, but it isn't quite right for this project. I'll keep you in mind in the future.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghalev View Post
    Have you approached either of those folk directly? They might be game for it and then you'd get exactly in the zone you're looking for.

    I'm available for commissions pretty often (and, obviously, I do digital pen-and-ink) but I don't do those styles myself, alas, or I'd cite you a rate.
    I've not contacted them directly, but probably should. I have seen your work before and am a fan. It isn't exactly what I originally spec'd but it has potential. Feel free to quote me an estimate via PM.

    Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Thank you for such an excellent 'map requested' post, Aristotle.
    Wow, thanks! I just wanted to do my best not to waste anybody's time. I'm not going to be able to pay 'big publisher prices,' so I wanted to be clear on what I'm looking for.

    More quotes are welcome. There is so much talent here; I sometimes spend entire evenings just browsing the worlds presented on these forums.

  6. #6
      jfrazierjr is offline
    Community Leader jfrazierjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Apex, NC USA
    Posts
    2,963

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Aristotle View Post
    Thanks for the offer! I tend to generalize maps as either artistic (looking hand drawn) or realistic (looking three dimensional or like a satelite image). I realize it is more complicated than that. I'm a fan of your style, but it isn't quite right for this project. I'll keep you in mind in the future.

    I've not contacted them directly, but probably should. I have seen your work before and am a fan. It isn't exactly what I originally spec'd but it has potential. Feel free to quote me an estimate via PM.

    Wow, thanks! I just wanted to do my best not to waste anybody's time. I'm not going to be able to pay 'big publisher prices,' so I wanted to be clear on what I'm looking for.

    More quotes are welcome. There is so much talent here; I sometimes spend entire evenings just browsing the worlds presented on these forums.
    Another person that I would recommend is TheRedEpic. His maps are usually a bit more on the artistic side, but I personally love the feel. You can do a search for posts by him if you want to take a look and if interested, send him a PM. Unfortunately, he does seem to be in and out (as far as posting at least) so I don't know how much he checks his PM's. If nothing else, perhaps it's a style you might want to try to imitate yourself as your skills progress(I know I do, but have a long way to go!)

    There are plenty of other great artists here, my best suggestion is to check the Finished Maps section and the FeaturedMaps section to see if any others strike your fancy and then PM the artist. I personally really like the Manrathia map in the FeaturedMaps section and would love to have time to be able to sit down and try to map like that....

    Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

  7. #7
      Ghalev is offline
    Publisher Ghalev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    100

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Aristotle View Post
    I've not contacted them directly, but probably should. I have seen your work before and am a fan. It isn't exactly what I originally spec'd but it has potential. Feel free to quote me an estimate via PM.
    Yeah, as I said - I don't work in the styles you've specified, but I do a ... a distant cousin, so to speak (or in the case of Butch's work, more like a very distant uncle)

    I don't use PM, but feel free to email me at sjohn@io.com

    S. John Ross • Ghalev
    Who Dat? • Games • Fonts • Uresia

  8. #8
      Aristotle is offline
    Guild Apprentice
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    30

    Post

    Just an update for those potentially expecting a response from me. The funds I intended to use for this have been diverted. Stupid house. Anyway... as someone who was once a fairly competent amateur comic book penciler, I understand the value of an artists creative input and final product. I wouldn't want to go through with a commision without being able to compensate the artist fairly.

    That, combined with an hour looking at Ghalev's maps and various tutorials and thinking "I don't want to buy that, I want to be able to do that," have me back to trying to generate my own maps. It's rough going each night and I'm failing more than I'm succeeding right now, but I spent hours each evening sketching for years before people started to 'oh and ah' over my pencil work... I'm (hopefully correctly) reassuring myself each night that I'm on the same path now with the digital media.

    Thanks again for the responses, and if I find myself with the funds to support a commision, or realize that this is just not a skill I'm going to pick up, I may contact some of you individually to discuss having the work done.

  9. #9
      Ghalev is offline
    Publisher Ghalev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    100

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Aristotle View Post
    That, combined with an hour looking at Ghalev's maps and various tutorials and thinking "I don't want to buy that, I want to be able to do that [...]"
    I can at least assure you that there's no secret to any of it. It's just a matter of hammering away at your style until it pleases you. (Optionally, you can care if it pleases anyone else -- I've never tried this but I hear the kids are doing it these days)

    S. John Ross • Ghalev
    Who Dat? • Games • Fonts • Uresia

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •