Slobbovia: Game Board Needed for Play-by-Post [Taken]
I know I said I'd wait a little bit, but I thought I should go ahead and create a complete, in-depth explanation of what I'm looking for in the appropriate place.
Slobbovia was a Diplomacy variant set in a fantasy world that was played via a fan-made magazine from 1972 to 1986. By some measures, it was one of the first role-playing games ever made. Through a deal of effort on my part, I have been able to recover some of the "crunch" of the game such as the rules and the map, and I am interested in running a new version of the game. Unfortunately, the only full map I have found is very poor quality, and was sent to me in four separate sheets. In order to run this game online, I need a new map based on the old one, that is easier to edit and more attractive for players. I have the map, and I have a scrap of a later version that serves as a general style guide of what I would like to see.
The full map:
A few notes about the map:
- Diplomacy maps are often compared to Risk maps. The map is divided into land, sea, and coastal spaces, and each player builds armies and fleets. Each unit can move one space each turn, and can move to any adjacent space. Because of this, the map needs to show adjacency very clearly.
- Asides from maintaining the same connections between spaces, anyone accepting this project is free to redraw the provinces as they please.
- According to the information I could find, south is supposed to be at the top of the map, north at the bottom, etc. This is the orientation of the map I would like preserved. The sideways labels are from the pages being oriented portrait style in the magazine. Because I am planning on letting the players rename the provinces, anyone accepting this project doesn't need to preserve the place names.
- Some of the more confusing map elements are the mountains (^^^^) which are impassable borders, the mountain passes ( ][ ) which are spots where units can pass through, fords ( >----< ) where land units are able to cross bodies of water without boats, supply centers ( ● ) which are cities that let players build more armies/navies, coasts ( \\ ) which are indicated by double lines, and the desert ( |||||| ) which I don't believe has any in-game effects.
- Yes, there's a whale in the desert. It's a sand whale . I'm not married to the guy making it to the final product, but I think it adds character.
- Some provinces have a small ec, wc, nc, sc. These are short for east, west, north, south coasts. This is important for the players, because it indicates where fleets can move.
- On the far left of the map, there's a space called Isthmus of Krispness (IoK). I believe this space is supposed to have a canal or strait that is covered by the page split.
- Towards the lower center of the map there is a province called (AW). I'm not sure what it is supposed to be, but gameplay wise the province would be a literal fortress. I'm not sure if I should keep it in the game or not.
- At the far right of the map there is an island that got divided by the page scans. I'm fairly certain at least one of them had a supply center on it. I'm assuming that the "western" (leftmost) space had the supply center on it.
As a board game, each space needs to be large enough to hold a name or short description, a small unit (50x50 pixels maximum), indicate if the space has a supply center, only enough frills to indicate game-relevant features, and enough additional space to easily see colors indicating ownership. Honestly, the simpler the better; but ideally there would be enough details to make the map interesting to the players. I have been able to locate a small scrap of a later version of the map, and it's very close to the ideal I am looking for.
Quality & Size
Again, because this is intended to be run as a play-by-post game in a forum, I really only need a basic quality map. Black & white or flat colors is acceptable, although flat colors would be good too. To make sure it's easily read on most monitors I'm looking for a 1600x1200 pixel image, and any normal image filetype is fine.
I have no time constraint. This is just a hobby for me, and I expect anyone who assumes this project does cartography as a hobby too.
I just need reproduction rights for map to use it in the game. Slobbovia has (presumably) been open source for a long time now, and in that spirit I do not want to restrict your use of your own image.
Unfortunately due to budget constraints I cannot offer much in the way of compensation. However, to anyone that is willing to assume the project for a price I can negotiate up to ~$60 USD via PayPal, and am willing to purchase a $10 USD forum account to Something Awful to participate in the game on top of that negotiated price.
I believe this makes my fifth post in the forums. If not, please post in response and I can supply my email for you.
I look forward to working with any of the cartographers here, I have seen plenty of gorgeous maps here and am sure a small project like this would make a decent downtime activity for anyone to take on.
Last edited by Triskelli; 05-29-2014 at 04:31 AM.
Hey Triskelli, i read your request and i think i could help you.
I must say that I am a hobbist cartographer and I wont request any kind of payment.
So are you in?
I'll contact you with some more information via PM. Sorry for the delayed response.